Clear lenses and shutter mods on adaptive headlights

4.2 V8 32v FSI - 444 bhp
DeanoC
4th Gear

Clear lenses and shutter mods on adaptive headlights

Post by DeanoC » Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:12 pm

Hey everyone, I spent a day with @trups recently to upgrade my lights as I was not massively impressed coming from LED's in my previous car. I'm very happy with the results and i'm yet to put my Osram CBI's in.

We added clear Morimoto etched lenses, modified the shutter and removed the RV shield. Here are a few pics but we did create a full guide for those who would like to give it a go:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0n0121j3ojwkw ... n.pdf?dl=0
rsz_lights.jpg
rsz_dsc02739.jpg
rsz_dsc02725.jpg
pjimage (8).jpg
This is what removing the RV shield does (shows LHD not RHD):
RVShielddifference.jpg
Dipped beam comparison, OEM top, modified bottom. Check out how much the burnout in front of the car is reduced. This makes you fatigued and limits your visibility in the darker areas. It's like when you walk down the street at night you can see further when you are not under a street light than when you are. Also check out the sign and the bushes at the end near the corner, this demonstrates the light profile above. You get this without excessive spill at the sides as you can see:
open dipped comparison.jpg
Last edited by DeanoC on Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

geoffdunk
3rd Gear

Re: Clear lenses and shutter mods on adaptive headlights

Post by geoffdunk » Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:53 pm

Interesting stuff, I have the adaptive lights and they have always been very good but if I can make them better then great, what part is the RV shield and how hard is it to remove?
MY2015 Audi RS4 Avant quattro, Panther Black Crystal, Black leather, Black inlays, 20" V-Spoke wheels

DeanoC
4th Gear

Post by DeanoC » Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:08 pm

geoffdunk wrote:Interesting stuff, I have the adaptive lights and they have always been very good but if I can make them better then great, what part is the RV shield and how hard is it to remove?
I have a full guide that explains it all but not sure how to post it.

The RV shield is the shiny bit stuck on the main shutter with RV on it:

It has a few aims. 1) to reduce the colour at the cut off, 2) to blur the cut-off so it is less distracting and 3) to make the gradient of the ECE beam pattern more shallow.

Problem is you lose some beam throw in the centre as in the pic above because the light that passes the shutter from the reflector in a downwards direction is blocked by the shield which is a bit further out. This downward light = upward light after it is flipped in the lens.

DeanoC
4th Gear

Post by DeanoC » Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:53 am

I've gone and got me a dropbox account so you can find the guide here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/0n0121j3ojwkw ... n.pdf?dl=0

geoffdunk
3rd Gear

Post by geoffdunk » Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:45 am

Great write up. Its a lot of work but sadly not something I'd attempt, but very interesting, cheers!
MY2015 Audi RS4 Avant quattro, Panther Black Crystal, Black leather, Black inlays, 20" V-Spoke wheels

Surrey Sam
Cruising

Post by Surrey Sam » Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:49 am

Not my type of mod, but that write up is of a very high calibre. Nice work.

I've asked the powers that be, to get this thread added into the FAQ sticky at the top.
Sepang Blue B8 RS4, MY14, All option packs, B&O, Adv Key, Adapt Cruise, Pan Roof, Akrapovic Titanium Exhaust, + more.
Previous - Sprint Blue B7 RS4 Avant, Ceramics, Sunroof, SS+, Buckets, FBSW, Bluetooth, 2010+ RNSe
Previous - Phantom Black B7 RS4 Avant, Black Optics, Titan pack, SS+, Buckets, FBSW

SteveShepherd
Neutral

Post by SteveShepherd » Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:03 pm

Looking forward to @Trups doing mine in a few weeks, he's getting pint done on the interior first and will swap over parts on the day
2013 RS4 Suzuka Grey

Return to “RS4 (B8 Typ 8K) 2012-2016”