DIY exhaust install

4.2 V8 32v FSI - 444 bhp
wideboy
Neutral

DIY exhaust install

Post by wideboy » Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:20 am

Hey Team,

Picked up a milltek and keen to get it on!

Anyone here fitted their own exhaust? If so how much hassle was it? I've done a few before on other cars with no issue but the downpipes look to have the potential to be a real PITA... If it's a hassle i'm happy to pay somebody else to cut their knuckles and swear at the car!

Does the milltek fit the standard downpipes if I chose not to use the milltek down pipes, and just fit the non-res and backboxes? If so, does anyone know if there's a downside?

Thanks

MK2Golf24v
2nd Gear

Re: DIY exhaust install

Post by MK2Golf24v » Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:00 pm

Taking off the downpipes is a mega pain in the ass. The nuts are on the top side of the flanges, and if they are in any way rusted it’s near impossible! Audi do a specific tool for B8 platform V8 downpipes nuts!!

Other than that it’s pretty easy. I cut mine at the factory cut locations to make it easier to remove/store.

Surrey Sam
Cruising

Post by Surrey Sam » Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:26 pm

I did my own system from axle stands but that didn't include downpipes. It was a bit awkward doing it by myself, as I decided to leave the OEM system as one piece rather than cut it. Just use some ratchet straps so that it doesn't fall onto you.

DeanoC fitted a set of Miltek downpipes and had to do some tweaking from memory, due to it touching and knocking somewhere. I quite fancy adding some of the new JHM ones, but probably end up not liking it.
Sepang Blue B8 RS4, MY14, All option packs, B&O, Adv Key, Adapt Cruise, Pan Roof, Akrapovic Titanium Exhaust, + more.
Previous - Sprint Blue B7 RS4 Avant, Ceramics, Sunroof, SS+, Buckets, FBSW, Bluetooth, 2010+ RNSe
Previous - Phantom Black B7 RS4 Avant, Black Optics, Titan pack, SS+, Buckets, FBSW

wideboy
Neutral

Post by wideboy » Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:10 pm

Thansk for the replies folks.
MK2Golf24v wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:00 pm
Taking off the downpipes is a mega pain in the ass. The nuts are on the top side of the flanges
As I thought when I looked at it, meh. I see you're signature is in Abdn, any recommendations for a place to get it fitted if I get lazy? Was thinking about Bavaria Auto but never used them. Assuming they'll take a bit more care than an exhuast garage like national...

Surrey Sam wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:26 pm
I did my own system from axle stands but that didn't include downpipes.
Was that the milltek system? Any issues?

Cheers

MK2Golf24v
2nd Gear

Post by MK2Golf24v » Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:56 pm

DJ Autowerk in Whitecairns.

They are spot on boys, they do work for a lot of people I know, and myself, one of the only places i’d trust.

wideboy
Neutral

Post by wideboy » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:48 pm

Quick update, used motorwerks in Aberdeen to fit it.

They had lots of fun and had to cut a couple of bolts to get the old downpipes out.

Glad I left it to them and a great bunch of guys with lots of experience (they're a milltek dealer too).

Return to “RS4 (B8 Typ 8K) 2012-2016”