Humming noise front passenger side

4.2 V8 32v FSI - 444 bhp
AFN380
Neutral

Humming noise front passenger side

Post by AFN380 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:29 pm

Hi guys,

I have noticed a humming/droning type sound coming from the front of the car. I can here it when the car is idling and also when the car is coming to a halt. When you are in the drivers seat it is not so noticeable but when in the front passenger seat it is clearly there.

Just wondering if anyone else is having the same issue or is this perfectly normal. It goes away when you accelerate but is there as you slow do or idle.

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers
Sepang Blue RS4

AFN380
Neutral

Re: Humming noise front passenger side

Post by AFN380 » Sat Oct 01, 2016 5:32 pm

car booked in to go back to Audi. The noise was so annoying today. Was stuck in traffic and I could hear it in the drivers seat. wife got a headache. Not happy so far with my new car. 25 days in and this will be the second time it is going to Audi. :(
Sepang Blue RS4

Fatneck73
4th Gear

Post by Fatneck73 » Sat Oct 01, 2016 5:34 pm

Ok not good. Best of luck.

Surrey Sam
Cruising

Post by Surrey Sam » Sat Oct 01, 2016 5:43 pm

Odd how it's appeared after having the nearside DRC pipe replaced by Audi. Perhaps something may have not been put back quite right?
Sepang Blue B8 RS4, MY14, All option packs, B&O, Adv Key, Adapt Cruise, Pan Roof, Akrapovic Titanium Exhaust, + more.
Previous - Sprint Blue B7 RS4 Avant, Ceramics, Sunroof, SS+, Buckets, FBSW, Bluetooth, 2010+ RNSe
Previous - Phantom Black B7 RS4 Avant, Black Optics, Titan pack, SS+, Buckets, FBSW

AFN380
Neutral

Post by AFN380 » Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:15 pm

This is what I have been thinking. The down side is they cannot fit me in for at least 2 weeks! As that's the earliest they can get me a car. Even without the car the were talking 10 days!
Sepang Blue RS4

Surrey Sam
Cruising

Post by Surrey Sam » Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:18 pm

Yes, this whole emissions scandal and their remedial work has really affected lead times for getting cars seen to. If you can replicate the fault easily, then you could call out Audi Roadside Assistance and they'll sort out a car but that's only for 48 hours. Thereafter the dealer who has the car, needs to sort something out and you might then find a car suddenly becomes available?
Sepang Blue B8 RS4, MY14, All option packs, B&O, Adv Key, Adapt Cruise, Pan Roof, Akrapovic Titanium Exhaust, + more.
Previous - Sprint Blue B7 RS4 Avant, Ceramics, Sunroof, SS+, Buckets, FBSW, Bluetooth, 2010+ RNSe
Previous - Phantom Black B7 RS4 Avant, Black Optics, Titan pack, SS+, Buckets, FBSW

AFN380
Neutral

Post by AFN380 » Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:47 pm

That's another option. I might look into that. I don't have to replicate the issue is is permanently there. I might try and go and see another rs4 at a local dealer to see if can her the same noise. I saw a thread on here and some said it was normal and other that it should go into Audi.

I have also contacted the dealer I have purchased the car from. Considering I have only had it a few weeks and multiple issues with it. They are going to dicuss this all on Monday. Sale director etc and I will also have a meeting with them. Will be Iver the phone as they are up north.
Sepang Blue RS4

Ian_C
Cruising

Post by Ian_C » Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:34 pm

Surrey Sam wrote:Yes, this whole emissions scandal and their remedial work has really affected lead times for getting cars seen to. If you can replicate the fault easily, then you could call out Audi Roadside Assistance and they'll sort out a car but that's only for 48 hours. Thereafter the dealer who has the car, needs to sort something out and you might then find a car suddenly becomes available?
Forgive my ignorance - and I'm probably stating the f*cking obvious here - in this situation, does the dealer not just pull a car from their used approved fleet? The 2014 Q5 you got last time would have just been a stock car from their car lot, surely?
B5 B6 B7 B9

AFN380
Neutral

Post by AFN380 » Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:06 pm

The Q5 came from a hire company. Audi assistance sorted that one out. I would have thought that they should do more. I spoke to the work Shop controller and he said that's the best he can do. At the time i just needed a date as was out with the family and kids needed my attention. I will probably call audi assits again tomorrow and see what can be done. Just very annoyed today and want this sorted.

Hopefully thing will get sorted over the next day or so and I will get it in earlier.
Sepang Blue RS4

Eddie555
Cruising

Post by Eddie555 » Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:11 pm

Ian_C wrote:
Surrey Sam wrote:Yes, this whole emissions scandal and their remedial work has really affected lead times for getting cars seen to. If you can replicate the fault easily, then you could call out Audi Roadside Assistance and they'll sort out a car but that's only for 48 hours. Thereafter the dealer who has the car, needs to sort something out and you might then find a car suddenly becomes available?
Forgive my ignorance - and I'm probably stating the f*cking obvious here - in this situation, does the dealer not just pull a car from their used approved fleet? The 2014 Q5 you got last time would have just been a stock car from their car lot, surely?
Generally speaking whenever my cars have been in to dealer I've always been given sales car or a Sales persons car. I've even had the dealer principal's once cause he was using a SQ5 and I wanted a play in one so they gave me his.
Current ride’s
Q7 Floret Silver Black Edition On 22’s (2018)
Renault Clio 172 Cup. (Babe the track pig)

Previous rides
SQ5 Glacier white( 2016 65reg)
RS6 avant C7 Daytona Grey 2015 facelift. The one I waved goodbye to!!
2013: Q7 3.0 tdi s/line plus ibis white (13reg)
2012: S5 cabriolet glacier white (62 reg)
2011: RS4 saloon B7. Avus (57 reg)

AFN380
Neutral

Post by AFN380 » Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:29 pm

This dealer never offers anything like that. They always say waiting on cars. I am going to give audi assistance a call tomorrow. I want this sorted before 2 weeks. They will sort something out. It's an issue that is there and can be heard. So they will come out. Will get it organised and then they can sort me a car. Once this is all resolved will look to move away from this dealer as have had issues there before. It's just that they are close to me and it's convenient.
Sepang Blue RS4

Surrey Sam
Cruising

Post by Surrey Sam » Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:40 pm

Ian_C wrote: Forgive my ignorance - and I'm probably stating the f*cking obvious here - in this situation, does the dealer not just pull a car from their used approved fleet?
Two separate cost centres of the dealership business model and the used fleet is also untaxed. I tried this route with my on-going gearbox saga.

Eddie555
Cruising

Post by Eddie555 » Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:00 pm

AFN380 wrote:This dealer never offers anything like that. They always say waiting on cars. I am going to give audi assistance a call tomorrow. I want this sorted before 2 weeks. They will sort something out. It's an issue that is there and can be heard. So they will come out. Will get it organised and then they can sort me a car. Once this is all resolved will look to move away from this dealer as have had issues there before. It's just that they are close to me and it's convenient.
Defo search for a new dealer. I live 5 mins from Birmingham Audi and they are as arrogant as they come. So I travel 20 miles and 40 mins just to go to Stratford upon Avon for a Kiss ass service. Everyone from top to bottom are excellent at Stratford.
Current ride’s
Q7 Floret Silver Black Edition On 22’s (2018)
Renault Clio 172 Cup. (Babe the track pig)

Previous rides
SQ5 Glacier white( 2016 65reg)
RS6 avant C7 Daytona Grey 2015 facelift. The one I waved goodbye to!!
2013: Q7 3.0 tdi s/line plus ibis white (13reg)
2012: S5 cabriolet glacier white (62 reg)
2011: RS4 saloon B7. Avus (57 reg)

Ian_C
Cruising

Post by Ian_C » Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:44 pm

Surrey Sam wrote:
Ian_C wrote: Forgive my ignorance - and I'm probably stating the f*cking obvious here - in this situation, does the dealer not just pull a car from their used approved fleet?
Two separate cost centres of the dealership business model and the used fleet is also untaxed. I tried this route with my on-going gearbox saga.
Good point on the two different halves of the business - and yes I didn't consider the tax issue - doh, you need trade plates to take a test drive! It *could* be done if absolutely necessary though

(or more likely as Eddie suggests, rather than the customer take home a used approved stock car, one of the 'management' employees at the dealer gives up their pool car to the customer, and said employee takes home a used approved stock car sporting trade plates instead)
B5 B6 B7 B9

Acprc
2nd Gear

Post by Acprc » Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:28 am

Find a new dealer would be my advice. Easier said than done but service really does vary. Peterborough Audi who are near me are awful yet Huntingdon Audi always make me feel like a king. Never have a problem with a courtesy car and like others have mentioned I have had staff members cars before. I should note that I don't always expect an S or RS model though and would be happy with an A4 or A6.
2014 Audi RS4 Avant Viper Green "The Hulk" ● BMC Filters ● 034 Motorsport gearbox mount ●
2014 Audi S1 Mythos Black "Fuzz" ● Revo Induction ● BMC Filter ●
1995 Land Rover Discovery 300TDI "Gunbus" ● Under Restoration to original OEM Condition ●

Return to “RS4 (B8 Typ 8K) 2012-2016”