How much does spec affect price?

4.2 V8 32v FSI - 444 bhp
Madelvic
3rd Gear

How much does spec affect price?

Post by Madelvic » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:49 pm

Wondering what peoples thoughts are?

Missing the odd option on a well spec'd car wouldn't make much difference, but what would the price differential be for a base car, no leather, 19s no packs vs the same age and mileage but with all the options?

Prompted partly by the 'looking to buy thread' - yes cars are available sub £30k now but price has to be reflected to shift poverty spec cars
Macan GTS
Boxster S
Previously
Audi RS4 B8
Audi S4 B8
Audi S4 B6
Nissan GTR,
Lotus Elise 111R,
Caterham,
Golf GTi Mk 1, Mk 2, Mk 3, Mk 4, VR6,
Various SAAB Turbos
Peugeot 205 GTi,
RS2000

Terminator_X
3rd Gear

Re: How much does spec affect price?

Post by Terminator_X » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:23 pm

Slightly O/T base spec RS3s were sent to dealers as demo's. Grim bum basic spec with most still sat at the dealers as unable to shift them. I simply would not buy one, too many nicely spec'd cars out there.

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Bendelaurence
2nd Gear

Post by Bendelaurence » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:55 pm

I bought mine 2 weeks ago. I looked at loads of cars! LOADS! The one I ended up with had the following:

MY14 - HDD NAV with 7.5" display, DAB radio & Power Tailgate
Full Leather
Heated front seats
Bang & Olufsen
Black Styling package
Privacy glass
Audi Connect
Sports Package - 20" Wheels, Sports Exhaust, Dynamic Ride Control & Dynamic Steering.
Driver Assistance Package - Reverse camera, Lane Assist & Adaptive Cruise Control
Storage Package - Lockable Glovebox, Front underseat stowage bins, Rear seat netting/map holders & rear seat cupholders in armrest

I had an 800 mile round trip to collect it. I could have got another one 30 mins away if I was willing to go without heated seats and Driver Assistance Package. The thing is, once you've seen one with the options you like, its hard to buy a car missing something. So assuming everyone else feels the same, id say I low spec car would be a nightmare to shift, which would definitely hit the final sale price in the end,

The original car I looked at had nothing! Completely stock, im so glad I researched properly instead of diving in on a wim.

murph7355
3rd Gear

Post by murph7355 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:03 am

As above, I'd wait for the right car unless a base spec was VERY cheap - will be hard to shift on otherwise.

noddy
2nd Gear

Post by noddy » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:00 am

From experience, the condition of the car and colour makes more of a difference. Blue & grey being most desirable red & silver being the least, with white and black somewhere in the middle.
Standard poverty spec alcantara I find more comfortable than leather and ages much better, I would bin my DRC off (less worry) for standard suspension too if I had the option.
Unfortunately, I had B&O in my previous A5 and after listening to the standard system I walked away until I found one with.
You tend to find more poverty spec rs3's than 4's, and even less 6' & 7's. This is because people don't just jump from a basic car into the RS brand at the top level, so don't recognise the benefits to high spec an RS3.

Madelvic
3rd Gear

Post by Madelvic » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:04 pm

Thanks all

It’s a bit of a hypothetical question. Curious say between basic spec price through a garage for a 13 reg 40k miles car or a 14 reg 30k miles car

I looked at a trade against a Macan Turbo and garage quoted the WeBuyAnyCar as a guide as they often do but that in no way reflects variance in price or the options on my car

The Macan for info is £49k in the garage. They’ve had it for 4 months and gave £50k as a trade. It is
a well spec'd car but missing some extras I wouldn’t want to live without. The WBAC price for the same is £41k

I’m not going to pursue the porker but got me wondering what the price spread is for RS4s based on spec
Macan GTS
Boxster S
Previously
Audi RS4 B8
Audi S4 B8
Audi S4 B6
Nissan GTR,
Lotus Elise 111R,
Caterham,
Golf GTi Mk 1, Mk 2, Mk 3, Mk 4, VR6,
Various SAAB Turbos
Peugeot 205 GTi,
RS2000

N13LXC
3rd Gear

Post by N13LXC » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:37 pm

Grittle wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:04 pm
Thanks all

It’s a bit of a hypothetical question. Curious say between basic spec price through a garage for a 13 reg 40k miles car or a 14 reg 30k miles car

I looked at a trade against a Macan Turbo and garage quoted the WeBuyAnyCar as a guide as they often do but that in no way reflects variance in price or the options on my car

The Macan for info is £49k in the garage. They’ve had it for 4 months and gave £50k as a trade. It is
a well spec'd car but missing some extras I wouldn’t want to live without. The WBAC price for the same is £41k

I’m not going to pursue the porker but got me wondering what the price spread is for RS4s based on spec
you should pursue the porker!

I made the move to a Macan Turbo with PP - awesome car and I'm not sure I'd be any slower in it than the B8...also, I think the noise is better...
Current: 991.2 GTS, Q5 Sline 45TFSI
Mrs Car: A220d AMG line
My Previous (All Gone/Going):Macan Turbo PP, c350e, Golf GTD, B8 RS4 Nogaro, VW Tiguan, 8V S3, A1, B8 RS4, A5 cab, Golf GTTDI Mk6, VW Golf GTTDI Mk4, Clio 197, TT Roadster 1.8T (163), Clio 182, Megane, Clio, Astra

Return to “RS4 (B8 Typ 8K) 2012-2016”