Cause for concern?

4.2 V8 32v FSI - 444 bhp
MSLRS5
1st Gear

Cause for concern?

Post by MSLRS5 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:48 pm

Hi All,
Currently running a B8 RS4 for two years now with no real issues.
Today, for the second time in a week, a fault has shown: "Do not exceed 6,000 rpm" and also the EPC light comes on. The manual says that engine speed should not be exceeded when cold but to take to a dealer if the EPC light comes on. On the first occasion, I inadvertently did hit the limiter when stationary when changing from auto to manual at zero road speed, and I suspect that this caused the warning light some moments later.
This time though, although the vehicle was cold and the heated seats and a/c were running, the warning came on after about 5 minutes of running, and nowhere near 6,000 rpm hit. After oil temp was fine, then both warnings (inc EPC) went away.
Has anyone else experienced this, or does it mean a visit to the dealer to investigate...?
Cheers.

noddy
2nd Gear

Re: Cause for concern?

Post by noddy » Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:56 pm

See nf2029's thread. I think it was a similar issue. Not sure if they ever got to the bottom of it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MSLRS5
1st Gear

Post by MSLRS5 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:30 pm

Thanks noddy...
Doesn't look like he said what the issue was in the end. Best to get it booked in I suppose.

mick_thomson74
Neutral

Post by mick_thomson74 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:10 pm

Might be the same as what I had. Sounds similar. I ended up with new coil packs and spark plugs all round.

MSLRS5
1st Gear

Post by MSLRS5 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:47 pm

Thanks.
Will book in next week and see what they say...

nf2029
Neutral

Post by nf2029 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:03 am

I am afraid to say I never did get to the bottom of it. It just went away! Fontain could never find anything on diagnostics and it never happened to them when they had it. It hadn't done it for about 2 months but then after a day of no use last week when I next jumped in it, up the warning light came on again. I ignored it and carried on. I wish I knew what it was but don't think I will ever get to the bottom of it!

MSLRS5
1st Gear

Post by MSLRS5 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:35 pm

It is just one of those annoying faults that you forget about and then bugs you when it reappears.
I'm waiting until it goes in for its next service now as there seems to be no negative effect on the performance.

nf2029
Neutral

Post by nf2029 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:47 am

Well on Saturday I fired up the RS4 and immediately the warning message came up. The car then just cut out. I restarted, it did some rev hunting and then cut out again. Fired up for a third time, no problem and off I went on my merry way.

Super strange, I wish I could get it sorted because there is obviously something wrong with it... Just no record of it on diagnostics at all.

noddy
2nd Gear

Post by noddy » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:33 am

One thing I have noticed is the car is sensitive to fuel change. If you change between 95 and 98 the engine seems to take time to adjust. When I first had mine it was lumpy on start up even when warm. But after a few tanks of fuel from the same garage it stopped.

nf2029
Neutral

Post by nf2029 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:11 pm

That is interesting feedback. Thanks.

Car has just been at Fontain this morning as one of the Adaptive Headlights has failed! Yawn... But any way they said there was new gearbox software available again. It got updated in June but this is an even newer one. I have to say the car already feels a lot smoother and hopefully this could be the end of the engine limit issues. Just to get the headlight fixed now!! :audibash:

alexey1313
Neutral

Post by alexey1313 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:19 am

Hello everybody and Happy new year!

I’m from Moscow, Russia traveling trough Europe on my RS4 2015. And I have the similar problem like topicstarter has. The first time it occurred in summer when I was on race track near Moscow. I did 4-5 laps very fast with strong acceleration and braking and after I slowed down I saw that engine temp arrows is a little bit higher than 90 and yellow sign about 6000 rpm. I stopped the car, engine worked at idle and the problem gone and never reoccurred. Until 31st of December. I drove from Krakow to Prague about 4 hours with average speed 160-200 km/h and when I “landed” in Prague and drove in the city traffic this problem occurred again. After 2-3 minutes it disappeared. Yesterday I traveled to Dresden and back like 130-150 km/h and this problem occurred I think 4-5 times always when decelerate to 60-90 km/h.
I’m very concerned about it. I have a long trip for next several days - to Wien, Budapest, Ukraine and back to Moscow. Please advise me how to be. Thanks in advance.

Surrey Sam
Cruising

Post by Surrey Sam » Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:11 pm

Hello and happy new year :drink: :thumbs:

To be certain, you would need to see if any fault codes have been logged. Any Audi dealership could do this for you but some may charge you to carry out the fault code investigation. The fact that it comes and goes suggests it's not catastrophic but still should be investigated. Not ideal considering your long journey ahead.

I've had the EPC light and the rev limit to 6000rpm message, this has only happened on motorway cruises on light throttle/cruise control. My fault codes are P2004 & P2005 for stuck open inlet manifold flaps. This could be down to a vacuum leak or carbon build up. I'm yet to find out which, as I'm logging other data before removing the manifold to further investigate.
Sepang Blue B8 RS4, MY14, All option packs, B&O, Adv Key, Adapt Cruise, Pan Roof, Akrapovic Titanium Exhaust, + more.
Previous - Sprint Blue B7 RS4 Avant, Ceramics, Sunroof, SS+, Buckets, FBSW, Bluetooth, 2010+ RNSe
Previous - Phantom Black B7 RS4 Avant, Black Optics, Titan pack, SS+, Buckets, FBSW

alexey1313
Neutral

Post by alexey1313 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:36 am

Yeah, I understand that I need to go to dealer but in my case it will not help because I don’t have time for repair... just 2 days in each city. Yesterday I went from Prague to Vienna, lamp came on just 1 time and quickly disappeared. Temp arrow was on 90 and temporary came a little bit higher and back.

jangol
4th Gear

Post by jangol » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:35 am

I have a similar issue only on cold days when I 1st start it, I pull over & restart her & alls ok..

The good news, our dear friends at MRC diagnosis back in Dec, was a sticking exhaust actuator, it’s in this week for a replacement & oil change..

jangol
4th Gear

Post by jangol » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:27 pm

jangol wrote:I have a similar issue only on cold days when I 1st start it, I pull over & restart her & alls ok..

The good news, our dear friends at MRC diagnosis back in Dec, was a sticking exhaust actuator, it’s in this week for a replacement & oil change..

Got my car back from MRC today, had no issue on cold start, car would off been sat for 3 days so normal behaviour would have shown a error, appears to be cured..

Will keep in eye & reconfirm in a weeks or so’s time

Return to “RS4 (B8 Typ 8K) 2012-2016”