Help with DRC please

4.2 V8 32v FSI - 444 bhp
cuttsy
2nd Gear

Re: Help with DRC please

Post by cuttsy » Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:06 am

johnnydog wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:39 pm
The TPI only covers 'knockng', usually experienced from the front offside over minor surface undulations. Other defects such as leaks are a seperate warranty issue - leaks will actually cause the knocking noise. Knocking shockers caused by leaks will only be replaced by the standard shocker; knocking shocks with no other cause, will get the uprated shockers as a replacement.
Was the leak that you had repaired under warranty actually from a shocker or from elsewhere i.e pipe work etc?
The knocking you experienced will probably been as a result of low pressure caused by the leak. Having said that if the system is run for a prolonged period with low pressure, then this can cause other damage to DRC components.
If there is a slight oil leak on a shocker resulting in a light 'misting' of oil, then Audi say this is acceptable, as would a reasonable MOT man, but if it is a wet oily leak, then it is faulty and should be covered under warranty, but then you only get a standard shocker as a replacement if there is no knocking.
People in the call centres sometimes are pretty clueless, from my experiences. I regularly got phone calls in June when I had my B7 saying my MOT was due, when it didn't expire until September........
I would be tempted to personally visit a different Audi dealership and speak to them direct, rather than over the phone or via a call centre. You would be surprised on different dealerships take on issues such as this.
Be firm but polite - if they are suggesting the shocker should be replaced, then they are saying it is a proper leak, rather than their description about 'misting', so it should be replaced under warranty - there should be no arguments!
Thanks for the info, the car went in and apparently both front shocks are weeping, but not enough to warrant replacing under warranty? I need to take it in just before its MOT in 6 months time to see if they need replacing or sooner if they start knocking. The one pleasant surprise was the car didn't in the end need all the work they said it did at the last service (two weeks before) and the bill ended up almost £1K cheaper.

Geoff A
2nd Gear

Post by Geoff A » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:28 am

Just had both fronts replaced this week (when in for a service with Stratford). Master Tech clocked the knocking fronts on a test drive, and the upgraded items were ordered and fitted next day.
Car drives so much better, its quieter and much more stable on the nose.
Guess it depends on the dealer and the skills of the Tech's, but I'll be using Stratford again, as their customer service, approach and helpfulness was everything I expected. Thanks to Eddie555 for the recommendation :thumbs:

Rich1782
Neutral

Post by Rich1782 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:28 pm

Hi all, just an update on DRC pains (64 plate 28k), I had the upgraded shocks replaced via the TPI about 1 year / 7k mi ago, transformed the car, was so happy. Did a drive up to surrey from plymouth that week and by the time I had got up there a clunk had appeared on front right, I assumed because the DRC had spat out fluid from a pressure relief valve or something when going over a sharp pothole in the dark. Car was about 75% as good as it was when I picked it up from the TPI for the next year so I just lived with it as it is a major hassle to get to the 2 audi shops in the south west.
Took it in end of Aug for it's MOT and reported the clunk, which they couldnt replicate, but took the car back recently and demonstrated it in the car park. In addition, the last few months when I have been driving into the village I live in, I pass a garden wall and I always heard chirping noises, which I assumed was just birds evey time when the window was down! Turns out it was a noise not unlike a slipping fan belt screech coming from front right too. This could be replicated by turning steering wheel hard to compress the suspension at that corner. Dealer was very good as said it was still an open case under original 3yr warranty, drained and regassed DRC, didn't fix it, found the strut was faulty apparently and swapped that out which fixed it. Picked up the car the next day and was clunking front right and back left straight out the car park, had to go on a little drive to pick mrs up and by the time I had got back to the dealer (30 mi), the sound had gone! Come monday, car making an almighty racket, sounds like someone is hitting a baking tray with a cricket ball! taken it back today to find out what on earth is wrong. By the time I got to dealer, noise had gone.

several things here, 1. it seems like this issue is a result of warming up (would explain why they heard no noise on test drive after re pressurising perhaps) and cooling down (hence my monday morning nightmare). 2. they had another 64 plate B8 in with DRC issues, did the drain, replace and refill on DRC and happy days for that guy, therfore suspension issues may be causing problems that make people think DRC has failed. 3. Has anyone else who has had their DRC fixed, had a reappearance of noise either very quickly or in the last year since the TPI was circulated? 4. Why oh why did I tick DRC on the options!? I paid £2k to have the system repaired on the C5 and it failed a month later too, fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice....

sorry for the rambling, but it's quite a complicated and ling series of events which have got me here!

noddy
2nd Gear

Post by noddy » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:23 pm

If mine ever goes, I will opt for coil over setup. The drc does do well keeping the car flat, but coil overs can make the car more tweaked depending on your mood. Dynamic mode on the suspension is a waste unless you take it on a track, way over damped

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

innercry666
3rd Gear

Post by innercry666 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:53 pm

Rich1782 wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:28 pm
Hi all, just an update on DRC pains (64 plate 28k), I had the upgraded shocks replaced via the TPI about 1 year / 7k mi ago, transformed the car, was so happy. Did a drive up to surrey from plymouth that week and by the time I had got up there a clunk had appeared on front right, I assumed because the DRC had spat out fluid from a pressure relief valve or something when going over a sharp pothole in the dark. Car was about 75% as good as it was when I picked it up from the TPI for the next year so I just lived with it as it is a major hassle to get to the 2 audi shops in the south west.
Took it in end of Aug for it's MOT and reported the clunk, which they couldnt replicate, but took the car back recently and demonstrated it in the car park. In addition, the last few months when I have been driving into the village I live in, I pass a garden wall and I always heard chirping noises, which I assumed was just birds evey time when the window was down! Turns out it was a noise not unlike a slipping fan belt screech coming from front right too. This could be replicated by turning steering wheel hard to compress the suspension at that corner. Dealer was very good as said it was still an open case under original 3yr warranty, drained and regassed DRC, didn't fix it, found the strut was faulty apparently and swapped that out which fixed it. Picked up the car the next day and was clunking front right and back left straight out the car park, had to go on a little drive to pick mrs up and by the time I had got back to the dealer (30 mi), the sound had gone! Come monday, car making an almighty racket, sounds like someone is hitting a baking tray with a cricket ball! taken it back today to find out what on earth is wrong. By the time I got to dealer, noise had gone.

several things here, 1. it seems like this issue is a result of warming up (would explain why they heard no noise on test drive after re pressurising perhaps) and cooling down (hence my monday morning nightmare). 2. they had another 64 plate B8 in with DRC issues, did the drain, replace and refill on DRC and happy days for that guy, therfore suspension issues may be causing problems that make people think DRC has failed. 3. Has anyone else who has had their DRC fixed, had a reappearance of noise either very quickly or in the last year since the TPI was circulated? 4. Why oh why did I tick DRC on the options!? I paid £2k to have the system repaired on the C5 and it failed a month later too, fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice....

sorry for the rambling, but it's quite a complicated and ling series of events which have got me here!
I had the front shocks replaced last year under warranty and the ride quality has started to deteriorate again as it did the first time before they were replaced. No knocking sound but the suspension appears to sag to the rear right when the car is parked on a flat surface. Audi are going to look at it in a couple of weeks so will see what they find.
RS6 PE - Current
RS4 (B8.5) 2015 - Sold
A4 3.0 TDI Quattro BE Avant - Gone
Focus ST170 - Garaged

douglasgdmw
1st Gear

Post by douglasgdmw » Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:14 pm

Just been told that one of the fronts shocks has been weeping with oil.

Very concerned that the dealership indicated that only a single shock would be replaced, this is a performance car that has 4 wheel drive and I would have expected at least both shocks front shocks to be replaced.

Looking for opinions on this as to whether I am being over zelous (car has only covered 26k miles)

Return to “RS4 (B8 Typ 8K) 2012-2016”