Should i buy a B8? EDIT: NOW BOUGHT!

4.2 V8 32v FSI - 444 bhp
slidingaround
Neutral

Should i buy a B8? EDIT: NOW BOUGHT!

Post by slidingaround » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:53 pm

Hi All,

New to the forum and looking at getting an Audi RS4 B8.
Iv'e wanted one of these for a while and am still debating getting one of these or a T6 camper. (A contrast i know)

Those of you who own one shall i pull the trigger? Im pretty close to buying a 64 plate but just need that extra convincing?
Still haven't test driven one yet, will that make up my mind for me? :)
Last edited by slidingaround on Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

slidingaround
Neutral

Re: Should i buy a B8?

Post by slidingaround » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:54 pm

One of my concerns is the depreciation, do you think these will fall fast from here due to the release of the B9 or do you think they will keep there value fairly well due to the last of the V8?

noddy
2nd Gear

Post by noddy » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:58 pm

Depends why you want one. My reason was to have something practical and comfortable, but at a flick of the lever it turns into an animal that is composed and refined. At the same point you can use all the power anytime of the year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

noddy
2nd Gear

Post by noddy » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:02 pm

Historically the rs4 holds its value well. The b8 sold less than half the numbers of the b7, the b7 is holding well and the b8 is the last of the v8’s.

slidingaround
Neutral

Post by slidingaround » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:04 pm

noddy wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:58 pm
Depends why you want one. My reason was to have something practical and comfortable, but at a flick of the lever it turns into an animal that is composed and refined. At the same point you can use all the power anytime of the year.

Same reason for me i guess, its the posts I'm reading on reliability thats getting me worried, you can find that on any car forum i suppose.

slidingaround
Neutral

Post by slidingaround » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:06 pm

noddy wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:02 pm
Historically the rs4 holds its value well. The b8 sold less than half the numbers of the b7, the b7 is holding well and the b8 is the last of the v8’s.

Oh really, half?
I just don't want to loose a ton of money on it in a couple of years.
I loved the B7 at the time but for me the B8 is the nicest out the bunch (inc B9)

noddy
2nd Gear

Post by noddy » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:51 pm

slidingaround wrote:
noddy wrote:

Oh really, half?
I loved the B7 at the time but for me the B8 is the nicest out the bunch (inc B9)
B7 was saloon and avant, and b8 was not much quicker on paper so not much of a big seller. Arguably the the b7 is the most aggressive looking too, so not many owners moved over. In general the consensus is the b8 is a nicer place to be and a better Jekyll and Hyde. I’m in it for the long run (4-5 years), I expect to loose around 12k, vs 18k on a similarly priced diesel. Take your chance on reliability, but buy any powerful car and you will read horror stories.

RS4LAD
3rd Gear

Post by RS4LAD » Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:20 pm

Surreysam wrote a great review somewhere of the b8 and from what I remember it was very positive

Covkiller
Top Gear

Post by Covkiller » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:41 am

B7's are getting old now with lots of problems to be had. B8 is the way to go if you like a bread van. If you're well healed, then go for the B9.
As for speed, they're all fast.
RS4 B7, Mugello Blue, K&W V3 & HR ARBs, set up by Centre Gravity, Milltek Valved Non Res & cat bypass pipes, BMC air filter, braided hoses, DOT 5.1, Terraclean, MRC Full Carbon Clean, MRC remap 448PS 477NM, 20" S7 alloys with 4mm spacers & Hawke spigots 66.6 > 57.1, AP Racing front discs. Sold Sept 2019. Now rocking an F80 M3

BeavistheCat
Neutral

Post by BeavistheCat » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:38 am

I can only echo some of the above comments. It took me, ooh, 3 weeks to pull the trigger. For me it was quite simple, I needed the practicality of an estate (I like the reference to bread van), but with the ability to do silly things. I was coming off a long period of running "hot-ish" Volvo Q Cars, and to be honest the RS4 was the only realistic upgrade - RS6 too big, and I do not like many aspects of Benz offerings.
I guess at the end of the day, it will be a question of which wins out - practicality or joy. Only you can decide which is more important to you.
The RS4 is a complex bit of steel. It could become ruinously expensive if you get unlucky. All cars have the capacity to drain your wallet - it is simply a question of whether you think it is worth it. I have no regrets taking the plunge - even my teenagers are interested in it, and trust me a phone or some garish trainers holds greater allure to them.
Just remember that you will become very acquainted with the Petrol Attendant in the RS.

slidingaround
Neutral

Post by slidingaround » Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:51 pm

noddy wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:51 pm
slidingaround wrote:
noddy wrote:

Oh really, half?
B7 was saloon and avant, and b8 was not much quicker on paper so not much of a big seller. Arguably the the b7 is the most aggressive looking too, so not many owners moved over. In general the consensus is the b8 is a nicer place to be and a better Jekyll and Hyde. I’m in it for the long run (4-5 years), I expect to loose around 12k, vs 18k on a similarly priced diesel. Take your chance on reliability, but buy any powerful car and you will read horror stories.

Thanks for your thoughts, sounds reasonable.

slidingaround
Neutral

Post by slidingaround » Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:53 pm

RS4LAD wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:20 pm
Surreysam wrote a great review somewhere of the b8 and from what I remember it was very positive
Thanks will check it out.

slidingaround
Neutral

Post by slidingaround » Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:53 pm

Covkiller wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:41 am
B7's are getting old now with lots of problems to be had. B8 is the way to go if you like a bread van. If you're well healed, then go for the B9.
As for speed, they're all fast.
B8 it is! :lol:

slidingaround
Neutral

Post by slidingaround » Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:55 pm

BeavistheCat wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:38 am
I can only echo some of the above comments. It took me, ooh, 3 weeks to pull the trigger. For me it was quite simple, I needed the practicality of an estate (I like the reference to bread van), but with the ability to do silly things. I was coming off a long period of running "hot-ish" Volvo Q Cars, and to be honest the RS4 was the only realistic upgrade - RS6 too big, and I do not like many aspects of Benz offerings.
I guess at the end of the day, it will be a question of which wins out - practicality or joy. Only you can decide which is more important to you.
The RS4 is a complex bit of steel. It could become ruinously expensive if you get unlucky. All cars have the capacity to drain your wallet - it is simply a question of whether you think it is worth it. I have no regrets taking the plunge - even my teenagers are interested in it, and trust me a phone or some garish trainers holds greater allure to them.
Just remember that you will become very acquainted with the Petrol Attendant in the RS.
I won't be doing to many miles as long as i keep the same job so not too worried about the petrol.
I think i just need to pull the trigger, otherwise its going to be in my mind until i eventually get one anyway.
I guess its just nice to hear some owners point of view.

Dal
2nd Gear

Post by Dal » Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:21 pm

Just do it...I moved from a B7 and haven’t looked back, I would echo the comments about depreciation, it’s the last of the V8’s a well specced one should not lose a pile of money. As for reliability get a warranty and drive on. They are a great car, bar moving to a B9 there is nothing else I could replace it with.
B8 RS4 in the fastest colour :smile_smoking:

Return to “RS4 (B8 Typ 8K) 2012-2016”