B8 RS4 Are they really that bad?

4.2 V8 32v FSI - 444 bhp
Toffeebananas
1st Gear

B8 RS4 Are they really that bad?

Post by Toffeebananas » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:49 pm

Hi all!
Would be most grateful for any advice please . . . .

I have previously owned a B7 RS4 a few years ago. And have now decided to look at getting a B8. After spending a little time reading the posts on hear, im a little worried to all the problems people seem to be having with their cars. Some even getting rid they are so bad . . . .

Are they really that bad? Or is it the case there are hundreds of these cars, and you only hear about the bad ones which makes them all look bad?

I was horrified when I got a quote from Audi for extended warranty and it was nearly £1200 for a car with 30k on the clock. It doesn't give you much faith in the car, its like them saying its more than likely going to go wrong!

I did have problems with my B7. New gear box, DRC issues. And yes I did have problems with Audi honouring warranty. I am just worried the B8 is far more advance, meaning far more expense. I don't know what to do :-/

Thundercliffe81
3rd Gear

Re: B8 RS4 Are they really that bad?

Post by Thundercliffe81 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:05 pm

Hey bud.

There are some good, recent threads going on. Getting into the common issues and how to combat them. The sticky has some great advice on what to look for in terms of history and indeed, how to keep on top of good maintenance.

Some had gearbox issues. Straight out of factory. But I think you're right with what you're saying. You hear the bad stories. Now I'm hoping nothing happens with mine haha. DRC is something I'm planning ahead for when my used warranty runs out.

I've started a thread on that and there's different options been pitched in for it. Apart from that, I just plan on good, timely maintenance and some smart mods. I wonder if simply putting money aside and building a repairs pot is better than Audi warranty. It's an insurance policy anyway. Not a warranty.

The stock parts that could go wrong probably will go wrong and they know that. But you'd void your extended warranty if you changed those parts to reliable aftermarket parts. Backwards isn't it?! And let's be honest, if a gearbox goes, do we really think Audi are going to honour that and put a new one in? I've seen this not happen. And that was just a few weeks after buying it used.

It's a cracking car. Has its faults.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PSB1
4th Gear

Post by PSB1 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:50 pm

Can't add anything to the detail Sam has provided.

I would say though that it's much more than the sum of its parts.The 'numbers' (bhp. torque, acceleration etc.) aren't stellar but it's one of those cars which really gets under your skin.

Personally, I'd buy it purely for the arches.

Edit - Sam? Not sure why I said that? - The post above me, anyway.....
Last edited by PSB1 on Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Current 2017 991.2 GT3 - Manual, 918 Buckets / CS pack, Guards, the dog's.
Gone 2016 991.1 GTS PTS Voodoo Blue - best car to date, 2015 911.1 GTS, Carmine, PDK, interior pack, stunning, 2016 Carmine Cayman GTS, PDK + toys, 2015 RS5 Cab, 2012 Discovery 4 family wagon, 2014 Golf R, 2015 Cayman GTS, 2014 RS4, Sepang with most of the toys, SQ5, S4, S5, A5, A6.

Silverfox42
4th Gear

Post by Silverfox42 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:05 pm

Other than DRC issues, which were covered and completely sorted under warranty, I have had no issues with mine and am on 55k miles now.

Saying that, I came from a stock B7 RS 4 and had no problem with that either other than 'sweating' shocks as an advisory in the last year I had it.

I have an extended warranty, which as mentioned in this thread is purely an internal claim mechanism. Its an Audi. Expensive OEM parts, and high hourly rate for service staff.

If you pull the trigger on a B8, good luck!
2017 RS6 Performance
Previous:
2006 RS4 B7 Cab, 2014 RS4 - Suzuka + a ton of toys, 2011 RS5, spec'd up + ABT exhaust, 2006 B7 RS4 'loon - 5 years of fun! 2006 Aston V8 Vantage, 2006 S4 Cab, 2005 S4 Avant, 2000 TT 225 Cab, 2001 2.5 A4 TDI Quattro, 2000 A4 1.8T Sport, 1996 2.6 80 Cab, 1997 A4 1.8 T Sport

Thundercliffe81
3rd Gear

Post by Thundercliffe81 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:07 pm

Leonard Stanley wrote:Can't add anything to the detail Sam has provided.

I would say though that it's much more than the sum of its parts.The 'numbers' (bhp. torque, acceleration etc.) aren't stellar but it's one of those cars which really gets under your skin.

Personally, I'd buy it purely for the arches.
I didn't want to say it but so true Image

Toffeebananas
1st Gear

Post by Toffeebananas » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:46 am

Thanks for you replys Guys, I think I will go for it. B8 RS4 just looks so much better than the C63 AMG which was my other idea.
I'm after a black one with the wing back buckets and the 20" rotors. I went to see the one Fountain have got in Monday.

Thundercliffe81
3rd Gear

Post by Thundercliffe81 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:18 am

Toffeebananas wrote:Thanks for you replys Guys, I think I will go for it. B8 RS4 just looks so much better than the C63 AMG which was my other idea.
I'm after a black one with the wing back buckets and the 20" rotors. I went to see the one Fountain have got in Monday.
Excellent Image The sticky that Sam put up is comprehensive about service history on these. Be thorough and patient, and you'll be grand!

C63 is an absolute event every time you turn the key. It's muscular and the steering is great. Mates got the performance pack with the SLS internals and wow. Giggle machine it is. But the styling in the RS4 is better and he nearly spun out in a bit of rain. Enjoy the hunt!

Covkiller
Top Gear

Post by Covkiller » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:18 pm

A C63 is certainly a missile and sounds great. The RS4 B7 B8 and B9 are much better looking cars than the C Class Mercedes which looks so ordinary.
Good choice going for the B8 as the technology lift over the B7 is well worth it. Black with sports seats and 20"s, you need to get some photos up as soon as you get one.
Good luck with the hunt, I love buying cars. :thumbs:
RS4 B7, Mugello Blue, K&W V3 & HR ARBs, set up by Centre Gravity, Milltek Valved Non Res & cat bypass pipes, BMC air filter, braided hoses, DOT 5.1, Terraclean, MRC Full Carbon Clean, MRC remap 448PS 477NM, 20" S7 alloys with 4mm spacers & Hawke spigots 66.6 > 57.1, AP Racing front discs. Sold Sept 2019. Now rocking an F80 M3

Macdaddy
4th Gear

Post by Macdaddy » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:02 am

Owned mine from new for 3.5 years and it didn't put a foot wrong.

Great car that i kept for longer than i usually keep cars and only traded as the 6 caught my eye.

No one comes on the forums to say "wow another day gone by and not one issue" they usually come on to ask for advice about issues, they are certainly no worse than any other car.
B7 RS4 Cabriolet with custom Blueflame - Gone
Misano red RS3 running Stage 1 APR - Gone
Sepang B8 RS4 with buckets - Gone
Panther Black C7 RS6 - Current Daily

innercry666
3rd Gear

Post by innercry666 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:48 pm

I had mine for 3 years and it had a few issues sorted under warranty but it was an awesome car. Despite moving to a 6 I still miss the high revving NA V8.
RS6 PE - Current
RS4 (B8.5) 2015 - Sold
A4 3.0 TDI Quattro BE Avant - Gone
Focus ST170 - Garaged

MEV
4th Gear

Post by MEV » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:10 am

Bad?? Surely its all about personal choice right? Personally, I have had 3 RS4's from each generation and a 6 + as well as a number of other top end marques including recently an Aston. I can honestly say there no better all rounder than a 4 in my opinion. You get practicality mixed with sublime power and a good level of technology and comfort and some fab options for your money. Just make sure you get the right spec. Of course you will see lots of things written about issues and faults but that's why people use a forum and yes no car is perfect. I would suggest that the same applies to any AMG specific forum. I agree with all the points made but in my opinion if you Shop around make sure the servicing schedule is spot on and shes had all the love and plenty of attention made of her, then perhaps like all high end ladies, she will pay you back in spades! Enjoy and don't worry too much, just make sure you have all your boxes ticked! :wink:
B7 RS4 - 07 Phantom, Silver leather, 59k. Current
B5 RS4 - 01 Avus, B7 Brake kit, Miltek cat back, Sroof, leather, optics. 66k. Current
B8 RS4 - Sepang, BO, Roof, Sports Sold
C5 RS6 + # 296 Ebony black, full optics, titans, carbon and natural leather - sold and missed
B7 RS4 Avant Daytona Pearl, black optics, SS+, buckets, privacy. Sold
B5 RS4 - MRC 420. Gone but not forgotten.

Return to “RS4 (B8 Typ 8K) 2012-2016”