Looking at buying an RS4 next week, first fast audi, need some help from you guys......

4.2 V8 32v FSI - 444 bhp
Bendelaurence
2nd Gear

Re: Looking at buying an RS4 next week, first fast audi, need some help from you guys......

Post by Bendelaurence » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:53 pm

TimeForAZafira wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:01 pm
SimonY wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:46 pm
So I moved from an A45 AMG to a 2015, RS04 last summer and have certainly not regretted it. Saying that, the A45 was my 1st Merc having run a C5 RS6 for 7 years before that and I guess I'm still biased towards Audis and certainly the build quality is superior - haven't got time to discuss the interior rattles and the paint quality on the A45!

Had to replace the DRC with Bilsteins within the 1st year of RS6 ownership. I then had a year's Warranty Wise cover after the Coilovers but had issues with WW when one of my ICs needed replacing so adopted the "slush" fund approach after that.

The warranty on my RS4 expires in 2 weeks and will probably readopt the "slush" fund although it's just had a Carbon clean and Stage 1 at MRC and no worrying issues reported.

Good luck in whatever you decide.

Simon
Great, fantastic cars- but don't expect a B8 to be rattle free.
I never really noticed any rattles on my A45. I was either very lucky, or its just what I'd expect from such a heavily damped car. When you go over a bump at low speed, its going to shake the car. But once you get going, it all starts to make sense.

535dboy
Top Gear

Re: Looking at buying an RS4 next week, first fast audi, need some help from you guys......

Post by 535dboy » Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:14 am

My Audi was better than my merc...
Currently :
2019 Porsche 992S (£21k of extra toys)
2019 Porsche Macan S (£18k of extra toys)
2015 Lotus Exige V6 ( c430bhp)
2019 Seat Ibiza excellence Lux! (115bhp, 3 cyl, dsg)
1987 Porsche 928S4
1967 Jaaag Mk2 3.4

Ex
2017 AMG E class wagon
2012 Audi RS4 (B8)
2012 Porsche Boxster S (981)

RIV
Cruising

Post by RIV » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:40 pm

B8 is a miles better than an A45
Gearbox and rattles ruins the merc, once it’s on the move
It’s a very quick B road car.. other than that it’s not so great. However my mrs likes it.. does that mean much?
Not really :lol:

Surrey Sam
Cruising

Post by Surrey Sam » Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:08 pm

Bendelaurence wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:11 pm
Hi,

First post on this site so please excuse the noob questions.

1.Ive got my eye on an RS4 - 2014 on a 63 plate. The general consensus on here seems to be that the 'MY14' variation is the one to have. How do I tell if this car is a MY14? Also, is the a model history page somewhere that shows what was added/upgraded and when?

2. The car has done 23,000 miles. I have read all the terror threads about DRC failure. How often can I expect a big bill because of this? Ive had a quote from Audi Warrenty of about £1200 per year for an all component Warrenty. They said DRC is covered providing the milage isn't ridiculous, at which point some parts become wear and tear items. Is it worth it? The dealership (Porsche) is selling it with a years Warrenty, I've asked for details on what that covers. Ive also read about gearbox problems.

Dive in guys, im looking forward to joining the club. I just want a better idea of what I have in store for myself.

Thanks, Ben.
Welcome Ben,

Just had a look online at it - assuming that it's the Edinburgh Porsche dealer? What rubbish underexposed images they have.

Anyway the car appears to be a MY14 car which stated to come in on 63 registrations, and it has a nice spec from what I can see:

MY14 - HDD NAV with 7.5" display, DAB radio & Power Tailgate
Full Leather
Heated front seats
Bang & Olufsen
Black Styling package
Privacy glass
Audi Connect
Sports Package - 20" Wheels, Sports Exhaust, Dynamic Ride Control & Dynamic Steering.
Driver Assistance Package - Reverse camera, Lane Assist & Adaptive Cruise Control
Storage Package - Lockable Glovebox, Front underseat stowage bins, Rear seat netting/map holders & rear seat cupholders in armrest

Things to consider would be no Panoramic Sunroof, as the marketplace does like this option and cars without move slowly. Another thing to check for is that the Front Final Drive oil was replaced at 19k miles.
Sepang Blue B8 RS4, MY14, All option packs, B&O, Adv Key, Adapt Cruise, Pan Roof, Akrapovic Titanium Exhaust, + more.
Previous - Sprint Blue B7 RS4 Avant, Ceramics, Sunroof, SS+, Buckets, FBSW, Bluetooth, 2010+ RNSe
Previous - Phantom Black B7 RS4 Avant, Black Optics, Titan pack, SS+, Buckets, FBSW

Bendelaurence
2nd Gear

Post by Bendelaurence » Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:13 am

Surrey Sam wrote:
Bendelaurence wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:11 pm
Hi,

First post on this site so please excuse the noob questions.

1.Ive got my eye on an RS4 - 2014 on a 63 plate. The general consensus on here seems to be that the 'MY14' variation is the one to have. How do I tell if this car is a MY14? Also, is the a model history page somewhere that shows what was added/upgraded and when?

2. The car has done 23,000 miles. I have read all the terror threads about DRC failure. How often can I expect a big bill because of this? Ive had a quote from Audi Warrenty of about £1200 per year for an all component Warrenty. They said DRC is covered providing the milage isn't ridiculous, at which point some parts become wear and tear items. Is it worth it? The dealership (Porsche) is selling it with a years Warrenty, I've asked for details on what that covers. Ive also read about gearbox problems.

Dive in guys, im looking forward to joining the club. I just want a better idea of what I have in store for myself.

Thanks, Ben.
Welcome Ben,

Just had a look online at it - assuming that it's the Edinburgh Porsche dealer? What rubbish underexposed images they have.

Anyway the car appears to be a MY14 car which stated to come in on 63 registrations, and it has a nice spec from what I can see:

MY14 - HDD NAV with 7.5" display, DAB radio & Power Tailgate
Full Leather
Heated front seats
Bang & Olufsen
Black Styling package
Privacy glass
Audi Connect
Sports Package - 20" Wheels, Sports Exhaust, Dynamic Ride Control & Dynamic Steering.
Driver Assistance Package - Reverse camera, Lane Assist & Adaptive Cruise Control
Storage Package - Lockable Glovebox, Front underseat stowage bins, Rear seat netting/map holders & rear seat cupholders in armrest

Things to consider would be no Panoramic Sunroof, as the marketplace does like this option and cars without move slowly. Another thing to check for is that the Front Final Drive oil was replaced at 19k miles.
Sounds like the one. Aberdeen though....

Hi sam,

Things I didn’t see in the advert:
7.5” display - is this an upgrade from 7”?
Reversing camera - how can you tell?
Audi connect - what does this do?

I’m not too bothered about the sunroof, just another thing to go wrong imo. I’ll be keeping it 4 years and won’t be in a massive rush to sell it by then.

Final drive - this is on my list. It was Last serviced in March 17. So Porsche have serviced it. But I don’t know what they’ve done. So when I get it I plan on taking it to Audi to have any missing bits done. Do you think 3k late will affect the extended warrenty I plan on getting, if it indeed hasn’t been done?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Surrey Sam
Cruising

Post by Surrey Sam » Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:12 am

Sorry, yes the Edinburgh and 7.5" display are my mistakes. I shouldn't try replying and cooking at the same time. MY14 cars gained as standard spec, the HDD Nav which has the larger 7" display, Audi music interface and full post code entry. The FAQ post at the top of this B8 forum section has some useful info there, including the Brochure pdfs for you to download.

The reverse camera is part of the Driver Assistant Package and the easiest thing to spot on that, is the odd looking radar unit. Which looks similar to a front foglight located on the driver’s side. Audi connect is nothing major, just an online service that connects to the car via 3G simcard. It gives you a Google maps layer in the navigation and online points of interest.

If you phone Audi Customer Services (0800 699 888) you can get them to check for service history, take note of the dealerships. Then call those Dealers to get more specific information on what service work has been carried out on the vehicle. If it hasn't had the final drive done, then get it changed by Audi straight away. Anything missed on the service regime can potentially expose you to issues with warranty claims, it won't affect the warranty purchase. Although that being said, Audi are very good with goodwill if full Audi Service History is maintained.

TBH it sounds like Porsche could be spinning you a yarn with the 'just being serviced" line. If it was last done in '17 then it potentially is on the 2 year 19k miles long life service cycle. So there should be a service around 2015 and the 2017 one, the next would not then be due until 2019. Unless the 19k mileage is hit first. You can also get Audi to change the car back to the annual service regime, if you prefer. I also wouldn't rely on the Audi Dealers to tell you what the car needs, that's how many front drive oil changes are missed and only carried out at 40k (20k overdue) with the rest of the driveline fluids. Again check the FAQ at the top for servicing requirements.
Sepang Blue B8 RS4, MY14, All option packs, B&O, Adv Key, Adapt Cruise, Pan Roof, Akrapovic Titanium Exhaust, + more.
Previous - Sprint Blue B7 RS4 Avant, Ceramics, Sunroof, SS+, Buckets, FBSW, Bluetooth, 2010+ RNSe
Previous - Phantom Black B7 RS4 Avant, Black Optics, Titan pack, SS+, Buckets, FBSW

Bendelaurence
2nd Gear

Post by Bendelaurence » Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:19 pm

Surrey Sam wrote:Sorry, yes the Edinburgh and 7.5" display are my mistakes. I shouldn't try replying and cooking at the same time. MY14 cars gained as standard spec, the HDD Nav which has the larger 7" display, Audi music interface and full post code entry. The FAQ post at the top of this B8 forum section has some useful info there, including the Brochure pdfs for you to download.

The reverse camera is part of the Driver Assistant Package and the easiest thing to spot on that, is the odd looking radar unit. Which looks similar to a front foglight located on the driver’s side. Audi connect is nothing major, just an online service that connects to the car via 3G simcard. It gives you a Google maps layer in the navigation and online points of interest.

If you phone Audi Customer Services (0800 699 888) you can get them to check for service history, take note of the dealerships. Then call those Dealers to get more specific information on what service work has been carried out on the vehicle. If it hasn't had the final drive done, then get it changed by Audi straight away. Anything missed on the service regime can potentially expose you to issues with warranty claims, it won't affect the warranty purchase. Although that being said, Audi are very good with goodwill if full Audi Service History is maintained.

TBH it sounds like Porsche could be spinning you a yarn with the 'just being serviced" line. If it was last done in '17 then it potentially is on the 2 year 19k miles long life service cycle. So there should be a service around 2015 and the 2017 one, the next would not then be due until 2019. Unless the 19k mileage is hit first. You can also get Audi to change the car back to the annual service regime, if you prefer. I also wouldn't rely on the Audi Dealers to tell you what the car needs, that's how many front drive oil changes are missed and only carried out at 40k (20k overdue) with the rest of the driveline fluids. Again check the FAQ at the top for servicing requirements.
Will do, thanks sam.

I saw the radar but didn’t realise it was a pack including the camera. The worst they I’ve found about buying an RS4 is the adverts. They’re written so badly! Half the options missing or incorrect, it’s crazy!

Hopefully collecting in the morning. I’ll give Audi a call now and confirm the service history of the car now.

Bendelaurence
2nd Gear

Post by Bendelaurence » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:55 pm

Before I sing my life away..... what’s the difference between these two cars?

The first is the one I’m buying, the second is a random pic I found. Is it just me or does the second look way fatter/better?

HPsauce
4th Gear

Post by HPsauce » Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:31 pm

Perspective. Wide-angle amateur vs professional lens.

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:54 pm

And black mirrors.

Surrey Sam
Cruising

Post by Surrey Sam » Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:59 pm

The Porsche dealer couldn't take a decent picture, even if their life depended on it.

535dboy
Top Gear

Post by 535dboy » Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:49 am

Doesn’t one have diamond cut wheels and the other plain silver
Currently :
2019 Porsche 992S (£21k of extra toys)
2019 Porsche Macan S (£18k of extra toys)
2015 Lotus Exige V6 ( c430bhp)
2019 Seat Ibiza excellence Lux! (115bhp, 3 cyl, dsg)
1987 Porsche 928S4
1967 Jaaag Mk2 3.4

Ex
2017 AMG E class wagon
2012 Audi RS4 (B8)
2012 Porsche Boxster S (981)

innercry666
3rd Gear

Post by innercry666 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:56 am

It's probably just down to how the car is lit in the Porcshe pics. The car looks awesome in the flesh - pics don't do it justice...
RS6 PE - Current
RS4 (B8.5) 2015 - Sold
A4 3.0 TDI Quattro BE Avant - Gone
Focus ST170 - Garaged

Bendelaurence
2nd Gear

Post by Bendelaurence » Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:55 pm

Been awake 32 hours. Been driving the last 12 hours pretty much straight. Feel like death. But on the up side, I have it, and it’s GOOD!

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:54 pm

Any decent photos of it now? Does it look more like the autogespot photo?

Return to “RS4 (B8 Typ 8K) 2012-2016”