OEM Sports Exhaust vs Milltek Non-Resonated**Updated**

4.2 V8 32v FSI - 444 bhp
carsarecool
4th Gear

OEM Sports Exhaust vs Milltek Non-Resonated**Updated**

Post by carsarecool » Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:33 am

I had a non-res Milltek fitted on Monday so I thought I'd grab some soundbites of the OEM before it went and then do the same when the new one is fitted. I struggled to find good quality sound clips to listen to when I was waiting for my car to be built.

Here you go.

Part 1:

http://youtu.be/hTkLlsjOrB0

Part 2:

So, post fitment I thought I'd post a video (not great as hard to get decent sound at speed) and write my thoughts on the Milltek non-resonated system.

Firstly, I decided to go for the non-resonated system as I was under-whelmed by the OEM Sports Exhaust system. As part of the "Sports Pack" it was not a huge investment but if I'd paid £890 I would be mightily pi$$ed off.

I was told the Resonated System was very similar to the OEM Sports hence my decision to go non-resonated. My first impressions are it's Jekyll and Hyde vs the OEM where you could barely tell the difference to flaps closed or open. It's effing loud when the flaps are open. With the flaps closed it sounds very, very nice with a crisp metallic sound at both a low and high speeds. Once in "Sport" mode (flaps open) it becomes quite obnoxious and at low speeds/revs it can be quite boomy at certain speed/revs but at speed it sounds the nuts with either windows up or down.

I've had to play around with the Drive Select as, with the OEM system, I'd always immediately click back to "S" mode to get the louder setting. With Drive Select set to Dynamic for "Engine Sound" switching between S and D would leave the OEM system in loud mode. With the Milltek this is a bit of problem as the loud setting isn't really suitable for everyday use. The compromise I've found is that you have to have Engine Sound and Engine/Gearbox set to "Auto". This means in D the exhaust stays in quiet mode most of the time unless you give it the beans and the flaps open. In S the flaps are open all the time but switch back to D and it goes back to quiet mode.

In both modes the downshifts sound great although they do grab attention from pedestrians.

On start up, which with the OEM system was a great sound for the first 20-30 seconds, it's quite noisy but after the 20-30 secs it quietens down.

Over all I am very happy with the ability to have more noise during everyday driving and also the option to be a bit more obnoxious when in the mood. On the day I had it fitted, whilst going through a load of traffic lights a guy in a red Galladro Spider pulled up next to me and commented on how good it sounded...as he then proceeded to speed off making more (lovely) noise.

The video below was taken when in "Auto" so it switches back and forth from open/closed flaps.

Enjoy

http://youtu.be/w0zG-wAcsQ4?list=UUXBKC ... Zekdxjbzpw - best bits towards the end of the video.
Last edited by carsarecool on Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RIV
Cruising

Re: OEM Sports Exhaust vs Milltek Non-Resonated

Post by RIV » Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:57 am

Sounds good BUT!!! Does it drone in the cabin, if so I'm not going down that road again, loved my non res on the b7
But don't want to have to drive round the drone in my new one

smudge
4th Gear

Post by smudge » Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:15 pm

It does sound good & it would be interesting to hear it along side the Capristo on mine.

Out of interest, how's the camera? I had exactly the same happen on Sunday with mine. It was fine until 2 people ran it over. Luckily just case & mount were damaged, the camera is still in perfect condition.....
It's all torque talk.

Outtlaw
5th Gear

Post by Outtlaw » Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:06 pm

Sounds great, but i thought that the first video with the OEM exhaust sounded good too! So in reality i bet the Milltek is a lot louder?
Also found the camera falling off quite funny, i was expecting something else.

carsarecool
4th Gear

Post by carsarecool » Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:03 pm

response in order:

There is drone but only when it in loud mode and speed is constant. As I found out on Monday, motorway and loud mode don't mix....unless you want to make people jump. I've been in and out of the car today and it's been in quiet mode all the time and sounds great and pretty unobtrusive. On first drive after fitment I did think "what the f**k have I done but in hindsight that was panic. The standard sound rely suits the car and sounds as I would expect....the loud sound is just that..obnoxiously loud. All in all it delivers what I wanted.....but it will be in quiet mode more often than not.

I have a Hero3 and Hero3+ (have this as my Hero3 locked up when I went skiing and needed to by another) and the Hero3 was slated for its fiddly clasp on the clear plastic housing. The Hero3+ does away with the fiddly clasp but that was the one which fell off. The camera managed to free itself from the clear outer casing and travel across the road. Amazingly the case is only slightly marked and the camera itself has a few scrapes but the lens is fine.

The Milltek is way louder than the OEM Sports - quite different in sound too.

matthew.lewis2
3rd Gear

Post by matthew.lewis2 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:36 pm

Thanks for posting the milltek videos, I was on the cusp of ordering a Capristo, but hearing the milltek I prefer its deeper tone.

Milltek do two different non-res systems, Has your system got the resonated or non-resonated down pipes in addition to the non-res centre section.
UAE CARS
2009 Toyota Landcruiser - White -4.7 V8 VXR (SOLD)
2014 Mercedes ML500 - 4.7 V8 Twin Turbo (SOLD)
2008 Audi RS4 - Sprint Blue (SOLD)
2002 Range Rover 4.6 V8 HSE (SOLD)
2007 Golf R32 - Black (SOLD)
2005 Lincoln Navigator - White (SOLD)

UK Cars
2015 Landrover Defender 110 Heritage (SOLD)
2014 Audi RS4 - Sepang Blue (STOLEN)
2003 EP3 Civic Type R - K-Pro Remapped (SOLD)
2004 Golf GT TDi 140 - Superchipped to 189bhp (SOLD)
2003 Audi A2 1.4 Tdi

carsarecool
4th Gear

Post by carsarecool » Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:21 am

matthew.lewis2 wrote:Thanks for posting the milltek videos, I was on the cusp of ordering a Capristo, but hearing the milltek I prefer its deeper tone.

Milltek do two different non-res systems, Has your system got the resonated or non-resonated down pipes in addition to the non-res centre section.
I had the same dilemma as Milltek offer three systems on their website. If you look on their website the have the EC-Approved resonated system, then a non-resonated and then another non-resonated system. I spoke to Lee at Milltek and he clarified that the third system wasn't readily available in the UK (as extremely loud) so it's the second system you want.

Talk to Little Glen at Revolution.

matthew.lewis2
3rd Gear

Post by matthew.lewis2 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:35 am

Carsarecool, thanks for the clarification, much appreciated.

I dropped Glenn an email last night ;)
UAE CARS
2009 Toyota Landcruiser - White -4.7 V8 VXR (SOLD)
2014 Mercedes ML500 - 4.7 V8 Twin Turbo (SOLD)
2008 Audi RS4 - Sprint Blue (SOLD)
2002 Range Rover 4.6 V8 HSE (SOLD)
2007 Golf R32 - Black (SOLD)
2005 Lincoln Navigator - White (SOLD)

UK Cars
2015 Landrover Defender 110 Heritage (SOLD)
2014 Audi RS4 - Sepang Blue (STOLEN)
2003 EP3 Civic Type R - K-Pro Remapped (SOLD)
2004 Golf GT TDi 140 - Superchipped to 189bhp (SOLD)
2003 Audi A2 1.4 Tdi

Macdaddy
4th Gear

Post by Macdaddy » Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:06 am

Despite what Milltek said wouldn't resonated then be the better option for you?

Don't get me wrong I love the sound of a non res V8 but towards the end of B7 ownership my non res Blueflame grated a little for being so loud. (not switchable though)

Might be worth finding someone with a resonated system and having a drive out.

Sounds epic though :sekret:
B7 RS4 Cabriolet with custom Blueflame - Gone
Misano red RS3 running Stage 1 APR - Gone
Sepang B8 RS4 with buckets - Gone
Panther Black C7 RS6 - Current Daily

Rutters4
Neutral

Post by Rutters4 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:17 pm

Your car was looking,(and sounding!) good at the Shell garage earlier.

Any highlights at the FOS...?

carsarecool
4th Gear

OEM Sports Exhaust vs Milltek Non-Resonated

Post by carsarecool » Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:33 pm

Hi mate,

The EuroFighter did it for me.

Have you at least doubled your milage?

The Jaguar 7 was cool too.

You?

(And was underwhelmed by the Nogaro RS4, the paint work was fooked as being perpetually polished by cleaning team)

Rutters4
Neutral

Post by Rutters4 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:33 pm

JPS Lotus 77
Jag P 7
La Ferrari's
Lancia Delta S4

Missed the Eurofighter, had to leave about half twelve. Gutted.

Agree about the Noggy RS4, paint looked flat and definitely didn't show off the B8's curves. Interiors not to my taste either, (my 18 month loved it though!).

Mileage doubled, shame most of it was at snails pace...

RIV
Cruising

Post by RIV » Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:51 pm

TBH if I change my system, I would most likely go down the custom route this time
http://www.jcweldfab.co.uk/

neilparf
Cruising

Post by neilparf » Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:41 pm

RIV wrote:TBH if I change my system, I would most likely go down the custom route this time
http://www.jcweldfab.co.uk/
Now that makes sense! :thumbs:
Gone but never forgotten:
2007 RS4 B7 Saloon, Metallic Silver with SS+.
LED's all round and Dectane LED tailights. KDS detail and paint. Lepsons black chrome, heavy on the silver wheels. JCWeldFab full system - valved and no pre-cats. MRC stage 2, de-flap and full carbon clean - 438PS and 489NM. HEL brake lines. H&R Spacers. Gtechniq C1 and EXO V2 coatings. 2010+ RNS-E. On the MRC dyno: http://youtu.be/y_k0VJ2--y8

carsarecool
4th Gear

Post by carsarecool » Sat Jun 28, 2014 2:58 am

Apparently, they took 27 orders/letters of intent for the Jag Project 7 yesterday and today.....they are only making 40.

Red arrows were awesome too.

Return to “RS4 (B8 Typ 8K) 2012-2016”