Buying a cat D B8

4.2 V8 32v FSI - 444 bhp
Jonesy36
Neutral

Buying a cat D B8

Post by Jonesy36 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:07 am

Hello,

New prospective rs4 owner here... so hello! :bigwave:

Looking for cars and a Cat D car came up, front end damage repaired to an excellent standard. Been to see it and looks good. Well specc'd car. Under 40k miles and late 2014 and pretty immaculate condition.

I've owned cat C cars before albeit at the other end of the value scale so understand the pro's and con's. Also know the person selling so have some confidence it has been done properly.

My concern is resale. Anyone have any kind of idea how much a cat D should be valued at and how much would it go for vs a non cat D car?

Thanks

bam_bam
Cruising

Re: Buying a cat D B8

Post by bam_bam » Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:44 pm

It will be about the same percentage you're getting knocked off what you're paying for this one, it ain't rocket surgery, sheesh!
No matter where you go, there you are.

Madelvic
3rd Gear

Post by Madelvic » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:56 pm

It should be 25% less than a non Cat D. Guess you’ll be paying starting with a 2
Macan GTS
Boxster S
Previously
Audi RS4 B8
Audi S4 B8
Audi S4 B6
Nissan GTR,
Lotus Elise 111R,
Caterham,
Golf GTi Mk 1, Mk 2, Mk 3, Mk 4, VR6,
Various SAAB Turbos
Peugeot 205 GTi,
RS2000

johnnydog
3rd Gear

Post by johnnydog » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:14 am

If you are planning on keeping it for some considerable length of time, and you are happy it has been done to good standard, then it may be worth it for the saving on the purchase price outlay. But if you are only going to be keeping it for a short while, I wouldn't bother. Don't forget you are obliged to disclose the fact it is a Cat D whenever you sell it,which to most people will bring alarm bells.
When my car was last in at Audi for a service, there was a white B8 RS4 in which I looked at purely out of interest. A mechanic approached me, and knowing I had an RS4, told me in conversation that the car (which to me looked excellent apart from a few alloy scuffs) was in for tests as the owner was complaining about poor handling at higher speeds etc. The mechanic had driven it and described it as "horrible to drive". It was established that the car had had a heavy impact at the front and was being returned to the owner to be returned to the garage where it had been bought from for a refund as the garage had not disclosed the previous accident damage. Possibly an arguement for buying from a reputable garage, and ensuring that at least a HPI is done before purchase.
I personally wouldn't be interested in it, dispite the financial saving.

noddy
2nd Gear

Post by noddy » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:47 am

I know some people who only buy cat d’s, but you need to be in it for the long run as you limit your sales market to private or garages who deal in cat d’s. You can have it inspected and an alignment check for a few hundred quid. Check the airbags self check on start up and the passenger airbag disabled works also. Belt tensioners should have been replaced also. Personally I would only ever put 10k max into a cat d and plan it to not be worth any more than 2k after 4 years.
A badly diy repaired cat d will cost you more than a straight one in the long run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “RS4 (B8 Typ 8K) 2012-2016”