What should i look out for?

4.2 V8 32v FSI - 444 bhp
d8ean
Neutral

What should i look out for?

Post by d8ean » Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:08 pm

In love with the shape of the RS4, and ive been in a audi S3 ('14) plate from new, but my deal is up early next year and the RS4 fits the bill :beerchug:

But in my mind i'm worried that the car will feel like a step backwards interior wise? i've noticed not so many buttons on the steering wheel (why?) and the nav screen doesnt look as sharp as my HD nav in the S3? (maybe im wrong so some re-assurance would be great)

Interior lights in my S3 are LED, with all the foot wells and B&O lighting up which i love, presume the RS is just normal - but can be changed with some LED purchasing?

front and rear lights... would they be the same? I don't have the LED option in my S3 - so assume they would be?

Not many cars out there for sale in the main dealer network, but im keeping a close eye.... what else should i be looking out for?

TIA

Surrey Sam
Cruising

Re: What should i look out for?

Post by Surrey Sam » Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:22 pm

Welcome.

I don't think you'll find moving to an RS4 an issue at all. If you look for a MY14 onwards car then you'll get the larger high res 7" display along with DAB, AMI and Power Tailgate coming as standard. The RS4 carbon interior trims will make the console feel plusher, compared with all the plastic you get in the S3. Then there is the chunkier perforated leather steering wheel and gear selector which again improve the everyday tactility.

On the RS4 it would have been nice to get the programmable * button on the steering wheel, but it never came with it. If you have a good memory for voice functions then the Speech Dialog System can control most MMI features. The interior lights are just normal bulbs, so you can replace with whatever LED aftermarket solution works for you. I've got VCDS, so have activated the ambient lighting feature which allows you to turn on the foot well lights and adjust the intensity via the MMI menu. The rear tail lights are LED, as are the front DRL's, and standard equipment gets you Bi-Xenon adaptive headlights with corner lights. These swivel with the level of steering input which is handy if you drive country roads, as it allows you to see into the corners better and the corner light comes on below 19mph when turning into a side road/driveway.

Spec is a personal thing but more toys, certainly helps to keep the car feeling modern for longer. I'd say the must have options are:

MY14 onwards
Full Leather
Sports Package
Panoramic Sunroof
Bang and Olufsen
Rear Camera (either on its own or as part of the Driver Assistance Pack)
Full Main Dealer service history with 20k gearbox oil change completed

Also budget to extend the warranty with Audi. Good luck with the search :thumbs:
Sepang Blue B8 RS4, MY14, All option packs, B&O, Adv Key, Adapt Cruise, Pan Roof, Akrapovic Titanium Exhaust, + more.
Previous - Sprint Blue B7 RS4 Avant, Ceramics, Sunroof, SS+, Buckets, FBSW, Bluetooth, 2010+ RNSe
Previous - Phantom Black B7 RS4 Avant, Black Optics, Titan pack, SS+, Buckets, FBSW

Surrey Sam
Cruising

Post by Surrey Sam » Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:27 pm

Also have a look in the FAQ post at the top of the section. In there are the downloadable brochure PDF's and a servicing schedule which should help you a bit.
Sepang Blue B8 RS4, MY14, All option packs, B&O, Adv Key, Adapt Cruise, Pan Roof, Akrapovic Titanium Exhaust, + more.
Previous - Sprint Blue B7 RS4 Avant, Ceramics, Sunroof, SS+, Buckets, FBSW, Bluetooth, 2010+ RNSe
Previous - Phantom Black B7 RS4 Avant, Black Optics, Titan pack, SS+, Buckets, FBSW

Shinobi675
5th Gear

Post by Shinobi675 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:47 pm

I’ve got a 15 plate I maybe looking to move on in the new year after 18 months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
996 C4S, B8 RS4, CBR600RR & a little ZXR400

djcliffsmiff
Neutral

Post by djcliffsmiff » Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:09 pm

d8ean wrote:In love with the shape of the RS4, and ive been in a audi S3 ('14) plate from new, but my deal is up early next year and the RS4 fits the bill :beerchug:

But in my mind i'm worried that the car will feel like a step backwards interior wise? i've noticed not so many buttons on the steering wheel (why?) and the nav screen doesnt look as sharp as my HD nav in the S3? (maybe im wrong so some re-assurance would be great)

Interior lights in my S3 are LED, with all the foot wells and B&O lighting up which i love, presume the RS is just normal - but can be changed with some LED purchasing?

front and rear lights... would they be the same? I don't have the LED option in my S3 - so assume they would be?

Not many cars out there for sale in the main dealer network, but im keeping a close eye.... what else should i be looking out for?

TIA
I would definitely go a see a few cars with different specs. And see what you thing.

Seats are important choice, the larger sports seats look great but they do reduce rear passenger legroom a bit, my lids a pretty big so was not an option for me. Also alcantara and leather choice, I went all leather as I have the kids munching food in the back, I had alcantara on my s3 was lovely but you want to look after it.

I test drive a few with sunroof but they all squeaked and rattles so did not go with it.

Bigger wheels are always nice.

I found that it was quite hard to get the exact spec that was right for me, some mmi functionality can be retro fitted which is nice to know.

Just focus on the must have features for you and then that with narrow down the available cars.

What Sam said is right, I would always go for one with a warranty (ideally Audi), my car has been fine but i have read dome of the year box stories.

If you are buying direct from Audi you can negotiate additional years into the deal. I got two years on mine when initially they were only offering 1 year.

Good luck, I have had mine for 8 months, love it!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

d8ean
Neutral

Post by d8ean » Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:46 pm

i see one (customer car i believe) sitting at Coulsdon Audi.....
Whilst the car looks great, i just felt it looked tied / old inside compared to a new S3.

If budget allowed a 1/2 y/old RS6 would be perfect, but my budget just wont get there right now.... been getting offered some nice deals on RS3's that are already built and just need picking up... think that will be a better car TBH

Thanks for all the replies

2f2f
Neutral

Post by 2f2f » Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:02 pm

Its a long call from S3 to RS6.
2015 RS4
Nogaro Blue Sports Exhaust DRC Buckets Private Glass Pan Roof 20'' Black Mat Rotors B&O SS ACC

djcliffsmiff
Neutral

Post by djcliffsmiff » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:27 pm

2f2f wrote:Its a long call from S3 to RS6.
Very long call

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Surrey Sam
Cruising

Post by Surrey Sam » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:37 pm

Think the OP just needs to get in and test drive the cars rather than window Shop. 2 kids and an A3 is going to be tight.

Bund
2nd Gear

Post by Bund » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:48 pm

Hi Dean

We have both gone full circle haven’t we!!! 😂

I ended up going for the B7 Rs4(surreysams old old car in fact). I wanted a b8 to start with and to be fair I’m starting to think it would of been a better choice for a daily(auto/standard seats etc) but I do love the manual box in the 7.

I wouldn’t worry about the interior not being as up to date as you made do with the 360 interior and that seemed far more dated than the 430 😁, drive the car and make a decision on the whole package. Personally I’m bored of new car interiors, got in an X5 yesterday and the led lighting around the cabin looked terrible and cheap to me.
Merc 560 SEC
Merc E320 Sportline Cab
Toyota LJ70 LC

Return to “RS4 (B8 Typ 8K) 2012-2016”