B8 suspension opinion

4.2 V8 32v FSI - 444 bhp
Thundercliffe81
3rd Gear

Re: B8 suspension opinion

Post by Thundercliffe81 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:45 pm

fivetones wrote:The KW DDC for the B8 isn’t controlled by the car’s electronics (in Drive Select) and has a separate ECU and button that needs installing (or you can pay for the WLAN control and use a phone).

I’m on KW HAS on standard DRC currently but plan to go V3 soon. The KW springs are significantly better but the DRC dampers aren’t controlled enough for me. I’ll also be upgrading my ARBs to H&R to keep things nice and flat.

I’ve got to decide on whether I’ll want to run low enough that I’ll need the HLS4 lifters but I’m getting off topic now.
This is where my head is at.

I don't have DRC issues at present (touch wood) but they just don't seem reliable. I've looked at the HAS kit from KW off the back of this thread and it does seem like a pretty good idea actually. Makes sense. I'd like to keep the ability to use drive select for damping but the DRC is just too pricey.

The DDC also looks pretty invasive to me and I don't fancy hacking about or having someone else cut into the ECU and wiring. Watched a fair few installs last night on this.

So, if you go KW3 with updated ARBs, you'd get the damping control cancellation kit yeah? For the stock system. Is there a sweet spot, a 'one fits all' solution, that would make ride quality comfortable yet sporty? I think body roll is the determining factor in handling/cornering for me on a big car like this. It's why I think the premise behind DRC is great. As long it's working haha.

This is a good video:

https://youtu.be/RWrXM4yBpnE

Doesn't focus on the DDC at all but has plenty to say about the KW3 improvements. I presume the H&R ARBs are gonna cancel out any body roll? Anyway, glad to know others are thinking about this. I won't be doing it until I sense initial DRC issues. Individual mode is set up for 85% of my driving. Dynamic can be used just not in a lot of situations where I live. Too skittish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fivetones
1st Gear

Post by fivetones » Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:46 pm

Normal (coilover etc) suspension can have very little roll if set up correctly. It can also be very comfortable and handle well if engineered for the vehicle well.

Tbh, the H&R ARB is possibly a little overkill (I had considered bigger OEM off other Audi models), but while it’s all apart I may as well go H&R.

And yes, I’ll need to blank off the DRC pipes if I leave the DRC pumps/pipes in there (for later refitting etc).
RS4 B8 Porsche Riviera Blue

Thundercliffe81
3rd Gear

Post by Thundercliffe81 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:48 pm

fivetones wrote:Normal (coilover etc) suspension can have very little roll if set up correctly. It can also be very comfortable and handle well if engineered for the vehicle well.

Tbh, the H&R ARB is possibly a little overkill (I had considered bigger OEM off other Audi models), but while it’s all apart I may as well go H&R.

And yes, I’ll need to blank off the DRC pipes if I leave the DRC pumps/pipes in there (for later refitting etc).
Keen to see the build on this. See how you get on.

You're right about a good coilover set up. A car doesn't have to have DRC in order to handle directional change well at speed. And KW know what they're doing. While it's apart, it could be a good opportunity to remove the DRC? Shed some weight there if you did Image Or would it just be crazy labour intensive?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fivetones
1st Gear

Post by fivetones » Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:30 pm

I use the car all the time so I’ll keep it simple, also it’s not impossible the car goes back to standard if ever sold.

As for a build, I’ll get around to that at some point soon. Few other parts going on soon too so after that.
RS4 B8 Porsche Riviera Blue

Return to “RS4 (B8 Typ 8K) 2012-2016”