Wingback retro fit in B8, how to resolve side airbag light

4.2 V8 32v FSI - 444 bhp
jangol
4th Gear

Wingback retro fit in B8, how to resolve side airbag light

Post by jangol » Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:49 pm

Hi all,

Was hoping my old C5 RS6 scan tool would work, as I have an airbag light on.

Can anyone suggest a scan tool, used this on my old RS6 Image

Also his came up today Image

Any ideas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Surrey Sam
Cruising

Re: What hand held scan tool works with B8

Post by Surrey Sam » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:16 pm

VCDS works for me, the programme is loaded onto a laptop and then you plug the cable in and connect. You can do a lot of stuff with it.

Odd how that airbag light has just popped up, I did notice when you first posted pictures of your car that the Bucket seats are retrofitted and obviously the steering wheel re-trimmed. So maybe a connector/wire come loose? It'll have logged a code which will help point you in the right direction. If your anywhere near me, then I'll happily pull the codes for you.
Sepang Blue B8 RS4, MY14, All option packs, B&O, Adv Key, Adapt Cruise, Pan Roof, Akrapovic Titanium Exhaust, + more.
Previous - Sprint Blue B7 RS4 Avant, Ceramics, Sunroof, SS+, Buckets, FBSW, Bluetooth, 2010+ RNSe
Previous - Phantom Black B7 RS4 Avant, Black Optics, Titan pack, SS+, Buckets, FBSW

jangol
4th Gear

Post by jangol » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:14 pm

Surrey Sam wrote:VCDS works for me, the programme is loaded onto a laptop and then you plug the cable in and connect. You can do a lot of stuff with it.

Odd how that airbag light has just popped up, I did notice when you first posted pictures of your car that the Bucket seats are retrofitted and obviously the steering wheel re-trimmed. So maybe a connector/wire come loose? It'll have logged a code which will help point you in the right direction. If your anywhere near me, then I'll happily pull the codes for you.

Thanks @surreysam yep you know your stuff, buckets were retro fitted, notice today after you mentioned both yellow plus under both front seats have their 2 wires cut I’m assuming, rather then both snapping together

I’m based in Bedfordshire so assuming your a bit of drive from me...

I’m MacBook man, so don’t have a laptop handy to me.. hence the hand held option request...

jangol
4th Gear

Post by jangol » Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:13 pm

fault code 01217/01218
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_ ... are_type=t

My issue sounds like this a bit, however, why would it just come on if it is this???

jangol
4th Gear

Post by jangol » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:22 am

Contacted previous owner who said when they were professionally installed they would have had resistors fitted for air bags..

What’s the likelihood they’ve failed? Where would I find them to check??

Surrey Sam
Cruising

Post by Surrey Sam » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:09 am

Resistors and professional I wouldn't perhaps use together. The buckets don't have side airbags in them, so like I commented in that thread you linked, the car needs to be re-coded so that it doesn't look for them. The resistors are a work around to try fool the system.

So I'd suggest that's where your problem is (the cut wires). It may be a resistor that has failed, incorrectly sized or a solder joint gone bad, you'll need to look under the seat as that's where the plugs are. Undo all 4 seat rail bolts and then tip the seats backwards for a better look, grab a picture and then post back and I might be able to see what's going on.
Sepang Blue B8 RS4, MY14, All option packs, B&O, Adv Key, Adapt Cruise, Pan Roof, Akrapovic Titanium Exhaust, + more.
Previous - Sprint Blue B7 RS4 Avant, Ceramics, Sunroof, SS+, Buckets, FBSW, Bluetooth, 2010+ RNSe
Previous - Phantom Black B7 RS4 Avant, Black Optics, Titan pack, SS+, Buckets, FBSW

jangol
4th Gear

Post by jangol » Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:00 am

Surrey Sam wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:09 am
Resistors and professional I wouldn't perhaps use together. The buckets don't have side airbags in them, so like I commented in that thread you linked, the car needs to be re-coded so that it doesn't look for them. The resistors are a work around to try fool the system.

So I'd suggest that's where your problem is (the cut wires). It may be a resistor that has failed, incorrectly sized or a solder joint gone bad, you'll need to look under the seat as that's where the plugs are. Undo all 4 seat rail bolts and then tip the seats backwards for a better look, grab a picture and then post back and I might be able to see what's going on.

Cheers again, will give it a go at the weekend, unless the way forward is getting it coded??! I

jangol
4th Gear

Post by jangol » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:12 pm

ImageImage

Pics of passenger side plugs??

jangol
4th Gear

Post by jangol » Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:45 pm

jangol wrote:Image
ImageImage

Pics of passenger side plugs??

Any views of the pics..

Want to see what thoughts are on this subject

Surrey Sam
Cruising

Post by Surrey Sam » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:48 am

Well the Blue and Black wires have been cut and they're for the side airbags, have you un-ravelled the tape going down the side of the yellow connector to see what going on there. That's your side airbag plug and where the resister should be I'd have thought.

Here's mine (normal seats) for reference.

Airbag Connector.jpg

jangol
4th Gear

Post by jangol » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:19 pm

Surrey Sam wrote:Well the Blue and Black wires have been cut and they're for the side airbags, have you un-ravelled the tape going down the side of the yellow connector to see what going on there. That's your side airbag plug and where the resister should be I'd have thought.

Here's mine (normal seats) for reference.

Airbag Connector.jpg
Thanks for pic,

Will take a look under the tape...

P’s might take you up on your offer & drive down for access to your machine 🤭

Surrey Sam
Cruising

Post by Surrey Sam » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:27 pm

Sure thing :thumbs:

jangol
4th Gear

What hand held scan tool works with B8

Post by jangol » Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:52 pm

Professional install my butt.. Not an ounce of solder anywhere. Anyhow, any ideas on how I can resolve this issue, do the black & blue cables from main loom need to join the yellow plug & resistor also?

or just need a good purchase between plug & resistor ImageImage

Ian_C
Cruising

Post by Ian_C » Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:08 pm

jangol wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:52 pm
Professional install my butt.. Not an ounce of solder anywhere. Anyhow, any ideas on how I can resolve this issue, do the black & blue cables from main loom need to join the yellow plug & resistor also?

or just need a good purchase between plug & resistor ImageImage

Quality bodging! :bash:
B5 B6 B7 B9

jangol
4th Gear

Post by jangol » Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:43 pm

Noted & trying to resolve,

What resistor amp should I be using??

Also any write ups of what needs to be done... or is it just the plug that needs a resistor.

Trying to make things right

Return to “RS4 (B8 Typ 8K) 2012-2016”