New gearbox needed at 26k miles

4.2 V8 32v FSI - 444 bhp
johnnydog
3rd Gear

Re: New gearbox needed at 26k miles

Post by johnnydog » Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:01 am

There are two auto transmission repair places in Preston - If it's the one on Emanuel St, off Blackpool Road, I have had work done there on a (cough) Vauxhall Omega several years ago - they certainly know their stuff, and they have actually done auto gearbox repairs on behalf of Preston Audi in the the past.

JamesLawrance
Neutral

Post by JamesLawrance » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:39 am

Yeah thats the one! Just off blackpool road! Had my RRS done by them! I know they get through a lot of RS cars as there is always one in when i go haha

innercry666
3rd Gear

Post by innercry666 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:02 pm

Quick update on the gearbox issues. Took the car back to Audi before xmas and they did a test on the oil to check for glycol in the oil and came back positive. It would seem that the coolant from the Automatic Transmission Fluid radiator can get into the oil if there is a fault with the ATF. This then contaminates the clutches and from experience plays havoc with the way the car drives.

So Audi replaced the clutch pack and ATF radiator as per the TPI. Surprisingly they didn't replace the valvetronic unit that controls the shifts. Apparently parts of this can corrode as the fluid from the radiator can start to eat away at it.

The car definitely drives better and is behaving more like it used to do, however the clunky shifts are still there. Not as bad as before but definitely still there.
RS6 PE - Current
RS4 (B8.5) 2015 - Sold
A4 3.0 TDI Quattro BE Avant - Gone
Focus ST170 - Garaged

Return to “RS4 (B8 Typ 8K) 2012-2016”