Help with DRC please

4.2 V8 32v FSI - 444 bhp
Silverfox42
4th Gear

Re: Help with DRC please

Post by Silverfox42 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:04 am

Mr spoonz wrote:
Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:15 am
Is this something that's a recall? I hear all of warranty replacements but sounds to me if that many go wrong on such low milliage etc.
Mine just hit 38k. I have 6 months warranty left. Feel I should say it has this noise even if it doesn't to get them replaced at this rate of hearing about it.
May have to look at extending warranty anyway but jeez.

Further more. It's my thinking that a shock is a moving wearable item. So them covering it under warranty for a "wearable" part as such says to me that it's a design fault?
So surely they should replace them what ever warranty or bought 2nd hand and not from audk anyway?
Being as there is a 3rd gen now too?
3rd time bloody lucky is it?? Lol
With my B6 S4 Avant I booked in for a pre-warranty end inspection as was aware of the aux radiator issue that is well documented in the RS4 B7 section and had that done under warranty. Perhaps do the same with your RS and mention the knocking sound. Audi did not road test my car before committing to the front shocks replacement. My car is on 47k miles..
2017 RS6 Performance
Previous:
2006 RS4 B7 Cab, 2014 RS4 - Suzuka + a ton of toys, 2011 RS5, spec'd up + ABT exhaust, 2006 B7 RS4 'loon - 5 years of fun! 2006 Aston V8 Vantage, 2006 S4 Cab, 2005 S4 Avant, 2000 TT 225 Cab, 2001 2.5 A4 TDI Quattro, 2000 A4 1.8T Sport, 1996 2.6 80 Cab, 1997 A4 1.8 T Sport

Urbanpixels
1st Gear

Post by Urbanpixels » Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:10 pm

Thats where the dash cams come in play, just refitted mine to the new car!

I've just collected my new b8.5 from the dealer and they've replaced the 2 front struts as per warrenty/used car checks. So it must be a problem known to them, the car only has 14000miles also.

Mr spoonz
Neutral

Post by Mr spoonz » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:44 am

This is what I'm thinking. I haven't got any noises. But I'm Thinking of saying there is!!!! So I get the 3rd time. Lucky shocks as my car is a 62plate b8.
She has had an easy life and everything feels tight and "plush" at moment. Just would be a kick in the ass if it went out of warranty or do a pre warranty end check and they say it's fine and 2 weeks after it goes.
Would hate to fight a dealer.
I don't have much faith in my local one as 2 sales persons were telling me the rs4 b8 wasnt a 4.2 v8 when I was asking for my search criteria when they were trying to find one to spec of my Choice in branch. So they probably thinking a shock absorber is something to do with electric equipment...... So u don't get a zap.

I certainly don't want test drives done in it. Can you request this doesn't happen ? I don't trust my misses to driving it let alone a apprentice who drove to work in his saxo.

johnnydog
3rd Gear

Post by johnnydog » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:18 am

Mr spoonz wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:44 am
This is what I'm thinking. I haven't got any noises. But I'm Thinking of saying there is!!!!

I certainly don't want test drives done in it. Can you request this doesn't happen ? I don't trust my misses to driving it let alone a apprentice who drove to work in his saxo.
As has been said previously, front shocks will be replaced irrespective of the age of the car now if they can be heard knocking over minor road imperfections / defects. However, the technician will have to confirm the defect by testing the car by driving it. I don't think many dealers will replace them solely on the customers say so! I was asked by the technician to accompany him to assess the fault on mine, which I'm sure wouldn't be a problem if you asked.
Don't forget, they will have to drive it after they are fitted to confirm the repair has rectified the fault, and sometimes their QC chap may drive it too, as some dealers do random QC checks on cars after repairs have been carried out to try and prevent a rtw (return to workshop) with the same fault or fault reoccurring, which obviously doesn't do anything for customer service.
If the shock is leaking oil, then they will still drive it to check for symptoms of shock absorber fault, probably before putting on the ramps to carry out a visual check, and then drive it after any repair.
Don't forget that most Audi dealerships have technicians that specifically carry out work on RS models, and the hourly rate chargeable is higher for these technicians. From what I have seen with my car, the same technicians always seem to work on my car; so I wouldn't loose too much sleep about how it's being driven whilst in for work.
If you did, then you would never sleep at night and end up a nervous wreck! Yours won't be the only RS4 that has been through the workshop........

dave81uk
1st Gear

Post by dave81uk » Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:06 pm

I've just had my 2013 38k miles b8 Avant in Audi for a health check after purchasing last week. Reason for taking in was it was purchased with 5 year warranty from New rather than standard 3 year. I thought I had a slight knock at the front and the technician has confirmed there is play in the shock and requires 2 front shocks. However I currently cannot get them to do it under warranty as it is classed as wear & tear.
Even spoken to Audi UK and they aren't interested.

Any advise on this is appreciated as I don't know which way to turn now.
Thanks in advance

dave81uk
1st Gear

Post by dave81uk » Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:07 pm

johnnydog
3rd Gear

Post by johnnydog » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:48 pm

You don't say whether you bought the car through Audi or elsewhere.
If you bought the car through the Audi network, then your first port of call would be the supplying dealer. You have a strong case to reject the car due to leaking front shocks within such a short space of time if they refuse to honour replacement within the used car warranty period, as it is 'safety' issue. How many reputable MOT garages would pass a car with leaking shocks? The car also has the five year warranty which ought to cover such defects without question.
It depends also whether the leak on the front shocks is 'misting' or a 'leak'. Audi say that misting is acceptable, but leaking shocks should be replaced without question. However, a leak is also the likely cause of the knock. I would insist that the pressure is checked in the DRC system. A distinct hollow knock over minor road imperfections is all that is needed to get the shocks replaced, which needs to be confirmed by the dealer.
I have a copy of the Audi bulletin regarding replacing the front shocks as a result of the knocking issue which has been widely discussed on here. From what I can gather, some dealerships are being a little dismissive of the knocking shocks issue, dispite the bulletin which came out around April last year. It basically acknowledges this fault with the action of shock replacement if confirmed.
Personally, I would have held off from contacting Audi UK for the minute, but gone to see the service manager at the dealership, and put your point across. The last thing they want is a complaint to Audi UK, which will go against the dealership and may sway the matter being rectified. Whether there will be a record now at Audi UK of your issue which they declined to rectify, I don't know, but it may have weakened your threat to complain to Audi UK to a point....?
If you bought it outside of the Audi network, in my opinion, because the knock is present AND the shocks are 'leaking' rather than 'misting' (according to their own paperwork), they should be replaced under the 5 year warranty anyway. If the first dealer won't do anything, I have known a different dealership take a different view on the same fault. It depends on how they value your future business.
Keep pushing til you get the matter sorted.
Being firm with them, but obviously polite, is the best way to get somewhere imo.

dave81uk
1st Gear

Post by dave81uk » Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:47 pm

Thanks for the info johnnydog

It wasn't a dealer I purchased it from but through a "garage".

I have spoken to the manager of the dealership today and he is seeing what they can do to reduce the cost of repair (which I haven't been advised of yet).
Definately advising of a non warranty repair as it's wear & tear. Also Audi U.K. Advised me of this as well. However Audi UK have advised I can escalate the case with them.
The issue is misting I believe, although it says leaking on the service sheet, on the front 2 shocks which I know is acceptable. The issue is the slight movement / play in the suspension.
It was serviced only in February at another dealer which is a bit further away but I may consider going back to them with it and see what they say.
If you had the device bulletin this could prove very useful. Could you pm it me at all?

Thanks

Christurbo
1st Gear

Post by Christurbo » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:31 pm

Hi guys. I've just taken delivery of a 64 plate RS4 with 28k and on my way home I noticed that there was a hollow knock coming from the front suspension when going over rough road or dips and speedhumps. My search brought me here. I will contact my local dealer to have a look under warranty. I'll report back.

DeanoC
4th Gear

Post by DeanoC » Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:14 am

My dealer was ace. Sent the pics and they ordered the parts and it is booked in in a fortnight

johnnydog
3rd Gear

Post by johnnydog » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:01 pm

dave81uk wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:47 pm
Thanks for the info johnnydog

It wasn't a dealer I purchased it from but through a "garage".

I have spoken to the manager of the dealership today and he is seeing what they can do to reduce the cost of repair (which I haven't been advised of yet).
Definately advising of a non warranty repair as it's wear & tear. Also Audi U.K. Advised me of this as well. However Audi UK have advised I can escalate the case with them.
The issue is misting I believe, although it says leaking on the service sheet, on the front 2 shocks which I know is acceptable. The issue is the slight movement / play in the suspension.
It was serviced only in February at another dealer which is a bit further away but I may consider going back to them with it and see what they say.
If you had the device bulletin this could prove very useful. Could you pm it me at all?
Thanks
dave81uk
If you want to pm me with your email address, I will send the TPI bulletin to you .

Whilst I'm not a qualified mechanic, I fail to see how movement in the shock absorber is classed as wear and tear. I'll stand corrected, but I would never have classed a shock absorber / insert as a wear and tear item. Obviously, brake discs, pads and consumables like tyres, wiper blades and certain bulbs (not led type) are wear and tear items, but not shocks. If anyone knows more about this or has any thoughts I would be interested to know the reasoning behind it. I personally, would push your dealer a bit harder. It makes a mockery of the 5 year extended warranty IMO.
I understand each dealership has a monthly 'goodwill' pot from Audi; even if you weren't successful with them being replaced under warranty, I'm sure you may get a large chuck of goodwill if you press the right buttons.
The fact that you didn't buy the car through the Audi network will definitely weaken your case unfortunately - they look a lot more favourably on cars bought from an Audi dealership than from an independent garage or privately; your only main playing card would be that you intend to have any future service work carried out at the dealership you approach, although they only can take your word for that, unless you've previously owned an Audi that has gone to them.

dave81uk
1st Gear

Post by dave81uk » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:49 pm

I'll pm you now.
Yes I took my previous RS6 C6 to them.
Service manager is definately sticking to his guns.
Spoke to him today and has offered £780 for both front shocks but to be honest if I'm doing it I'll do all 4.
Might try another dealer that serviced it in February.
Cheers

johnnydog
3rd Gear

Post by johnnydog » Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:32 am

dave81uk,
Email sent (two!)
johnnydog

Christurbo
1st Gear

Post by Christurbo » Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:35 am

So an update to my post above. Took it into my local Audi dealership and the tech came put for a test drive. Fortunately I could recreate the knocking noise on multiple occasions.

They confirmed that pressure was lower than Audi recommended levels and they had followed the latest tech bulletin and sent my details off the Audi to be reviewed and outcome decided. I will get a call Monday.

Surrey Sam
Cruising

Post by Surrey Sam » Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:51 pm

Hopefully the outcome will be good for you, let us know how you get on. :thumbs:
Sepang Blue B8 RS4, MY14, All option packs, B&O, Adv Key, Adapt Cruise, Pan Roof, Akrapovic Titanium Exhaust, + more.
Previous - Sprint Blue B7 RS4 Avant, Ceramics, Sunroof, SS+, Buckets, FBSW, Bluetooth, 2010+ RNSe
Previous - Phantom Black B7 RS4 Avant, Black Optics, Titan pack, SS+, Buckets, FBSW

Return to “RS4 (B8 Typ 8K) 2012-2016”