GEAR BOX ARRRRGGGGHHHHHHH

4.2 V8 32v FSI - 444 bhp
skidrs4
Neutral

Re: GEAR BOX ARRRRGGGGHHHHHHH

Post by skidrs4 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:40 am

Having never driven a B8 before buying mine, I took a gamble based on it coming with 12 month's Audi warranty. I've had S3, S4's and B7 RS4 without any issues...
Seems it was a bit naïve as the gearbox is definitely playing silly b**gers, or is it my imagination...? :bash:
a] 1st to 2nd to 3rd feels like the car is being nudged along with each change.
b] reverse takes over a second to engage.
c] random downshifts when in sports mode.
d] sometimes you get an uneven power delivery through the transmission when accelerating e.g. joining motorway slip road.
It's booked in for an inspection @ Audi but I've got a feeling they will turn round and say "that's normal..." :audibash:
Any good ideas?
Thanks.

innercry666
3rd Gear

Post by innercry666 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:44 am

Contaminated clutches from Glycol in the oil would be my guess. Mine played up loads but was eventually sorted following a test for Glycol in the oil. Turns out the ATF radiator fails leaking coolant into the gearbox which then goes on to damage the clutch pack and probably the valve pack and electronics as well. Ask Audi to perform a glycol test straight away without even trying to do an adaptive drive on the gearbox as this will likely be a waste of time.

I had nearly a year of back and forth with the dealership until I informed them there was a TPI on this and that a glycol test was needed. They then replaced the clutch packs and ATF radiator, but in some instances there may be damage to the mechatronic unit that contains the valves and the electronics for controlling the shifts. In some instances folk have had new gearboxes.

Unfortunately it's a common problem with this gearbox that stretches back 10 years!

The car was transformed after the warranty work...
RS6 PE - Current
RS4 (B8.5) 2015 - Sold
A4 3.0 TDI Quattro BE Avant - Gone
Focus ST170 - Garaged

chunky79
Cruising

Post by chunky79 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:27 pm

innercry666 wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:44 am
Contaminated clutches from Glycol in the oil would be my guess. Mine played up loads but was eventually sorted following a test for Glycol in the oil. Turns out the ATF radiator fails leaking coolant into the gearbox which then goes on to damage the clutch pack and probably the valve pack and electronics as well. Ask Audi to perform a glycol test straight away without even trying to do an adaptive drive on the gearbox as this will likely be a waste of time.

I had nearly a year of back and forth with the dealership until I informed them there was a TPI on this and that a glycol test was needed. They then replaced the clutch packs and ATF radiator, but in some instances there may be damage to the mechatronic unit that contains the valves and the electronics for controlling the shifts. In some instances folk have had new gearboxes.

Unfortunately it's a common problem with this gearbox that stretches back 10 years!

So you were having to top the coolant up then? How did it take them a year to find the leak??
previous- Pug 205 gti, 306 gti, 309 gti Goodwood.
Audi S3, S4 V8 avant.
Porsche Macan Turbo.
Gone but NEVER forgotten - C5 RS6 Misano red avant.

Now - Empty garage

If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there!

skidrs4
Neutral

Post by skidrs4 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:43 pm

Thanks guys, that's very helpful. I'll give the audi techs the info you've provided :)
it's definitely the worst auto box I've had in it's current state...
Cheers.

innercry666
3rd Gear

Post by innercry666 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:55 pm

chunky79 wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:27 pm
innercry666 wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:44 am

So you were having to top the coolant up then? How did it take them a year to find the leak??
The coolant will have leaked into the gearbox from the ATF radiator. The TPI states that you have to take a sample of gearbox oil and test for glycol. They do a little chemistry experiment whereby the oil goes purple if it's contaminated. The Mastertech stated it may take a while for the results to show, but with mine it was instant! The system is sealed so the leak isn't apparent on the outside of the car. I don't specifically know how the ATF radiator fails for the gearbox oil to become contaminated however it may well be a material failure internally. It was apparent in the way the car drove and how the gear box responded. It took a lot of digging on various forums to find out there was a TPI for the glycol test and from there it was a case of getting Audi to do the test.
RS6 PE - Current
RS4 (B8.5) 2015 - Sold
A4 3.0 TDI Quattro BE Avant - Gone
Focus ST170 - Garaged

Return to “RS4 (B8 Typ 8K) 2012-2016”