Dog car boot mattress

4.2 V8 32v FSI - 444 bhp
douglasgdmw
1st Gear

Dog car boot mattress

Post by douglasgdmw » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:46 am

Going to get the Audi dog guard and hard boot loading area so that our working cocker spaniels can travel in the boot of the RS.

Problem is that our older spaniel hates travelling in any car and does a frantic paw clawing as if he's trying to dig himself out. Just take a while for him to settle down.

We are looking to get a dog mattress but I measured the boot and its 100cm by 100cm, which means most dog mattresses will not fit as they are rectangular.

Could get a 100x60cm by 3 peaks but if I get 2 its likely he will just overturn it in the boot.
http://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/pets/ ... ?orderBy=1

Has any dog owner managed to find a dog mattress that fits snugly in the back of the RS?

George

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Broken Record
Neutral

Re: Dog car boot mattress

Post by Broken Record » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:36 pm

I use my RS as a rapid dog deployment vehicle and faced the same problems..... I got the Audi dog guard, purchased a custom made waterproof boot liner, then the harder Audi boot protector, and then one of those 3 peaks 100 x 60 mattresses which holds in place quite well because its slightly oversized, you don't need two as they then just get in the way of everything, and they are £30 each.
Buy one and try it is my advice.
If not their are a few people about who will make you a quilted dog bed which fits perfectly and looks awesome, depends on what you want to spend!!

Rich1782
Neutral

Post by Rich1782 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:37 am

George, don’t know if you’ve looked at bootbuddy, I bought one when car was brand new 3.5 years ago and the boot still looks that way.
Basically a preformed plastic template that fits the area, then you can add certain accessories such as bumper guard, non slip mat and we just bought another for the wife’s GLC with what is essentially vet bed flooring (although guessing that won’t be dig proof).
They also do a clear plastic divider I think for the luggage area which seems like a good idea though not sure how it would look after a few months use (my dog won’t fit through the gap so don’t have anything there).
I had trouble ordering the Audi parts after taking delivery for some reason so went this route.

douglasgdmw
1st Gear

Post by douglasgdmw » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:40 pm

Had a look at the bootbuddy but always conscious that its difficult to try the fit unless they stock a large retail outfit.

We have ordered the Audi dog guard and hard load area and will then see what fits. I think for the sake of £30 the 3 peaks should suffice as they wont often be in the back of the RS4.

Defender 90 is used as the slow dog deployment vehicle.

George

Pando99
Neutral

Post by Pando99 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:20 am

I have a puppy coming home this weekend and and just trying to work out what i need to look after the boot of the RS4 and also the dog. I notice that behind the boot shelf there is another item that becomes a mesh liner between the boot and the passenger area.
Is this sufficient to be a dog guard as its only a wee cockapoo and not massive.
I am also looking to get a liner to protect the bumper as well, i see there are plenty of bootliners out there, but any advice appreciated.
I will be puttin him in a crate for the first while until he is trained etc

Rich1782
Neutral

Post by Rich1782 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:25 am

Good luck! The net partition isnt suitable, especially for small dogs as they can fit around the sides. If I were you I’d keep the crate permanently, not only does it protect the car (toilet and sick), more importantly it protects the dog in the event of an accident and from falling luggage. You want to be able to use the boot for bags as the back seats mark easily and are not flat is why I found.
When mine was a puppy I had a 5 series estate and the crate fitted perfectly, plus the back window opened independently of the boot so you could leave it fully open on hot days with the crate blocking all entrance to the boot, unfortunately the size of crate the dog needs now doesn’t fit in any boot so sits free! As suggested earlier the boot buddy is a good product for keeping the boot pristine

douglasgdmw
1st Gear

Post by douglasgdmw » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:08 pm

First thing when you are picking up your puppy is to make sure you take a couple of extra towels. They are always sick in the car for the first journey and usually over who is holding them. Also get the owner to give you something with the mums smell as may help to comfort them for a couple of days.

We got the Audi dog guard and load tray and then added a 3 peaks base mat (large I think) and a 3 peaks bed which is washable for the back of the car. Did think of the extra protection but will see how we go.

Next we are going to get some ventureshield/defendal to cover the bumper, been quoted about £70-100.

Our cocker spaniels are quite well behaved and the majority of the time stay in the boot until we tell them to come out, however there is always the odd occasion and the extra protection offered by the film will mean they do not mark the paintwork.

Also we got an Orvis back seat protector cover (which has mesh beside the centre gap so the dogs can see out). Intention being that on long journeys, the luggage goes in the boot out of sight and the dogs are in the back seats of the car with us (enjoying the panoramic roof if the weather is nice).

George

Dal
2nd Gear

Post by Dal » Thu May 17, 2018 8:39 am

douglasgdmw wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:46 am
Going to get the Audi dog guard and hard boot loading area so that our working cocker spaniels can travel in the boot of the RS.

Problem is that our older spaniel hates travelling in any car and does a frantic paw clawing as if he's trying to dig himself out. Just take a while for him to settle down.

We are looking to get a dog mattress but I measured the boot and its 100cm by 100cm, which means most dog mattresses will not fit as they are rectangular.

Could get a 100x60cm by 3 peaks but if I get 2 its likely he will just overturn it in the boot.
http://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/pets/ ... ?orderBy=1

Has any dog owner managed to find a dog mattress that fits snugly in the back of the RS?

George

These guys will make to any size you want. Got a couple made to measure from them, really good quality.

https://tuffmutts.co.uk/
B8 RS4 in the fastest colour :smile_smoking:

Return to “RS4 (B8 Typ 8K) 2012-2016”