Looking at buying an RS4 next week, first fast audi, need some help from you guys......

4.2 V8 32v FSI - 444 bhp
Bendelaurence
2nd Gear

Re: Looking at buying an RS4 next week, first fast audi, need some help from you guys......

Post by Bendelaurence » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:27 pm

MikeFish wrote:Any decent photos of it now? Does it look more like the autogespot photo?
Yh it’s great. Was a bit worried that I was hearing DRC knock when I first got in it, but I think I was just being paranoid. We’ll see when I take it out cold again in the morning.

I’ll take some pics and post them tomorrow.

Officially part of the club! Image

So so different to my A45. But now I’ve got my head around it I’d say it’s quicker. Only problem is finding enough road to drive it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bendelaurence
2nd Gear

Re: Looking at buying an RS4 next week, first fast audi, need some help from you guys......

Post by Bendelaurence » Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:17 am

Ok guys, defo got a DRC knock in the rear for the first minute of driving after it’s been sat for a few hours.

Any advice approaching this with the dealer would be appreciated. I’m going to go over the warrenty I got with it tomorrow and make sure it’s covered

B.

innercry666
3rd Gear

Post by innercry666 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:58 am

There has been a TPI out on the DRC for almost two years now so it is a well known issue within Audi and as such should have been sorted prior to being sold to you. Ultimately you want to get this done under warranty as the selling dealership should have checked the car thoroughly before they sold it. There are a couple things I would personally do:

Check the handover information to see if there are any checks they have completed on the car / suspension before they sold it to you. I don't know what Porsche's sale process is however if it was sold through Audi there would be a handover checklist that would say they have checked a number of things on the car to ensure it is ok to sell and is Audi 'approved used'. Fundamentally they should have checked the car before they sold it to you to ensure it is safe to do so and they should have some supporting documentation to this effect. If there isn't anything then they won't be able to confirm that they have checked the suspension prior to sale.

Then you can either take it back to them and try and demonstrate the problem to them. Ask them to reference the TPI that Audi issued regarding the DRC knocking sound. The TPI advises that both front shocks are replaced. I had a knocking sound from the rear on mine - front shocks replaced and the problem went away, along with the poor ride quality.

Also ask them to check the DRC pressure if they can. If they can't suggest it goes to the nearest Audi dealership that can check the DRC pressure.

As there is a TPI on the DRC it should help your case in getting this sorted quickly. Porsche have effectively sold a car with a defect that is known to the manufacturer. It was their responsibility to check the car before they sold it to make sure it was fit for sale. If you get push-back from Porsche then take it to an Audi dealership and ask them to check the DRC and confirm there is an issue, then take it to Porsche and get them to sort it at their cost under the warranty they have provided.

Ultimately the selling dealership should take responsibility for any issues with the car that are present at the time of sale. You have 30 days to reject the car but that is always a very difficult path to take...
RS6 PE - Current
RS4 (B8.5) 2015 - Sold
A4 3.0 TDI Quattro BE Avant - Gone
Focus ST170 - Garaged

Bendelaurence
2nd Gear

Post by Bendelaurence » Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:19 pm

innercry666 wrote:There has been a TPI out on the DRC for almost two years now so it is a well known issue within Audi and as such should have been sorted prior to being sold to you. Ultimately you want to get this done under warranty as the selling dealership should have checked the car thoroughly before they sold it. There are a couple things I would personally do:

Check the handover information to see if there are any checks they have completed on the car / suspension before they sold it to you. I don't know what Porsche's sale process is however if it was sold through Audi there would be a handover checklist that would say they have checked a number of things on the car to ensure it is ok to sell and is Audi 'approved used'. Fundamentally they should have checked the car before they sold it to you to ensure it is safe to do so and they should have some supporting documentation to this effect. If there isn't anything then they won't be able to confirm that they have checked the suspension prior to sale.

Then you can either take it back to them and try and demonstrate the problem to them. Ask them to reference the TPI that Audi issued regarding the DRC knocking sound. The TPI advises that both front shocks are replaced. I had a knocking sound from the rear on mine - front shocks replaced and the problem went away, along with the poor ride quality.

Also ask them to check the DRC pressure if they can. If they can't suggest it goes to the nearest Audi dealership that can check the DRC pressure.

As there is a TPI on the DRC it should help your case in getting this sorted quickly. Porsche have effectively sold a car with a defect that is known to the manufacturer. It was their responsibility to check the car before they sold it to make sure it was fit for sale. If you get push-back from Porsche then take it to an Audi dealership and ask them to check the DRC and confirm there is an issue, then take it to Porsche and get them to sort it at their cost under the warranty they have provided.

Ultimately the selling dealership should take responsibility for any issues with the car that are present at the time of sale. You have 30 days to reject the car but that is always a very difficult path to take...
That’s great. They do a 120 point check before selling as Porsche approved, and it has a years warrenty which they say can be used at any vat registered garage. So I think the best thing to do will be to take it to Audi.

What is a TPI?

stevo55
5th Gear

Post by stevo55 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:34 pm

Interesting that the OP was coming from an A45....that’s where I’m at currently and in all honesty I can’t wait to get rid of mine! Mine is the FL with all the whistles and bells and I can’t remember a more frustrating car to own and drive. Had it just over 6 months and looking to get back to Audi RS asap. RS4’s seem to be holding their value pretty well though? Early 30’s to mid 40’s and for early 40’s I could get a current RS3 saloon (on the ‘possible’ list).
Pretty fed up with chopping and changing cars all the time to find one I actually like (previous was a C7 RS6 but the monthly payments were too much and my Man maths didn’t stand up to the reality. Shame as that is the best car I’ve ever owned) and keep for a while.

2016 R8 V10 Plus
2019 E63s AMG 4Matic Estate.
2015 C7 RS6 Misano Red Performance Plus and unicorn miles
2012 Land Rover Defender XS Utility Full Tweaked Spectre conversion
2018 B9 RS5 coupe. Milltek Non-Res Exhaust.
2017 BMW M3 Competition Pack.
2015 A45 AMG.Overrated POS.
2016 C7 RS6 Panther black.
2009 C6 RS6 phantom black saloon. Milltek
2006 BMW Z4M Roadster.
2004 Alpina Roadster.
1994 E34 M5 Saloon

stevo55
5th Gear

Post by stevo55 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:36 pm

RIV wrote:B8 is a miles better than an A45
Gearbox and rattles ruins the merc, once it’s on the move
It’s a very quick B road car.. other than that it’s not so great. However my mrs likes it.. does that mean much?
Not really :lol:
Just posted about the A45...there are about 6 things I really like about my A45. Then about 30 that make me want to crush it. And yes the gearbox is the main villain of the piece for me. Absolute dogsh1t bit of kit and totally unforgivable in an AMG imo.

2016 R8 V10 Plus
2019 E63s AMG 4Matic Estate.
2015 C7 RS6 Misano Red Performance Plus and unicorn miles
2012 Land Rover Defender XS Utility Full Tweaked Spectre conversion
2018 B9 RS5 coupe. Milltek Non-Res Exhaust.
2017 BMW M3 Competition Pack.
2015 A45 AMG.Overrated POS.
2016 C7 RS6 Panther black.
2009 C6 RS6 phantom black saloon. Milltek
2006 BMW Z4M Roadster.
2004 Alpina Roadster.
1994 E34 M5 Saloon

Bendelaurence
2nd Gear

Post by Bendelaurence » Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:40 pm

🤬🤬🤬 flat tyre and no locking wheel nut! Surely it’s the dealers responsibility to check it has one before selling the car?! Absolute joke! 120 point check my ass! So mad! £500 pound of tyres on day 2!

If anyone has any idea what my rights are, please get in touch ASAP.

Thanks guys

535dboy
Top Gear

Post by 535dboy » Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:59 pm

Do you know where it is hidden?
Currently :
2019 Porsche 992S (£21k of extra toys)
2019 Porsche Macan S (£18k of extra toys)
2015 Lotus Exige V6 ( c430bhp)
2019 Seat Ibiza excellence Lux! (115bhp, 3 cyl, dsg)
1987 Porsche 928S4
1967 Jaaag Mk2 3.4

Ex
2017 AMG E class wagon
2012 Audi RS4 (B8)
2012 Porsche Boxster S (981)

Bendelaurence
2nd Gear

Post by Bendelaurence » Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:25 pm

535dboy wrote:Do you know where it is hidden?
Image here I assume.

They refurbed the wheels, so I assume it didn’t find it’s way back to the car.....

535dboy
Top Gear

Post by 535dboy » Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:02 pm

Ah yes

I think that was right. Took me to ages to find it when I needed it.

Bad luck on the day
Currently :
2019 Porsche 992S (£21k of extra toys)
2019 Porsche Macan S (£18k of extra toys)
2015 Lotus Exige V6 ( c430bhp)
2019 Seat Ibiza excellence Lux! (115bhp, 3 cyl, dsg)
1987 Porsche 928S4
1967 Jaaag Mk2 3.4

Ex
2017 AMG E class wagon
2012 Audi RS4 (B8)
2012 Porsche Boxster S (981)

Bendelaurence
2nd Gear

Post by Bendelaurence » Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:20 pm

innercry666 wrote:There has been a TPI out on the DRC for almost two years now so it is a well known issue within Audi and as such should have been sorted prior to being sold to you. Ultimately you want to get this done under warranty as the selling dealership should have checked the car thoroughly before they sold it. There are a couple things I would personally do:

Any idea where I can get a copy of the TPI? Might speed things up if I can supply the relevant information.

God! I just want to settle down and enjoy the car.....

Bendelaurence
2nd Gear

Post by Bendelaurence » Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:54 pm

Bendelaurence wrote:

Any idea where I can get a copy of the TPI? Might speed things up if I can supply the relevant information.

God! I just want to settle down and enjoy the car.....

120 point Porsche approved check they said.......

ImageImage

How on earth could they miss this?! Image

innercry666
3rd Gear

Post by innercry666 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:27 pm

I don't have the TPI reference number however with a leak that bad you won't need to be quoting it, just take it back to them.

I think the pen is mightier than the sword when it comes to car checks these days unfortunately.
RS6 PE - Current
RS4 (B8.5) 2015 - Sold
Focus ST170 - Garaged

innercry666
3rd Gear

Post by innercry666 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:28 pm

Having said that I have seen a TPI number referenced on the forum so it might be worth using the search function and see what turns up.
RS6 PE - Current
RS4 (B8.5) 2015 - Sold
Focus ST170 - Garaged

Ian_C
Cruising

Post by Ian_C » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:33 pm

Bendelaurence wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:54 pm
120 point Porsche approved check they said.......

ImageImage

How on earth could they miss this?! Image

If you haven't already bought the tyres, probably just best to ask them to come and collect and trailer it away
B5 B6 B7 B9

Return to “RS4 (B8 Typ 8K) 2012-2016”