DRC noise under normal operation

4.2 V8 32v FSI - 444 bhp
Graeme4130
Cruising

Re: DRC noise under normal operation

Post by Graeme4130 » Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:56 pm

I've been lucky in that both my B8's have been largely without knocking, as it would p1ss me off to the point of chopping it in
Not all cars have these symptoms, so hopefully Audi will get it sorted for the next range
FWIW, when I replace my B8 for a C7 RS6 next year, I'll go air-ride as that's a decent package without the worry
-------------------------------------------------------
Gone - 11/06 B7 RS4 Avant - black/black (Daily drive & kids taxi)
Gone - 05/13 B8 RS4 Avant - Suzuka grey (Daily drive & kids taxi)
Gone - 01/14 B8 RS5 Coupe - Short term car
Gone - 09/14 B8 RS4 Avant - Misano Red/Ceramics (Daily drive & kids taxi)

Current - 04/18 B9 Rs4 Nardo Grey
ZX10R Race bike - 210bhp and a few skid marks on the seat ;)

carsarecool
4th Gear

Post by carsarecool » Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:03 pm

RossDagley wrote:
carsarecool wrote:At last, sensible comments. Suspension will never be silent. I think you are either tuned into the noise or not.
You've clearly never been in a car with a DRC knock. It's not exactly subtle. It's like someone using a mallet on the inner wheel arch. It is NOT like the noise you'd associate with a pot hole, nor like the noise you'd accept/expect from an old and used cheap vw...

Ross, I've not had what you've described Re: Mallet so clearly I haven't got DRC issues, happy days :jump_clap: Also, the Golf isn't old, it's not very used and wasn't particularly cheap. Like the RS4, with music off, you can hear the suspension working over bumps and, as previously stated, it's not THAT noisy in the VW. I simply used it as comparison which got translated in to it's the same noise and unacceptable in an Audi.......which in reality is only an expensive VW brand. :audibash:

I shall refrain in future as I am obviously not worthy of observational comment :bowdown:

johnnydog
3rd Gear

Post by johnnydog » Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:32 pm

I know this has been said plenty of times, but if you haven't heard a DRC knock, it's difficult to accurately describe it -everyone's perception of a noise is different. But when my wife, who doesn't know the front end from the back end of a car except how to drive one, says, 'What's that noise?' on her first outing in it, can anyone argue that it is a noise that is acceptable from the suspension of any car, let alone, in my case, a 71k car? The DRC is a superbly designed suspension system giving fantastic cornering capabilities, but severely flawed by this disappointing symptom / characteristic? on the rebound over the most relative small depressions in the road surface, such as a slightly sunken manhole or drain cover.
What I can't get my head round is with it being a diagonally opposed system, why are the majority of symptoms reported as coming mainly from the front offside?

ARSEY4
5th Gear

Post by ARSEY4 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:09 pm

In my personal experience there are two types of knocks.

Cold clunk - regarded by Audi as normal. This seems to be the inability of the suspension to rebound quick enough over a pot hole/imperfection in the road and is effectively the noise of the suspension dropping off the edge of the bump as its not been absorbed quick enough. I'm no expert but that's what mine felt like.
The full on "My DRC is fucked" - This is the constant knocking over any undulating surface, normally when the car is at full operating temperature and when the suspension is under increased load i.e. when braking.

So just factor that in when bitching as some may have experienced the same two types of DRC noise. :wink:

PetrolDave
Cruising

Post by PetrolDave » Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:18 pm

ARSEY4 wrote:In my personal experience there are two types of knocks.

Cold clunk - regarded by Audi as normal. This seems to be the inability of the suspension to rebound quick enough over a pot hole/imperfection in the road and is effectively the noise of the suspension dropping off the edge of the bump as its not been absorbed quick enough. I'm no expert but that's what mine felt like.
The full on "My DRC is fucked" - This is the constant knocking over any undulating surface, normally when the car is at full operating temperature and when the suspension is under increased load i.e. when braking.

So just factor that in when bitching as some may have experienced the same two types of DRC noise. :wink:
Add the third category when the DRC valve block is knackered when even the slightest ripple in the road sets off a loud rattle from underneath the front seats (where the DRC valve block is located).
Gone: 2006 B7 RS4 Avant (Phantom Black)

benfj180
Neutral

Post by benfj180 » Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:08 pm

benfj180 wrote:Complaint to Audi formulated last night and sent today (2 pages of A4).........will report back with comments from Audi.

For those who want to complain about the DRC noise or tail pipes (sub standard pressed metal inserts in rear bumper) please direct all "fury" :rant: to customer.services@audi.co.uk. :audibash:
Chaps,

I thought I would give an update to my tail pipes and DRC on my B8 RS4.

As I said previously, wrote letter of complaint to Audi UK.

There response has been superb.

Tail pipes replaced under "good will" from Teesside Audi.......happy. :jump_clap:

Knock seem to be much, much better since a full repressurisation of the system.......it still knocks now and again but no where near like it used to. I am happy with the results.......im still persuing them to do something about it but tiny steps and all that........ :biggrin3:

Going back to Audi Teesside in the new year to verify pressures have not dropped. 20Bar

I advise all of you not happy with dealership responses to complain to Audi UK.......it has worked for me.

To be fair, this is the response I should of got from the dealership in the first instance, but sometimes I suppose they need a good kick in the ar*e to get them to do the job!

Car now is mint! :kissmyrings:

RossDagley
Top Gear

Post by RossDagley » Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:45 pm

After my complaint to Audi UK, they are now replacing OSF shock as 'goodwill' in Jan. They're aware of the problem, but more people need to complain about it. Like the B7, we were fobbed off with 'characteristic' until enough people complained and then it was seen as a genuine issue. The same needs to happen with the B8.

I can only pray the replacement shock fixes it.
Believe only the man who has nothing to gain from what he says.

2017 BMW M4 Competition Pack - Mineral Grey - 530ps by bootmod3, JCWeldfab exhaust.
Previously:
Renault Megane R26 - Liquid Yellow - 275ps.
2015 Audi Exclusive RS4 B8 - Merlin Purple - JCWF Exhaust
2009 Audi RS6 C6 - Phantom Black - 730ps MRC Tuned
2008 Audi RS4 B7 - Phantom Black - 449ps MRC Tuned
2002 Peugeot 106 Gti - Mauritius blue - 430ps Home built.

benfj180
Neutral

Post by benfj180 » Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:36 pm

Totally agree......knocking aint right!

Did they check the pressure in the system of yours?

Have they since re-pressurised?

Im treating my new tail pipe trims as a bonus!

RossDagley
Top Gear

Post by RossDagley » Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:48 pm

benfj180 wrote:Totally agree......knocking aint right!

Did they check the pressure in the system of yours?

Have they since re-pressurised?

Im treating my new tail pipe trims as a bonus!
Yes it's been repressurised (by Hitchin Audi as goodwill simply because I'm a long term customer). Bedford Audi (the supplying dealer) washed their hands of it long ago. Absolute tossers.

I've negotiated with Audi UK that Hitchin will carry out any further remedial work as I'd rather crap in my hands and clap than go back to Bedford. I should have learnt my lesson years ago on the first bad experience... :(

2017 BMW M4 Competition Pack - Mineral Grey - 530ps by bootmod3, JCWeldfab exhaust.
Previously:

johnnydog
3rd Gear

Post by johnnydog » Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:13 pm

Ross, can you post the result of your DRC issue when the fos shock gets replaced - I'm sure there are a few of us eagerly awaiting the outcome (I am, for one...)

RossDagley
Top Gear

Post by RossDagley » Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:24 pm

Coincidence you should ask that today.

Got the car back tonight and it's utterly transformed. Honestly it's like it should always have been. Completely resolved. It's early days of course as its only got 25 miles on the new shock but I've tried to get it to knock and it won't - even in comfort mode over bumps that would knock your teeth out normally.

Car is smooth as silk and everything feels taught and new. It was dark when I collected the car and it could almost be that someone swapped my number plates on to a different car it's that much better. The whole front end feels like new. I didn't realise how bad it was!

On one hand I'm very pleased. On the other, incredibly frustrated I've had to fight this for 6 months solidly, escalating to the higher echelons of Audi customer care with formal complaints and threats of rejection... And even more angry with Bedford Audis handling of it all. Hitchin on the other hand have been exceptional.

All this stress for £700 of work. HOPEFULLY it's finally resolved.

Previously:

johnnydog
3rd Gear

Post by johnnydog » Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:30 pm

Good news Ross. What exactly did they do? Just replace the fos shock, and re-pressurise, or have they done more?

RossDagley
Top Gear

Post by RossDagley » Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:40 pm

johnnydog wrote:Good news Ross. What exactly did they do? Just replace the fos shock, and re-pressurise, or have they done more?
Nope that's all they've done to my knowledge.

Previously:

danmorley
Neutral

Post by danmorley » Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:04 pm

I posted this in another thread also.
Took mine into Audi for the 2nd time last week.
1st time I was told the front drivers side clunk was normal, the steering fault light was on also, so they ended up replacing the whole rack assembly.
So the 2nd time I left it with them, they called me and said they have found a suspension fault, great I thought, I told you so.
Went to collect the car and they found the front near side shock was leaking, OH NO, that won't fix the clunk, so they replaced it and recharged the system to 20 bar.
I have to be honest, the car drives loads better, tighter, even the ride height feels slightly higher.
BUT... I still have the annoying clunk coming from the front drivers side !!!!

RS4 DRC 48000m October 2013 :audibash:

Palmball
Neutral

Post by Palmball » Sun Mar 27, 2016 4:03 pm

Guys, can you tell me how bad this noise is when the DRC isn't work right?

My 2015 car has a slight but definite clonking/knocking sound over sharp bumps from the front drivers side. It's not what I'd call loud and tends to do it only over sharper bumps; in fact, it just sounds like noisy suspension like you'd get in a 20 year old car (a bit like something's a bit loose) and it's certainly noisier than I've been used to in other cars.

My dealer has 'recharged' the DRC system and says everything is in order, but I'm not so sure - I'm trying to work out whether it's just how the RS4 is, or whether I need to push the issue further?

In fact, what is this DRC system and how does it differ from other cars with adaptive dampers (I'm struggling to visualise what they have recharged!)?
Andrew

Current: '16 Audi R8 V10+ | '15 Audi RS4 Avant
Previous: '15 Merc AMG GT S | '15 Merc GLE63S Coupe | '14 Merc E63 S AMG | '11 Merc SLS AMG | '13 Merc ML63 | '14 BMW M3 F80 | '13 BMW M6 F13 | '11 Merc SLS AMG | '13 Merc E350 CDI | '12 Jag XKR-S | '10 Range Rover Sport | '10 Jag XFR | '11 BMW M3 DCT | '08 Maserati Granturismo S | '10 Porsche 911 Turbo | '10 Merc C63 AMG PPP | '06 BMW M6 | '08 BMW M3 e92

Return to “RS4 (B8 Typ 8K) 2012-2016”