Audi Connect

4.2 V8 32v FSI - 444 bhp
Bendelaurence
2nd Gear

Audi Connect

Post by Bendelaurence » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:30 pm

Hi guys, just trying to figure out this Audi connect.....

Do you have to have a sim? Can it not just use the internet connection from your phone?

and the sim..... is that a sim from Audi? or from a phone Shop with a contract? im confused.....

Thanks B. :audibash: :blackrs4:

Madelvic
3rd Gear

Re: Audi Connect

Post by Madelvic » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:52 pm

Depends on the phone. Audi Connect doesn't work with an iPhone for DATA so I have a phone-Shop sim in the dash. Something to do with Apple not implementing a data sharing api on their hardware. I believe Androids work but not tried one. Best solution I could find is a '3' Trio SIM that gives you 12Gb for 12 months for approx £30 (prices vary a bit). Amazon or Argos. '3' shops charge more!

iPhone works fine for calls bluetooth etc

As well as online services (main benefit I find is real time traffic status and petrol prices when the car needs fuelled) I also use the myAudi app, both on my phone or through a web browser

MyAudi enables you to see the service record of your car and best part is you can find a place on the map, save it in myAudi and it syncs to the Nav. So if I'm going somewhere I use this neat interface to load the destination up on my laptop and then it is ready in the car. No messing around with postcodes etc

Actually like it despite it's not leading edge tech
Macan GTS
Boxster S
Previously
Audi RS4 B8
Audi S4 B8
Audi S4 B6
Nissan GTR,
Lotus Elise 111R,
Caterham,
Golf GTi Mk 1, Mk 2, Mk 3, Mk 4, VR6,
Various SAAB Turbos
Peugeot 205 GTi,
RS2000

Madelvic
3rd Gear

Post by Madelvic » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:57 pm

iPhone is missing support for rSAP or remote sim access profile. Plenty of stuff on the web about iPhone not working in Audis. What phone do you have?
Macan GTS
Boxster S
Previously
Audi RS4 B8
Audi S4 B8
Audi S4 B6
Nissan GTR,
Lotus Elise 111R,
Caterham,
Various SAAB Turbos
Peugeot 205 GTi,
RS2000

Bendelaurence
2nd Gear

Post by Bendelaurence » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:08 pm

Grittle wrote:iPhone is missing support for rSAP or remote sim access profile. Plenty of stuff on the web about iPhone not working in Audis. What phone do you have?
iPhone unfortunately. That sim sounds like a good idea. Do you think 12Gb is enough for a year? I thinking, may as well try it for a year, if I’m not using it by then I can just chuck it...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Madelvic
3rd Gear

Post by Madelvic » Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:38 pm

I think the 12Gb is plenty. Current SIM has been in for a month and I've used less than 1Gb. Previous one lasted all year. Was about the only offer that worked - didn't want a monthly sub, nor a SIM that lasted 30 days. Cost up a bit, now £35 at Argos but still worth it
Macan GTS
Boxster S
Previously
Audi RS4 B8
Audi S4 B8
Audi S4 B6
Nissan GTR,
Lotus Elise 111R,
Caterham,
Various SAAB Turbos
Peugeot 205 GTi,
RS2000

Bendelaurence
2nd Gear

Post by Bendelaurence » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:01 pm

Grittle wrote:I think the 12Gb is plenty. Current SIM has been in for a month and I've used less than 1Gb. Previous one lasted all year. Was about the only offer that worked - didn't want a monthly sub, nor a SIM that lasted 30 days. Cost up a bit, now £35 at Argos but still worth it
Yh, same here mate. Thanks for that, I’ve just ordered one on amazon

Rs4spark
3rd Gear

Post by Rs4spark » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:34 pm

Re Audi Connect,

My car has a SIM slot under the MMI cover, not sounding daft but what are the main benefits of having this ? & is it easy to use.

Thanks
Sold B9.5 RS4 !! WHY i keep asking ! looking sat ordering another before a new model arrives
RS4 2020 Navarra & Jet Blue Gen 1 R8
RS4 Sepang 2015
RS4 Suzuka 2014
RS4 Cab Daytona 07
RS4 Cab Phantom 58
RS4 Cab Phantom 06

Crazy, also too many to list in between, get board too quickly but hopefully not this time !!

Bendelaurence
2nd Gear

Post by Bendelaurence » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:52 pm

Rs4spark wrote:Re Audi Connect,

My car has a SIM slot under the MMI cover, not sounding daft but what are the main benefits of having this ? & is it easy to use.

Thanks
I’m not completely sure on it all, but I’ll let you know when my sim arrives tomorrow

Bendelaurence
2nd Gear

Post by Bendelaurence » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:34 am

Rs4spark wrote:Re Audi Connect,

Thanks
All very confusing, but so far, Google maps overlay is good, and you can look up destinations on your phone and send them to the car....

Bendelaurence
2nd Gear

Post by Bendelaurence » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:59 pm

Grittle wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:52 pm
Depends on the phone. Audi Connect doesn't work with an iPhone for DATA so I have a phone-Shop sim in the dash. Something to do with Apple not implementing a data sharing api on their hardware. I believe Androids work but not tried one. Best solution I could find is a '3' Trio SIM that gives you 12Gb for 12 months for approx £30 (prices vary a bit). Amazon or Argos. '3' shops charge more!

iPhone works fine for calls bluetooth etc

As well as online services (main benefit I find is real time traffic status and petrol prices when the car needs fuelled) I also use the myAudi app, both on my phone or through a web browser

MyAudi enables you to see the service record of your car and best part is you can find a place on the map, save it in myAudi and it syncs to the Nav. So if I'm going somewhere I use this neat interface to load the destination up on my laptop and then it is ready in the car. No messing around with postcodes etc

Actually like it despite it's not leading edge tech
Do our cars have google maps street view or is that a later revision of Audi connect?

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:13 pm

Not sure if the the same on the B8, but on the C7 you can find places by using Google which generally takes you right up to the right building whereas postcode search only takes you to the approximate position. Also woth the Connect option on the C7 you get Wi-Fi in the car so the kids can connect their Wi-Fi only iPad's etc when on long journeys to watch YouTube etc. This really eats up the data though.

Bendelaurence
2nd Gear

Post by Bendelaurence » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:25 pm

MikeFish wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:13 pm
Not sure if the the same on the B8, but on the C7 you can find places by using Google which generally takes you right up to the right building whereas postcode search only takes you to the approximate position. Also woth the Connect option on the C7 you get Wi-Fi in the car so the kids can connect their Wi-Fi only iPad's etc when on long journeys to watch YouTube etc. This really eats up the data though.
Yh, see we don't have any of that I don't think. I think the C7 is an updated version....

P.S. Your not originally from Watford are you?

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:48 pm

No, SE London.

Surrey Sam
Cruising

Post by Surrey Sam » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:45 am

Bendelaurence - Have you read the MMI user manual?

I don't have the Audi Connect option but a quick look in the above manual, shows the car can be a wireless hotspot and does Google Street View. You need to switch the Wifi on and set it up via the MMI Telephone menu (see page 62). Street view has a few caveats based upon HDD memory and Street View availability, it looks to be accessed from the side menu when the little man appears - not the best description I know, but the user manual has it there with pictures on page 84.
Sepang Blue B8 RS4, MY14, All option packs, B&O, Adv Key, Adapt Cruise, Pan Roof, Akrapovic Titanium Exhaust, + more.
Previous - Sprint Blue B7 RS4 Avant, Ceramics, Sunroof, SS+, Buckets, FBSW, Bluetooth, 2010+ RNSe
Previous - Phantom Black B7 RS4 Avant, Black Optics, Titan pack, SS+, Buckets, FBSW

Bendelaurence
2nd Gear

Post by Bendelaurence » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:02 am

Surrey Sam wrote:Bendelaurence - Have you read the MMI user manual?

I don't have the Audi Connect option but a quick look in the above manual, shows the car can be a wireless hotspot and does Google Street View. You need to switch the Wifi on and set it up via the MMI Telephone menu (see page 62). Street view has a few caveats based upon HDD memory and Street View availability, it looks to be accessed from the side menu when the little man appears - not the best description I know, but the user manual has it there with pictures on page 84.
Thanks sam, I had a look though the manual and found the wlan stuff, I’ll take a look at street view tonight.

Return to “RS4 (B8 Typ 8K) 2012-2016”