Brake issues?

4.2 V8 32v FSI - 444 bhp
wideboy
Neutral

Brake issues?

Post by wideboy » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:09 pm

Hi Folks,

New owner here, love the car but not 100% happy with the brakes...

Has anyone managed to warp their discs?

I have slight vibration and some sound (although I admit it's not lots of either) when braking hard from 30-20. No issues at any other speeds at all...

If I leave the car for a week or 2 without driving it's terrible until I do a few hard stops to remove the rust and crap from discs, after that it's just enough to annoy me!

Had it back to dealer I bought it from and they tell me all is well (big surprise!). I've done another 1000 miles since then but it's no better (or worse). Sounds like BS to me though, all my cars have had high performance drilled/grooved discs and i've never had an issue like this before.

If I drive normally I don't notice it, I tend to change down the box and brake smoothly so it's not a huge issue. But when I have to brake hard it p#sses me off!

Could it be deposit from the auto hill hold brake? Although i'd expect to burn that off after a couple of hard stops.

Anyone else have similar? Thoughts?

Just checking out the background of the wider group before I go demand new discs from the dealer!

Cheers

wideboy
Neutral

Re: Brake issues?

Post by wideboy » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:11 pm

(only 21k on the car, 2k of which i've done since Nov on winter tyres with no particularly hard drives)

N13LXC
3rd Gear

Post by N13LXC » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:11 pm

Do you leave it in park without the handbrake on when leaving a couple of weeks? I found when i did that it was better. Breaks squeal, but they didn’t ever judder...
Current: 991.2 GTS, Q5 Sline 45TFSI
Mrs Car: A220d AMG line
My Previous (All Gone/Going):Macan Turbo PP, c350e, Golf GTD, B8 RS4 Nogaro, VW Tiguan, 8V S3, A1, B8 RS4, A5 cab, Golf GTTDI Mk6, VW Golf GTTDI Mk4, Clio 197, TT Roadster 1.8T (163), Clio 182, Megane, Clio, Astra

wideboy
Neutral

Post by wideboy » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:31 pm

Yeah I never use the handbrake in any car I drive, just in P or left in 1st on manuals.

I travel a lot so not worth the risk of seized brakes.

Parked in a garage too so not being sprayed with salt etc from the road.

Broken Record
Neutral

Post by Broken Record » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:31 pm

Mine does the same if I'm to gentle on the brakes, after a couple of sharpish applications they seem fine for the rest of weekend.

Graeme4130
Cruising

Post by Graeme4130 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:29 pm

My first B8 did this really badly, and Audi replaced the discs under warranty twice. Was a right pain in the arse to be honest, and it made the car basically underivable the first time. I use my car pretty much everyday, so it couldn't have been residue from leaving the parking brake on for long.
In the end, I bought my next one (current one) with ceramics, and never had a problem since
-------------------------------------------------------
Gone - 11/06 B7 RS4 Avant - black/black (Daily drive & kids taxi)
Gone - 05/13 B8 RS4 Avant - Suzuka grey (Daily drive & kids taxi)
Gone - 01/14 B8 RS5 Coupe - Short term car
Gone - 09/14 B8 RS4 Avant - Misano Red/Ceramics (Daily drive & kids taxi)

Current - 04/18 B9 Rs4 Nardo Grey
ZX10R Race bike - 210bhp and a few skid marks on the seat ;)

Brooner
Cruising

Post by Brooner » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:11 pm

i must be lucky ive never had this issue with any of my RS4s and some times the car is unused for 4 weeks and with the hand brake on
i get the usual rumble when first applying the brakes when i first use the car again but a good blast with some heavy braking and there fine
and never have the any issues with the brakes during the cars usage
if there warped the best course of action would be the take them off the car and confirm they are warped not sure if this can be done with them in situ but im sure someone will correct me if im wrong
then take it back to Audi and see what they say
2018 B9 RS4 Navarra Blue
2013 B8 RS4 Sepang Blue
2007 B7 RS4 Avant Sprint Blue
2001 B5 RS4 Nogaro Blue
1998 B5 S4 Avant Kingfisher Blue
1993 B4 S2 Avant laser Red

wideboy
Neutral

Post by wideboy » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:54 am

Dealer has now inspected the car and confirmed 2 warped discs...

And are refusing to replace as I have non standard (winter wheels) fitted! Despite the fact that I reported this after 7days, they then inspected car (with these wheels fitted) and found no fault... and made no mention of the wheels.

I'm furious

douglasgdmw
1st Gear

Post by douglasgdmw » Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:36 pm

Have you tried using Resolver, its a complaint service created by Martin Lewis and I have had some success when I have used it.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/site/resolver

Admit that as Audi have rejected your claim it is usually good for escalating dealerships to the manufacturer. However its worth a try.

wideboy
Neutral

Post by wideboy » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:02 pm

Thanks for the suggestion.

After many more emails the dealer is stating that the wheel nuts "must have been over torqued" and so warped the discs...

When pushed they confirm there is no mechanical damage to the bell housings, and no measurable damage either! So it's just their "professional opinion".

I can't fathom that if the wheels were put on so fricking hard they warped the discs that there would be no measurable damage to the bell housing where said warping must have originated.

I've sent my last email to the customer care manager and if it's still unresolved (no budging so far) I'm going to take it to another dealer for an opinion, then try and have an engineer inspect it. Fun times...

Outtlaw
5th Gear

Post by Outtlaw » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:20 pm

I have heard of one other case just like yours where the Audi garage refused to change wrapped discs because of the after market alloys.
Think they suggested to revert back to original Audi wheels and try another dealer.

noddy
2nd Gear

Post by noddy » Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:41 pm

Bolts pass through brakes, not to them. Aftermarket wheels can’t transmit anymore braking torque through rotors unless you are running a more sticky tyre set (semi slick in the summer). Ask them to give you another bullshit excuse, or cough up. Name and shame the dealer too, as I would trust no dealer to touch my car if there engineering abilities to diagnose the problem was this bad!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

johnnydog
3rd Gear

Post by johnnydog » Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:45 am

If you go on the B7 section, there is a lot of info there regarding brake judder. The B7 seemed to suffer from this problem on a greater scale than the B8.
I contributed a lot to this subject, including my own experiences which ultimately resulted in my B7 RS4 getting ceramics fitted under warranty.
Incidentally, there is no such thing as warped discs apparently - the problem is a build up of pad deposits caused by a transfer of materials between the pad and disc, usually when the foot brakes are applied whilst stationary whilst the discs are hot.....
Ceramics cured the problems on my B7; hence the reason why I waited until I found a B8 with ceramics before I changed from the B7.
Ceramics for me without question, but this may lead to another steels v ceramics debate.......

wideboy
Neutral

Post by wideboy » Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:08 pm

OH MY WORD.

What a marathon...

After many, many emails back and forth between myself, the salesman, the service manager and the aftercare manager over more than a week, with me explaining how physics and floating discs work... Then radio silence from Thur to this morning.
They have finally relented and fitted new discs and pads all round!!!! :jump_clap:

Car has just been delivered and brakes feel great! Had a missed call from a mystery London number first thing so assume the instruction to fix the issue came from above.

There has been no apology for the extremely poor way I feel this has been handled, but i've got the outcome I was after so i'll take that as massive win regardless.

A bit of inspiration hopefully for anyone having issues that a dealer refuses to resolve. Stick at it and hopefully you'll get a decent outcome. If not keep escalating it to next level of management.

Now I just need to hope the issue doesn't repeat itself...

Cheers!

Brooner
Cruising

Post by Brooner » Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:07 pm

Great result

just be sure to bed them in correctly and you should have no trouble from them
2018 B9 RS4 Navarra Blue
2013 B8 RS4 Sepang Blue
2007 B7 RS4 Avant Sprint Blue
2001 B5 RS4 Nogaro Blue
1998 B5 S4 Avant Kingfisher Blue