Gearbox question

4.2 V8 32v FSI - 444 bhp
MSLRS5
1st Gear

Gearbox question

Post by MSLRS5 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:29 pm

Car is booked for major service tomorrow and will have all associated gearbox oils changed. Has now done 46,000 miles and s-ironic service was done at 35,000 miles.
My question is (because of the recent gearbox issues on here) what noise if any should be heard at idle? When cold, there is virtual no noise from the transmission tunnel but after 30 minutes of driving then at idle there is noise there. Could be described as a whine, also sounds like a pump running, but if so why is it not there when cold?
I can't say that there is much if any of a jolt from 2nd to 1st, and 99 percent of the time it is driven on manual mode. Presumably there is supposed to be some noise from the tunnel but to what degree.....? Does this sound normal at all? Thanks.

noddy
2nd Gear

Re: Gearbox question

Post by noddy » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:07 pm

MSLRS5 wrote:Car is booked for major service tomorrow and will have all associated gearbox oils changed. Has now done 46,000 miles and s-ironic service was done at 35,000 miles.
My question is (because of the recent gearbox issues on here) what noise if any should be heard at idle? When cold, there is virtual no noise from the transmission tunnel but after 30 minutes of driving then at idle there is noise there. Could be described as a whine, also sounds like a pump running, but if so why is it not there when cold?
I can't say that there is much if any of a jolt from 2nd to 1st, and 99 percent of the time it is driven on manual mode. Presumably there is supposed to be some noise from the tunnel but to what degree.....? Does this sound normal at all? Thanks.
I have read somewhere about a fluid pipe that resonates against some structure around the gearbox and can be insulted easily, not sure where though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Surrey Sam
Cruising

Post by Surrey Sam » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:15 pm

Doesn't sound normal, mine doesn't do anythng like that. There are a few updates to cure odd noises, but there could also be a deeper underlying issue, so I'd advise to get it checked out.
Sepang Blue B8 RS4, MY14, All option packs, B&O, Adv Key, Adapt Cruise, Pan Roof, Akrapovic Titanium Exhaust, + more.
Previous - Sprint Blue B7 RS4 Avant, Ceramics, Sunroof, SS+, Buckets, FBSW, Bluetooth, 2010+ RNSe
Previous - Phantom Black B7 RS4 Avant, Black Optics, Titan pack, SS+, Buckets, FBSW

MSLRS5
1st Gear

Post by MSLRS5 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:11 pm

The only thing that they discovered as part of the service was a loose piece of trim. They reckon that this could be resonating as causing the issue. From the dealer video it looks like it could be the culprit.
On the downside also discovered leaking front shock that needs replacing. Under warranty but still have a £250 excess to find for that. :thumbsdown:

RED_ROCKET
4th Gear

Post by RED_ROCKET » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:54 am

So far the experience with Audi and the box issues I've had has been more then uncomfortable, after a new box and clutches the problem is intermittent and the car has never driven right..

They probably will only do something when it just stops in the middle of the road and refuses to change gear!
993 Gt2 - Mid life crisis
RS6 b6 Avant - Black, ceramics..wip (sold)
RS4 b7 Avant - Mugello Blue, ceramics, Exclusive interior (Sold)
Datsun - Cherry turbo, sunroof...going strong..(sold)
RS4 b7 Avant- Sprint Blue, Ceramics, Milltek (sold)
RS4 B5 -(Disappeared)
A1 - Sportline Audi Sport Edition(Sold)
Q7 - Family wagon (RIP)

Return to “RS4 (B8 Typ 8K) 2012-2016”