Strut Brace - Canyon Run CR-15 installed

4.2 V8 32v FSI - 444 bhp
miatang
3rd Gear

Re: Strut Brace - Canyon Run CR-15 installed

Post by miatang » Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:44 pm

I had a quick read on the audizone thread and the s4 owners seem to be mounting this on top of the original struct brace. Is this the same for the RS4?

noddy
2nd Gear

Post by noddy » Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:32 pm

Is this just a piece of box section that could be a simple diy mod?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Surrey Sam
Cruising

Post by Surrey Sam » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:41 pm

miatang wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:44 pm
I had a quick read on the audizone thread and the s4 owners seem to be mounting this on top of the original struct brace. Is this the same for the RS4?
Yes it is still the same, leave the original in place and mount on top of it with new nuts (included).

noddy wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:32 pm
Is this just a piece of box section that could be a simple diy mod?
Pretty much, if you have the time and skills to make your own. Buying it from the vendor is not exactly expensive though in the grand scheme of things.
Sepang Blue B8 RS4, MY14, All option packs, B&O, Adv Key, Adapt Cruise, Pan Roof, Akrapovic Titanium Exhaust, + more.
Previous - Sprint Blue B7 RS4 Avant, Ceramics, Sunroof, SS+, Buckets, FBSW, Bluetooth, 2010+ RNSe
Previous - Phantom Black B7 RS4 Avant, Black Optics, Titan pack, SS+, Buckets, FBSW

jml3p
Neutral

Post by jml3p » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:14 am

A big thank you to Sam and all for the info on the strut brace.

I have just ordered mine.

Kind regards,

Jonny

miatang
3rd Gear

Post by miatang » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:55 am

Ordered mine aswell. Will post up how it feels when fitted

Surrey Sam
Cruising

Post by Surrey Sam » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:21 pm

Nice one guy's, be sure to post back here with your honest thoughts once a few miles are under the belt. If you need any help, then please feel free to PM me.

I don't want over push it, but just felt it was a nice inexpensive mod. Hence asking for others to contribute feedback, both positive and negative - as I have no affiliation and it will help new owners to decide whether to purchase or not.
Sepang Blue B8 RS4, MY14, All option packs, B&O, Adv Key, Adapt Cruise, Pan Roof, Akrapovic Titanium Exhaust, + more.
Previous - Sprint Blue B7 RS4 Avant, Ceramics, Sunroof, SS+, Buckets, FBSW, Bluetooth, 2010+ RNSe
Previous - Phantom Black B7 RS4 Avant, Black Optics, Titan pack, SS+, Buckets, FBSW

BeavistheCat
Neutral

Post by BeavistheCat » Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:47 am

So, I fitted one of these on Wednesday night. Great instructions - in fact the whole process of ordering from Eurozone was very professional and painless. Only issue I had was that the only Sockets that would fit are my Wera 1/4" drive sockets. My Sealey Pro sockets were too tall to clear the rubber trim and fit the holes. Of course my Torque wrench is 3/4, and I could not find the adapters. Have had to order some and will then back off and torque to correct 20lbs over the weekend.
Anyway, first impressions were that they had made a humongous difference (and that I could not live with it for a moment longer); the car seemed to feedback every single irregularity in the tarmac. I started to think that Clarkson had had his test B8.5 delivered with the CR-15 fitted. Then I realised that instead of my usual Individual mode, I was in Dynamic. Switched modes and everything was back to "normal" . Having done a few journeys on my usual commute, consisting of country lanes, Stop Start Motorway and a short run in the London burbs, I can confirm that steering seems to provide more feedback, Comfort mode is markedly better, and may not be simply reserved for when the Ayatolla needs to use the car. I might even stick it Comfort myself from time to time when in the hunt for a Shell garage. Well worth the money, and if you have the right sockets to hand should only take 30 minutes from opening the parcel to clearing away again. Top marks and thanks to Forum members for bringing this to my attention.

jml3p
Neutral

Post by jml3p » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:16 am

I have fitted my strut brace an covered a 100 miles plus. Fitting was easy helped by Surrey Sam's photos. The car's steering is now less vague and feels tighter and planted. So I am very pleased with the outcome, worth the money for sure.

Regards,
Jonny

SteveShepherd
Neutral

Post by SteveShepherd » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:11 am

Great write up, mine is due for delivery today from @Mark Brodie @BroTek

Can't wait to get it fitted :)
2013 RS4 Suzuka Grey

SteveShepherd
Neutral

Post by SteveShepherd » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:38 am

Got mine fitted n Saturday, really impressed. Great set of instructions even down to the point of suggesting that all old leaves etc are removed while doing ti!

Really impressed with the change in steering control, much sharper and defined. Not yet driven it with a bit of vigour but I'm sure that it will perform well in those circumstances too. Great, very simple mod to fit
2013 RS4 Suzuka Grey

Surrey Sam
Cruising

Post by Surrey Sam » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:07 pm

Good feedback Steve, glad you're happy with it.

weekenny
2nd Gear

Post by weekenny » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:21 pm

Got one of these via Eurozone tuning and it came LHD so I had to cut a notch for the brake master, not a big deal but made fitting nearer an hour.

Thundercliffe81
3rd Gear

Post by Thundercliffe81 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:48 pm

Surrey Sam wrote:I fitted this last week. So thought I’d post a review/experience of the product, as I believe it may be the first fitted to an RS4?

***Click on pictures to enlarge***

The brace is designed to improve upon the OEM L-shaped brace fitted to all B8 Audi variants, which is located behind the engine fire wall. I’d read a number of positive reviews from S4/S5 owners in the United States where the product was made by an enthusiast. When I then found out a right hand drive one had been produced by James, it peaked my interest even further. So after a couple of email exchanges to see if it should fit the RS4, it was decided that there should be no reason why not and I got it ordered.

OEM L-shaped brace.
IMG_9259_1.jpg
Canyon Run CR-15 brace.
IMG_9253.jpg
IMG_9258.jpg
Cost was $168 which was paid via PayPal and cost me at the time (Jan ’18) £125.74 shipped to the UK. It then attracted Import VAT and fees which came to £26.03; so the total cost in GBP was £151.77. This was all handled by Parcel Force. James sent me a tracking number at the time of ordering and door to door, the whole process took about 10 days for the brace to arrive. It was extremely well packaged. James also included via email some instructions, but in the box there was also a paper print out to utilise as well.

Fitment was fine and done in less than 30mins. You remove the plastic bulkhead cowling and rubber to gain access. It is mentioned in the instructions that some cars require a tab on the OEM brace flattening down. Sure enough, my car (perhaps all RS’s) was like that. So a small wooden block and taps with a persuader had the tab flush, that then allowed the brace to sit down nice and level. New fixings are included and pick up on OEM threads, some of which are oddly enough, not used by the original item which is still left in place under the new one.

This tab requires flattening down to allow fitment.
IMG_9260.jpg
Additional fixing point picked up by new brace, the extra washer supplied also needs to go on this first. So it can level out the Canyon Run brace once fitted.
IMG_9259.jpg
Fitted.
IMG_9262.jpg
Once fitted and everything is put back together, you would be hard pushed to see the car had this component installed, as the black anodised finish blends in with the other engine components. Perfect for what I like and want.

Cowling and rubber re-installed. Finished discreet look.
IMG_9266.jpg

So, what you all really want to really know is - Was there any benefit? Short answer, Yes.

Taking the car for a test drive, immediately the cobbles at the end of my driveway were absorbed better and the steering feel felt smoother and a touch heavier. Heading out to a favourite road and the first opportunity to tip the car into a corner at speed, had me steering too much and I had to back off the steering angle. It’s like the car responds more immediately to the steering wheel inputs and after a few more miles, my mind had adjusted to it just fine. The front end of the car rides through the surface imperfections far better and feels more solid, with a lovely reduction in deflection. You can feel the two front corners just working more harmoniously together.

Overall it's been on for a week now and covered 300+ varied miles, I'm yet to find any negative aspects from having this fitted. So think it’s a good value for money product.

***Update*** July '18

I've covered over 5k miles now with this CR-15 brace fitted and still have nothing but positive praise for the product. There are no ill effects whatsoever and the car performed lovely around the challenging roads of the Scottish Highlands trip I recently did. Well worth the money spent.
On the list Image Cheers Sam. Very reasonable and great to get proper real World feedback.

Thundercliffe81
3rd Gear

Post by Thundercliffe81 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:09 am

For anybody still interested in getting one of these, Bro Tek in Scotland are now importers of this for James in the States. Out of stock right now but he's ordering on the 3rd Jan I think.

http://brotek.co.uk/store/c6/Accessories_.html

jangol
4th Gear

Post by jangol » Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:26 am

Thundercliffe81 wrote:For anybody still interested in getting one of these, Bro Tek in Scotland are now importers of this for James in the States. Out of stock right now but he's ordering on the 3rd Jan I think.

http://brotek.co.uk/store/c6/Accessories_.html

Thanks, think I’ll treat myself to one

Return to “RS4 (B8 Typ 8K) 2012-2016”