Should i buy a B8? EDIT: NOW BOUGHT!

4.2 V8 32v FSI - 444 bhp
Gareth81
Neutral

Re: Should i buy a B8?

Post by Gareth81 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:24 pm

Funny enough I'm selling my B8 for a Camper!!
However, if it doesn't sell....will give me time to save and get a Camper to run alongside the RS4.

slidingaround
Neutral

Post by slidingaround » Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:03 pm

Dal wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:21 pm
Just do it...I moved from a B7 and haven’t looked back, I would echo the comments about depreciation, it’s the last of the V8’s a well specced one should not lose a pile of money. As for reliability get a warranty and drive on. They are a great car, bar moving to a B9 there is nothing else I could replace it with.
Thanks, good to know. The one I'm looking at has some nice extras apart from the pan roof which I'm not overly bothered about.
Not sure on Warranty, to use the garages warranty i may buy from or the Audi extended Warranty.

Audi Warranty is £1,292.51 based on, All component cover, £250 excess and doing under 10,000 miles a year. Anyone managed to negotiate that price? Or is it strictly online no movement on price?
Anyone has issues getting work done under the extended warranty?

slidingaround
Neutral

Post by slidingaround » Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:05 pm

Gareth81 wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:24 pm
Funny enough I'm selling my B8 for a Camper!!
However, if it doesn't sell....will give me time to save and get a Camper to run alongside the RS4.
I wanted to keep both but finances wouldn't allow it. Miss the camper already.
Looking forward to the RS4 though.

innercry666
3rd Gear

Post by innercry666 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:27 pm

Once you have driven it you will have your answer...
RS6 PE - Current
RS4 (B8.5) 2015 - Sold
A4 3.0 TDI Quattro BE Avant - Gone
Focus ST170 - Garaged

innercry666
3rd Gear

Post by innercry666 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:30 pm

There something special about taking a high reving NA V8 and grabbing it by the scruff of the neck. Totally different driving experience to turbo cars...
RS6 PE - Current
RS4 (B8.5) 2015 - Sold
A4 3.0 TDI Quattro BE Avant - Gone
Focus ST170 - Garaged

slidingaround
Neutral

Post by slidingaround » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:31 am

innercry666 wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:30 pm
There something special about taking a high reving NA V8 and grabbing it by the scruff of the neck. Totally different driving experience to turbo cars...
:P

Alex@Fontain
Trader (Expired)

Post by Alex@Fontain » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:40 am

innercry666 wrote:
I think what you've just described is the "I want one" factor and B8s are really good on that front.

What you probably won't fully appreciate on a test drive is the feeling when it's pushed that bit harder, the stability and sure-footedness never leaves but when you start asking a bit more from the chassis and come out of a bend under power there's this lovely feeling that the car's really woken up and is properly keying in to the surface. You almost expect it to start feeling like the limiting factor is the lateral grip from the front tyres but it doesn't, the back squats down, the diff shuffles a bit of power around, and the nose stays absolutely nailed onto the course you ask of it. They don't feel rear driven as such but they do feel characteristically FOUR wheel drive, there's a distinct sensation that they work all 4 contact patches evenly to let you get the most out of it. And it'll do exactly the same in the rain. And the V8 absolutely sings.

Is an M4 faster? Yes. Will you care? Nope.

noddy
2nd Gear

Post by noddy » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:27 am

Alex@Fontain wrote:
innercry666 wrote:
I think what you've just described is the "I want one" factor and B8s are really good on that front.

What you probably won't fully appreciate on a test drive is the feeling when it's pushed that bit harder, the stability and sure-footedness never leaves but when you start asking a bit more from the chassis and come out of a bend under power there's this lovely feeling that the car's really woken up and is properly keying in to the surface. You almost expect it to start feeling like the limiting factor is the lateral grip from the front tyres but it doesn't, the back squats down, the diff shuffles a bit of power around, and the nose stays absolutely nailed onto the course you ask of it. They don't feel rear driven as such but they do feel characteristically FOUR wheel drive, there's a distinct sensation that they work all 4 contact patches evenly to let you get the most out of it. And it'll do exactly the same in the rain. And the V8 absolutely sings.

This 100%, if you drive around at 30mph in dynamic it will make you feel sick, but press on and everything comes together. Press the comfort button when cruising, the car is better damped and more refined than most top end diesels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bizzo
Neutral

Post by Bizzo » Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:22 pm

slidingaround wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:03 pm
Dal wrote:
Just do it...I moved from a B7 and haven’t looked back, I would echo the comments about depreciation, it’s the last of the V8’s a well specced one should not lose a pile of money. As for reliability get a warranty and drive on. They are a great car, bar moving to a B9 there is nothing else I could replace it with.
Thanks, good to know. The one I'm looking at has some nice extras apart from the pan roof which I'm not overly bothered about.
Not sure on Warranty, to use the garages warranty i may buy from or the Audi extended Warranty.

Audi Warranty is £1,292.51 based on, All component cover, £250 excess and doing under 10,000 miles a year. Anyone managed to negotiate that price? Or is it strictly online no movement on price?
No negotiation at all on price - I called them and they simply referred me to the website and all warranties should be bought through that. Doesn't come in to effect for a month after you've signed up. So worth it for peace of mind in my opinion.

Silverfox42
4th Gear

Post by Silverfox42 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:22 pm

I have had my '14 plate B8 almost 4 years with Audi Warranty (remainder of 3 year warranty + took 12 months last July), had 3 DRC shocks replaced + a brake fault (sensor) all sorted under warranty, so plan on keeping the warranty going. The All component cover with £100 XS is £850 or so. Car is under 53k and I do less than 10k miles.

Only reason I can think that your extended warranty quote is higher is that there may have been a break between the standard warranty ending and the extended warranty quote? Or the car has over 60k miles?

I had a B7 for 4 years, a 2011 RS5 for about 5 minutes (kids hated the lack of space in the back) and the current B8 is looking likely to stay a lot longer. Depreciation has been about £12k in almost 4 years. This is on par with the depreciation of the B7. Sadly I lost about £3k on the RS5 as just wanted it gone!

As previously stated, the B7 to B8 platform sees you get a more digital experience by better tech, wide range of comfort and drive settings, and I still look back at it with a smile after all this time.

Good luck in your search and purchase
2017 RS6 Performance
Previous:
2006 RS4 B7 Cab, 2014 RS4 - Suzuka + a ton of toys, 2011 RS5, spec'd up + ABT exhaust, 2006 B7 RS4 'loon - 5 years of fun! 2006 Aston V8 Vantage, 2006 S4 Cab, 2005 S4 Avant, 2000 TT 225 Cab, 2001 2.5 A4 TDI Quattro, 2000 A4 1.8T Sport, 1996 2.6 80 Cab, 1997 A4 1.8 T Sport

slidingaround
Neutral

Post by slidingaround » Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:11 am

Alex@Fontain wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:40 am
innercry666 wrote:

Nice explanation, looking forward to it.

slidingaround
Neutral

Post by slidingaround » Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:13 am

Bizzo wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:22 pm
slidingaround wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:03 pm
Dal wrote:

No negotiation at all on price - I called them and they simply referred me to the website and all warranties should be bought through that. Doesn't come in to effect for a month after you've signed up. So worth it for peace of mind in my opinion.
Yeah i think i will take one out with Audi. Too much to go wrong huh?

slidingaround
Neutral

Post by slidingaround » Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:14 am

Silverfox42 wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:22 pm
I have had my '14 plate B8 almost 4 years with Audi Warranty (remainder of 3 year warranty + took 12 months last July), had 3 DRC shocks replaced + a brake fault (sensor) all sorted under warranty, so plan on keeping the warranty going. The All component cover with £100 XS is £850 or so. Car is under 53k and I do less than 10k miles.

Only reason I can think that your extended warranty quote is higher is that there may have been a break between the standard warranty ending and the extended warranty quote? Or the car has over 60k miles?

I had a B7 for 4 years, a 2011 RS5 for about 5 minutes (kids hated the lack of space in the back) and the current B8 is looking likely to stay a lot longer. Depreciation has been about £12k in almost 4 years. This is on par with the depreciation of the B7. Sadly I lost about £3k on the RS5 as just wanted it gone!

As previously stated, the B7 to B8 platform sees you get a more digital experience by better tech, wide range of comfort and drive settings, and I still look back at it with a smile after all this time.

Good luck in your search and purchase
Thanks for taking the time to post.
Its only done 30k or so, so it must be the break between warranties i guess.

Dal
2nd Gear

Post by Dal » Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:58 am

Alex@Fontain wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:40 am
innercry666 wrote:

Could not put it any better 👍👍
B8 RS4 in the fastest colour :smile_smoking:

PA_RS4
Neutral

Post by PA_RS4 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:54 pm

Nicely put Alex!

As a new owner to a B8, I echo the comment about the 4WD feel, but for the size of the car, it shifts when required and (unexpectedly) handles those corners as described. Coming from a 911, there is a little more roll in corners, even in dynamic mode, but hardly fair to compare given the weight difference and no. of passengers they fit!
Current: RS4 B8 Panther Black
Audi E-tron (daily driver)
Previous:
BMW X3 330 MSport, Carbon Black
Porsche 911 997 C2S Manual, Basalt Black
BMW 330d Manual MSport Convertible

Return to “RS4 (B8 Typ 8K) 2012-2016”