Gearbox oil level

4.2 V8 32v FSI - 444 bhp
richrocksmy

Gearbox oil level

Post by richrocksmy » Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:34 pm

Hey chaps,

Have had my RS from new for about a year now and has had a few issues...most recent is a gearbox problem. Driving along in a pretty relaxed fashion and the gearbox malfunction warning popped up saying I could continue to drive but there was no reverse gear. Took it in to my local Audi who have told me the gearbox oil is low. They've apparently pressure tested the box and there's no leaks. Where has the oil gone?? Is this a usual thing for the S-Tronic (the car has done under 10k miles) or should I be worried...?

Noyjatat
Top Gear

Re: Gearbox oil level

Post by Noyjatat » Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:01 pm

Sounds like you have a sensor fault on the mechatronics unit. If it is under warranty keep chasing it as a new one is around 5k fitted. Audi just replace they don't generally repair the mechatronic, if not under warranty there are companies who may be able to fix it for around 1k but I haven't used any of them. There's plenty of info on the faults on the s S-tronic gearboxes if you need more Google is your friend. Vagcom should give you a fault code and a G code so you know which sensor it is but all are labour intensive.

richrocksmy

Post by richrocksmy » Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:49 pm

Forgot to mention that the fault cleared itself after I restarted the car and haven't seen it since. Just got it back from the dealers and they said the oil level is low - it has its first service booked for a month's hence so will get them to check to box again then.

Cheers for the info!

Geoff A
2nd Gear

Post by Geoff A » Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:09 pm

I would hope they topped it up.......

richrocksmy

Post by richrocksmy » Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:52 pm

Hah, yeah indeed they did. That'd be pretty spectacular if not. Saying that, it took them three days to figure out the level was low...

Noyjatat
Top Gear

Post by Noyjatat » Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:27 am

Glad to hear it was a cheap fix.

Return to “RS4 (B8 Typ 8K) 2012-2016”