Gearbox Undertray 8K2863822Q

4.2 V8 32v FSI - 444 bhp
Thundercliffe81
3rd Gear

Gearbox Undertray 8K2863822Q

Post by Thundercliffe81 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:14 am

Quick one.

I won't get into it other than to say Sytner West/North Yorks are useless and self serving.

Anyway! Bought car 2 months ago and this has fallen off. They won't replace. Crewe Audi quoted me the right price but I'm getting the Milltek fitted next week.

Is this part essential? Various descriptions online. Some simply filing it under 'noise insulation'. I'm sure it protects the gearbox from minor impact though? Or am I mistaken?

Cheers guys. I might have the stock OEM Sports Exhaust for sale if you know anybody interested in that too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

noidea
3rd Gear

Re: Gearbox Undertray 8K2863822Q

Post by noidea » Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:28 pm

Thundercliffe81 wrote:Quick one.

I won't get into it other than to say Sytner West/North Yorks are useless and self serving.

Anyway! Bought car 2 months ago and this has fallen off. They won't replace. Crewe Audi quoted me the right price but I'm getting the Milltek fitted next week.

Is this part essential? Various descriptions online. Some simply filing it under 'noise insulation'. I'm sure it protects the gearbox from minor impact though? Or am I mistaken?

Cheers guys. I might have the stock OEM Sports Exhaust for sale if you know anybody interested in that too.

How much for the stock exhaust? Just thinking ahead. Maybe better to have one fitted when I eventually sell. No plans yet though.
Drop me a pm.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Thundercliffe81
3rd Gear

Post by Thundercliffe81 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:30 pm

noidea wrote:
Thundercliffe81 wrote:Quick one.

How much for the stock exhaust? Just thinking ahead. Maybe better to have one fitted when I eventually sell. No plans yet though.
Drop me a pm.

Rgr, will do bud.

Madelvic
3rd Gear

Post by Madelvic » Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:44 pm

My gearbox tray is hanging in there with cable ties. It is not much better than cardboard and would not protect the gearbox in the slightest. Poss more to do with keeping crap out and airflow under the car

Suspect if the car grounds it gets ripped

How much were they quoting for the parts?
Macan GTS
Boxster S
Previously
Audi RS4 B8
Audi S4 B8
Audi S4 B6
Nissan GTR,
Lotus Elise 111R,
Caterham,
Golf GTi Mk 1, Mk 2, Mk 3, Mk 4, VR6,
Various SAAB Turbos
Peugeot 205 GTi,
RS2000

Thundercliffe81
3rd Gear

Post by Thundercliffe81 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:02 pm

Grittle wrote:My gearbox tray is hanging in there with cable ties. It is not much better than cardboard and would not protect the gearbox in the slightest. Poss more to do with keeping crap out and airflow under the car

Suspect if the car grounds it gets ripped

How much were they quoting for the parts?
Yeah it's a strange material isn't it? Kinda cardboard/plastic-like.

£75 for parts and they wanted £132.50 fitted Image I said bugger off. Should be replacing it free. Full stop. I'll get a good look under it when the Milly goes on next week.

Surrey Sam
Cruising

Post by Surrey Sam » Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:44 am

Have a read on this thread for Miltek fitment - viewtopic.php?f=121&t=121447&start=75
Sepang Blue B8 RS4, MY14, All option packs, B&O, Adv Key, Adapt Cruise, Pan Roof, Akrapovic Titanium Exhaust, + more.
Previous - Sprint Blue B7 RS4 Avant, Ceramics, Sunroof, SS+, Buckets, FBSW, Bluetooth, 2010+ RNSe
Previous - Phantom Black B7 RS4 Avant, Black Optics, Titan pack, SS+, Buckets, FBSW

Thundercliffe81
3rd Gear

Post by Thundercliffe81 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:50 am

Surrey Sam wrote:Have a read on this thread for Miltek fitment - viewtopic.php?f=121&t=121447&start=75
Hi Sam.

I followed this intently back in the day haha. One of things that prompted me to ask about the undertray. I think he refers to a different one further up that gets a bit hot and melts. I'll confirm now.

Cheers.

Surrey Sam
Cruising

Post by Surrey Sam » Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:00 pm

Yeah it looks like a scoop rather than undertray. Just worth noting, as I saw that you were getting a Miltek fitted.

You ordered a CR15 brace yet?
Sepang Blue B8 RS4, MY14, All option packs, B&O, Adv Key, Adapt Cruise, Pan Roof, Akrapovic Titanium Exhaust, + more.
Previous - Sprint Blue B7 RS4 Avant, Ceramics, Sunroof, SS+, Buckets, FBSW, Bluetooth, 2010+ RNSe
Previous - Phantom Black B7 RS4 Avant, Black Optics, Titan pack, SS+, Buckets, FBSW

Thundercliffe81
3rd Gear

Post by Thundercliffe81 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:16 pm

Surrey Sam wrote:Yeah it looks like a scoop rather than undertray. Just worth noting, as I saw that you were getting a Miltek fitted.

You ordered a CR15 brace yet?
That, my good man, is next on the list. I've been keeping an eye on the Facebook link and seems to still be available. Can't go wrong for that price.

Hopefully be a long time before I have to replace the DRC so that brace could be a nice little addition in the interim.

Audi said they couldn't hear the door rattles that Deano so clearly pointed out. Winds me up. I am not Deano and taking them interior door covers off is frightening haha. But I'm gonna give it a go over Christmas I think. Or speak to CM tuning when I get the exhaust fitted.

Does the brace improve ride comfort on any noticeable level? Dialling out understeer is main aim for me but that would be decent too in the mean time. Have you been to Center of Gravity?

Surrey Sam
Cruising

Post by Surrey Sam » Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:39 pm

DRC is a great system, better than coilovers unless you want a one trick pony. I'd think carefully before ditching it.

The CR15 brace improves driving feel and the way the car handles bumps/deflection, the front end becomes sharper and more solid, I wouldn't say that it has an effect on understeer though. To do that, you'll want adjustable top arms and a visit to Centre of Gravity to sort out a customised alignment.

I swear the cold brings out these rattles, got to chase down a couple myself :roll:

Thundercliffe81
3rd Gear

Post by Thundercliffe81 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:06 pm

Surrey Sam wrote:DRC is a great system, better than coilovers unless you want a one trick pony. I'd think carefully before ditching it.

The CR15 brace improves driving feel and the way the car handles bumps/deflection, the front end becomes sharper and more solid, I wouldn't say that it has an effect on understeer though. To do that, you'll want adjustable top arms and a visit to Centre of Gravity to sort out a customised alignment.

I swear the cold brings out these rattles, got to chase down a couple myself :roll:
Oh you're right. It does. It's got noticeably worse in past few weeks. My B8.5 S4 had it too. So got to be the B&O housing.

Whilst I agree the DRC does a 'superb' job of keeping the car flat in corners, dynamic is just too damn sketchy on our roads. On a smooth track (I suspect Audi tuned it for this) it would shine but, it's simply unusable where I live. You have to back off more often than in comfort setting (Individual damping).

But then comfort is just that bit too wallowy. And then we come to the maintenance costs. We all know it, it's just obscene. And when one side goes, you invariably have to sort the other. I don't think it will be an easy swap but I do feel there is a middle ground with a bit of tweaking.

Might order the CR15 in January.

Surrey Sam
Cruising

Post by Surrey Sam » Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:36 pm

Ah you've fallen into the Comfort/Dynamic trap, I did that for the first 6 months.

Honestly. Use Auto for your Individual suspension setting, as that uses Comfort at low speed <20mph and then switches to half way setting, which is less aggressive than Dynamic >20mph. Audi should've really called it Sport, so that'd it go Comfort>Sport>Dynamic, as that makes more sense.

Thundercliffe81
3rd Gear

Post by Thundercliffe81 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:16 pm

Surrey Sam wrote:Ah you've fallen into the Comfort/Dynamic trap, I did that for the first 6 months.

Honestly. Use Auto for your Individual suspension setting, as that uses Comfort at low speed <20mph and then switches to half way setting, which is less aggressive than Dynamic >20mph. Audi should've really called it Sport, so that'd it go Comfort>Sport>Dynamic, as that makes more sense.
Exsqueeze me?? Baking powder? There's a 'middle suspension setting'?!

Are you being serious?

noidea
3rd Gear

Post by noidea » Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:20 pm

Thundercliffe81 wrote:
Surrey Sam wrote:Ah you've fallen into the Comfort/Dynamic trap, I did that for the first 6 months.

Are you being serious?

Yes run in automatic in individual and you will have the best of both worlds.

Thundercliffe81
3rd Gear

Post by Thundercliffe81 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:22 pm

noidea wrote:
Thundercliffe81 wrote:

Are you being serious?

Yes run in automatic in individual and you will have the best of both worlds.

Oh. My. Days.

Clearly I haven't read through the forum enough. This sounds too good to be true. Trying it first thing tomorrow. Many thanks guys. I didn't realise I was caught in the trap Image

Return to “RS4 (B8 Typ 8K) 2012-2016”