More Transmission Issues

4.2 V8 32v FSI - 444 bhp
sepangstu
Neutral

More Transmission Issues

Post by sepangstu » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:07 pm

Good evening all. :bigwave:

I am having ongoing issues with the transmission of my 2015 RS4. Basically, the system is best described as being dim witted and lazy.

Problem number 1 can be seen in the following video clip. Often when the car changes gear (in this case from 2nd to 3rd), the engine speed drops (obviously :shock: ) but instead of the revs dropping nice and cleanly, if you watch closely at the end of the clip, the revs drop once, then drop slightly more immediately after. Now, I have owned other twin clutch cars - VW Golf R32s and never experienced this once with them. Admittedly, they are a different box, but surely the principal of how they change gear should be the same??

https://youtu.be/wpb1QCpA3ME

Also, when I have had any courtesy car with a twin clutch box, they have behaved how I would expect my car to behave - but it doesn't behave how I expect it to do.

Problem number 2 can be seen in the next clip. Again, often when I am slowing to approach/negotiate a junction or similar, when the car selects 2nd gear, the revs blip by 500-750rpm as the car is slowing down. Again watch closely at the end of the clip. This is yet another phenomenon that I have never experienced in any other twin clutch car.

https://youtu.be/uV-cgm2LZ2o

And the troubles don't end there. Gear changes are awful more often than not. I wouldn't say that the car lurches, but they aren't exactly smooth. Then there is when I have the car in manual and floor it - the car behaves like the clutch has been disengaged, and is then surprised when it realises more momentum is required and you get the impression that the clutch has been violently side stepped. Plus, I can ask for a gear and need to wait a second or two before I actually get the next cog.

So my question is, has anyone else experienced the same kind of issues?? And if so, did you get a resolution to the problem??

The car is booked in yet again with Aberdeen Audi to investigate, but I would like to know if there is anything that can be suggested to rid me of these issues that really are destroying the car.

In addition, I have had a new gearbox fitted (because the oil pump started to whine) in June last year; roughly 3,000 miles ago. Along with new clutch packs and a mechatronic unit. Software updates and recalibrations. But still the box is a complete shambles. Oh and the glycol test was done but came back negative, but I think this should be done again personally.

The driving environment also doesn't have a bearing either; it's a shambles in start/stop traffic and open roads.

Only plus side is that I cannot fault Aberdeen Audi - they have been spot on all the time. And the technician they put out with us did agree that things did not seem right. I will be showing them the videos when it goes in - hopefully it will help get a resolution.

Apologies for the long winded post, but I just want a car that I can enjoy and that lives up to my expectations of a car that has cost me a fortune for the privilege of owning.

Plus I am taking it to Germany in September for a proper blast and would ideally want it at it's best before then.

Cheers peeps.

Stu

Return to “RS4 (B8 Typ 8K) 2012-2016”