Winter Tyres or Chains for a Roadtrip to Switzerland..video

4.2 V8 32v FSI - 444 bhp
carsarecool
4th Gear

Winter Tyres or Chains for a Roadtrip to Switzerland..video

Post by carsarecool » Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:37 pm

Hi,

I've read many threads on winter tyres and done some reasearch but I have a dilemma.

I am going to Switzerland skiing in Feb and I've decided I am going to drive......I've always fancied a road trip but previously done nothing more than Scotland before. Having briefly looked into it I need to sort winter tyres or chains/socks for the drive up the hill, or more importantly, down the hill.

The questions I have are:

1. £1-2k for spare set of wheels/tyres - how long do winters last?
2. Chains - will they damage my Vs.
3. Snow "socks" are they legal in Europe?
4. Should I just grow sum and not worry?

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by carsarecool on Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

doodlebug
Cruising

Re: Winter Tyres or Chains for a Roadtrip to Switzerland..

Post by doodlebug » Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:43 pm

Winter tyres and chains. You'll only know whether they foul the rim if you try some. V-spokes are quite proud.

Snotsicle
2nd Gear

Post by Snotsicle » Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:05 pm

Tyres. You'll never look back having tried them, even for UK winters. Every mile you put on them is one less on your summer set.

The French and Swiss rozzers take a very dim view of people trying to get up mountain passes without either chains or proper winter tyres (bearing the mountain/snowflake symbol) and are likely to make you turn around & go back down if they catch you half way up.

AFAIK, the "socks" don't count as chains.
Akoya Silver '03 B6 A4 Avant 3.0 Quattro Tip
Ming Blue '99 B5 A4 Avant 2.8 Quattro Tip
Laser Red '97 8L A3 3dr 1.8T
Assorted junk too embarrassing to list

smudge
4th Gear

Post by smudge » Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:58 pm

Maybe see if Reading Audi can fit a set of these for you:

It's all torque talk.

carsarecool
4th Gear

Post by carsarecool » Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:06 pm

Nice Smudge.......who needs roads.

carsarecool
4th Gear

Post by carsarecool » Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:28 pm

Anyone lend/rent me some chains for 1st week of Feb? 20" Vs

Graeme4130
Cruising

Post by Graeme4130 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:43 pm

Having been in the Swiss alps during ski season, I can say you'll not get anywhere without at least winter tyres, and as said above, the police will turn you around if they catch you
Snow socks are actually very good, but you need to potter around slowly with them and they shouldn't damage your wheels
-------------------------------------------------------
Gone - 11/06 B7 RS4 Avant - black/black (Daily drive & kids taxi)
Gone - 05/13 B8 RS4 Avant - Suzuka grey (Daily drive & kids taxi)
Gone - 01/14 B8 RS5 Coupe - Short term car
Gone - 09/14 B8 RS4 Avant - Misano Red/Ceramics (Daily drive & kids taxi)

Current - 04/18 B9 Rs4 Nardo Grey
ZX10R Race bike - 210bhp and a few skid marks on the seat ;)

Revolution
Trader (Expired)

Post by Revolution » Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:17 pm

winter tyres - they are amazing, got mine on order for driving in the UK....really make a difference when the temps dip below 7degs when summer tyres just go hard and winters have integral sipes to grip the snow and ice for amazing traction....

Audi quattro will give you traction but really bad in emergency stops, winter tyres do all that plus control and traction of side roads is utterly amazing!

you will get a fine or even car impounded if you get stopped in the mountains with standard tyres on - they dont mess about

stick them on now and remove next spring - as someone said, once you try them you will never go back!

Driven with and without them in the UK and been on a winter test day with vredestein this year, i think they should be law in the uk and you would have no crazy days when we get an
inch of snow..people would just get on with it, you will never get stuck yourself or worst still get stuck behind another car on a side road, just trundle passed them and away..

PM us if you want some prices..
http://www.revolution247.com

2016 RS3
2018 VW Tiguan
2010 Smart fourtwo

Sold but never forgotten:
2014 RS4 Sepang Blue
2015 VW Golf-R
1995 Subaru Impreza Series McRae
2012 RS3 Sepang Blue
RS4 B7 Avant Daytona
2002 Renault Avantime V6
2006 2-door Impreza STi
2009 TT TDi Quattro
10 Subaru's inc 22B type UK
Renault Clio V6 MK2
Civic Type-R's Mk1, 2 and 3
Renault Spider, Lotus Exige MK1
Renault Clio 197, Renault Clio Williams MK1
205 GTi 1.6 & 1.9 Gutmann

TGJR
Neutral

Post by TGJR » Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:51 pm

I also drive to ski resorts and would only do so with winter tyres. Occasionally the roads are clear and dry all the way up and you think "why did I bother" but the odd time I have hit proper snow packed roads I would not want to be on a set of wide, low profile summer tyres. Coming down hills is the worst as you have plenty of momentum but zero control......ouch!

Never tried snow socks and only used chains on a Merc ML which had plenty of clearance. I'll be going this season in my RS4 to the Alps with a set of winter tyres and some chains in the boot just in case there is severe weather up the mountain but hopefully won't need put them on.

stu
5th Gear

Post by stu » Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:05 pm

Can't really comment on the OP's question but I thought I'd chip in about the snow socks - they're really good! I used them on my crappy Ibiza to get through some really tracked compacted snow. They got pretty frayed after driving on tarmac + hard flat ice - my fault. A great emergency tool for front or rear drive cars.

Get winter tyres. I've had vreds and now pirelli sottozeros - the priellis cost an arm and a leg but performance wise in dry cold roads they are superb. Still think the vreds were better when the actual snow came along.

MK2Golf24v
2nd Gear

Post by MK2Golf24v » Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:07 pm

20" winters can be had for under £250 a tyre. Its a no brainer.

Ricky
2nd Gear

Post by Ricky » Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:33 pm

Never driven on chains but I'd image over a distance you would get tired of them. Do have experience of winter tyres though, and can't remecommend them highly enough. Go for it and you won't be disappointed.

In fact I remember watching something on TV and the concenous was that if you were only going to use one type of tyre all year round, it was better to use a winter tyre all year.

So another vote for a good quality winter tyre !!!!!
Current: 2014 Sepang Blue B8 RS4
Previous : B7 RS4
Previous : Subaru 22B UK
Previous : Subaru Sti Type UK
Previous : VW Golf GTD

adsgreen
Cruising

Post by adsgreen » Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:40 pm

Apparently legal to use snow socks
http://www.autosock.co.uk/faqs/

Worth grabbing the Sticker for france too as it al helps.

I've had a set on wifes car and they are bloody amazing. On a Mini cooper S (with some extra grunt) and fitted to the front wheels on deep snow it didn't even bother the traction control system and never kicked in. A full emergency stop test was effective too in terms of stopping and control.
Finally, I stopped whilst going up a hill where a land rover defender had got stuck and asked if they needed some help.
"No." was the only word whilst looking at the car with Stickers, fog lights and stripes.
So shrugged and simply pulled away up hill with no drama.

carsarecool
4th Gear

Post by carsarecool » Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:57 pm

adsgreen wrote:Apparently legal to use snow socks
http://www.autosock.co.uk/faqs/

Worth grabbing the sticker for france too as it al helps.

I've had a set on wifes car and they are bloody amazing. On a Mini cooper S (with some extra grunt) and fitted to the front wheels on deep snow it didn't even bother the traction control system and never kicked in. A full emergency stop test was effective too in terms of stopping and control.
Finally, I stopped whilst going up a hill where a land rover defender had got stuck and asked if they needed some help.
"No." was the only word whilst looking at the car with stickers, fog lights and stripes.
So shrugged and simply pulled away up hill with no drama.

Thanks. I've spoken to a snow chain rental company who recommended that, to check for clearance, you put your hands into the wheel arch and over the back of the tyre and if there is enough room to move your fingers from 9-3 o'clock over the back edge of the tyre then 9mm chains will fit.

I just went to try and I can't get my hands in-between the wheel arch and tyres!!!! This would also be a problem when fitting socks.

However, I have 10mm spacers so I guess that would create 10mm clearance between wheel and inside of car? But this then begs the question will they rub on the wheel arch instead?

F*** it! I might just fly instead :)

adsgreen
Cruising

Post by adsgreen » Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:28 pm

Socks are a lot easier to put on even with a narrow gap.
What I used was a brush/ice scraper to ease the socks on. You only have to get them close and they snap into place and are self adjusting.
Failing that you can get the socks over the wheels as far as possible then whilst holding in place pull the elastic taught over the face of the alloy and move up. It can spring enough to then pull from the other side.
Jeez that's a <beep> explanation!

Return to “RS4 (B8 Typ 8K) 2012-2016”