Gearchanges - Double clicking

4.2 V8 32v FSI - 444 bhp
Surrey Sam
Cruising

Gearchanges - Double clicking

Post by Surrey Sam » Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:55 pm

Been playing around with the car and when using the gear paddles, I've found that you can double click and it will change gear twice. So say you're cruising along in 4th and decide to overtake, you can double click the down paddle and it'll change down to 2nd missing out 3rd.

Don't think it's a 'design' feature but seems to work, so thought I'd share.
Sepang Blue B8 RS4, MY14, All option packs, B&O, Adv Key, Adapt Cruise, Pan Roof, Akrapovic Titanium Exhaust, + more.
Previous - Sprint Blue B7 RS4 Avant, Ceramics, Sunroof, SS+, Buckets, FBSW, Bluetooth, 2010+ RNSe
Previous - Phantom Black B7 RS4 Avant, Black Optics, Titan pack, SS+, Buckets, FBSW

Madelvic
3rd Gear

Re: Gearchanges - Double clicking

Post by Madelvic » Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:55 pm

Thanks Sam - look forward to trying it
Macan GTS
Boxster S
Previously
Audi RS4 B8
Audi S4 B8
Audi S4 B6
Nissan GTR,
Lotus Elise 111R,
Caterham,
Golf GTi Mk 1, Mk 2, Mk 3, Mk 4, VR6,
Various SAAB Turbos
Peugeot 205 GTi,
RS2000

Geoff A
2nd Gear

Post by Geoff A » Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:22 pm

Been doing this a while on downshifts - easy block change from 7 to 5th, and a useful feature when you want to snap it out of a lazy D mode.
A lot of dsg's will do it, but it's in the timing of the paddle flicks, so you need to be swift with the double click.

Surrey Sam
Cruising

Post by Surrey Sam » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:56 am

Yes, it takes a little practice to get the double click just right.
Sepang Blue B8 RS4, MY14, All option packs, B&O, Adv Key, Adapt Cruise, Pan Roof, Akrapovic Titanium Exhaust, + more.
Previous - Sprint Blue B7 RS4 Avant, Ceramics, Sunroof, SS+, Buckets, FBSW, Bluetooth, 2010+ RNSe
Previous - Phantom Black B7 RS4 Avant, Black Optics, Titan pack, SS+, Buckets, FBSW

Thundercliffe81
3rd Gear

Post by Thundercliffe81 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:39 pm

Oooooh. Gonna give this a go today. I've found going from D to S on the gear lever can be a bit uncomfortable for the car if it's not at right speed. Mainly when slowing down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Surrey Sam
Cruising

Post by Surrey Sam » Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:09 pm

Having the gear selector in Sport will mean that the gear changes both up and down are harsher, as the second clutch is disengaged quicker. Full throttle, also takes far less throttle pedal movement in S.

Thundercliffe81
3rd Gear

Post by Thundercliffe81 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:00 pm

Surrey Sam wrote:Having the gear selector in Sport will mean that the gear changes both up and down are harsher, as the second clutch is disengaged quicker. Full throttle, also takes far less throttle pedal movement in S.
Yeah to be honest I'm just finding my way with it. Very violent downshifts in S. Prefer manual changed on paddles but the box is very quick indeed. Loving it.

The double tap gearbox changes are pretty cool/handy. Just tried some. Not as much of a blip but presume that's something to do with computer reacting. Very handy to just drop a couple if you're already in manual Image

Surrey Sam
Cruising

Post by Surrey Sam » Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:15 pm

Yeah I think Sport could have been better developed by Audi as gears are held far too long, then as you say. Down changes at lower speeds too harsh. So it's Manual or D for me.

Thundercliffe81
3rd Gear

Post by Thundercliffe81 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:19 pm

There's some great novelty and sound to be had from manually shifting to first (at low speeds). It's probably a dumb question as I can't see any mechanical positives haha but, I should stay away from doing that, right?

The ZF in my B9 S4 seemed fine with it. Only on things like tight switch-backs etc. Much more robust box though I imagine.

Madelvic
3rd Gear

Post by Madelvic » Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:51 pm

Nice one Sam. Cracking wee feature; works brilliantly for me
Macan GTS
Boxster S
Previously
Audi RS4 B8
Audi S4 B8
Audi S4 B6
Nissan GTR,
Lotus Elise 111R,
Caterham,
Golf GTi Mk 1, Mk 2, Mk 3, Mk 4, VR6,
Various SAAB Turbos
Peugeot 205 GTi,
RS2000

Surrey Sam
Cruising

Post by Surrey Sam » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:21 pm

Grittle wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:51 pm

Excellent, glad some people are finding it good :thumbs:

Thundercliffe81 wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:19 pm
There's some great novelty and sound to be had from manually shifting to first (at low speeds). It's probably a dumb question as I can't see any mechanical positives haha but, I should stay away from doing that, right?

The ZF in my B9 S4 seemed fine with it. Only on things like tight switch-backs etc. Much more robust box though I imagine.
That type of useage should be fine, as long as it's not excessive. Afterall the car is rev matching to equal road speed, so the tranmission should be fine with that. I think Porsche encourage people to use 1st in their GT cars, but the PDK system is even better than S-Tronic.

Thundercliffe81
3rd Gear

Post by Thundercliffe81 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:26 pm

Surrey Sam wrote:
Grittle wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:51 pm

Excellent, glad some people are finding it good :thumbs:

Thundercliffe81 wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:19 pm

That type of useage should be fine, as long as it's not excessive. Afterall the car is rev matching to equal road speed, so the tranmission should be fine with that. I think Porsche encourage people to use 1st in their GT cars, but the PDK system is even better than S-Tronic.
Excellent. Thanks for that mate.

Yes, that PDK is something. Hoping the new RS6 gets it. I'll Probably get that in about 15 years. Image

Return to “RS4 (B8 Typ 8K) 2012-2016”