Rear End Slip!?

4.2 V8 32v FSI - 444 bhp
Flighty
Neutral

Rear End Slip!?

Post by Flighty » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:37 pm

Hi All,

Posting this at risk of sounding rather silly, but I am hoping a more experienced owner can share their thoughts and experience...

I have recently taken ownership of RS4 B8 with Sports Package etc etc. and having owned / regularly driven a couple of 'Quattro' (S3, RS3) cars previously, I am trying to get my head round how the handling feels on the RS4.

A couple of times recently, when going round rather tight 20-30mph corners, it has felt as if the rear end is slipping out. I cannot tell if this is because of recent rain and greasy roads, or if the Sports diff setting has anything do to with it or if its Tyres?

I have never run Pirelli P Zeros before so have no experience with their grip levels, but all 4 tyres are very new with circa 6-7mm tread left on them.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Flighty
Last edited by Flighty on Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Broken Record
Neutral

Re: Rear End Slip!?

Post by Broken Record » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:55 pm

Do you have the car in dynamic or the sports diff set to dynamic?
I have P Zero's on mine, not the best for these cars I'm told but mine does the same if the sports diff is set to dynamic, which makes the car really good fun, you will get used to the way it handles, they have torque vectoring to each wheel and they don't slip very far, keep your foot in and have some fun....
does it happen when in comfort mode?

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:20 pm

I assume you know the difference between the all wheel drive systems on the rs3 and rs4? Just in case you don't; the rs3 uses the haldex system which sends all the power to the front wheels until one of them loses grip then redirects power. Essentially it behaves similar to a front wheel drive car and will understeer when pushed.
The rs4 uses the Torsen system which sends something like 60% of power to the rear wheels under normal use and then redirects power if any of the wheels starts to slip. This makes the car behave much more likens rear wheel drive car and will oversteer when pushed (I'm ignoring the fact that in many situation the heavy weight of the v8 at the from will also make it push wide at the front, but on slippy roads the back end will step out more easily than on an rs3).
OK that aside, P zeros are shocking in wet or damp conditions.

Flighty
Neutral

Post by Flighty » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:34 pm

Broken Record wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:55 pm
Do you have the car in dynamic or the sports diff set to dynamic?
I have P Zero's on mine, not the best for these cars I'm told but mine does the same if the sports diff is set to dynamic, which makes the car really good fun, you will get used to the way it handles, they have torque vectoring to each wheel and they don't slip very far, keep your foot in and have some fun....
does it happen when in comfort mode?
Thanks Broken Record!

I am not getting the feel for the P Zeros to be honest, I have run Pilot Sport 4S's on my last car and couldn't fault them, so I am thinking I will swap. The Sports diff was in Dynamic, which might explain it!

I have not had the car in comfort mode as of yet, maybe I should experiment...

Flighty
Neutral

Post by Flighty » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:39 pm

MikeFish wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:20 pm
I assume you know the difference between the all wheel drive systems on the rs3 and rs4? Just in case you don't; the rs3 uses the haldex system which sends all the power to the front wheels until one of them loses grip then redirects power. Essentially it behaves similar to a front wheel drive car and will understeer when pushed.
The rs4 uses the Torsen system which sends something like 60% of power to the rear wheels under normal use and then redirects power if any of the wheels starts to slip. This makes the car behave much more likens rear wheel drive car and will oversteer when pushed (I'm ignoring the fact that in many situation the heavy weight of the v8 at the from will also make it push wide at the front, but on slippy roads the back end will step out more easily than on an rs3).
OK that aside, P zeros are shocking in wet or damp conditions.
Thank you Mike Fish, that explanation does help. The car does feel more like a rear wheel drive car but felt particularly slippy on the rear today. I think I need to get used to it and watch out for the P Zero & greasy road conditions around here at the minute. Sounds like I need to get a set of new tyres ordered in!

Flighty

innercry666
3rd Gear

Post by innercry666 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:48 pm

MPSS all round should transform the car...
RS6 PE - Current
RS4 (B8.5) 2015 - Sold
A4 3.0 TDI Quattro BE Avant - Gone
Focus ST170 - Garaged

Flighty
Neutral

Post by Flighty » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:18 pm

innercry666 wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:48 pm
MPSS all round should transform the car...
Thanks innercery666! I am going to be ordering a set as were fantastic on my S3

Return to “RS4 (B8 Typ 8K) 2012-2016”