OEM Sports Exhaust vs Milltek Non-Resonated**Updated**

4.2 V8 32v FSI - 444 bhp
Thundercliffe81
3rd Gear

Re: OEM Sports Exhaust vs Milltek Non-Resonated**Updated**

Post by Thundercliffe81 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:40 pm

Surrey Sam wrote:I've said it to a few people now that unless you want an ASBO exhaust, the Non Res is too much. Revolutions suggestion would seem about right, get the resonated centre section and you'll then go back to using the exhaust valve system the way it should be. Which is to open it up, rather than throttle back something that is too much.

I can't comment on deleting the downpipe resonators but it's currently on my own radar. I quite like the idea of the JHM ones but Miltek is far cheaper, Supersprint also have some. Sport Cats would be an engine drop situation, as they're tucked up right into the exhaust manifold. So I think the advice there from Revolution was a bit off and they perhaps were thinking more for a B7 RS4 rather than B8.
Yeah.

Sports cat is still legal right? 'Just'? De cat (complete) is not? That's what MRC website leads me to believe anyway.

I've ordered the resonator and will be fitting in a week or so. Really appreciate you guys getting back to me on this. I guess it was a bit of common sense but good to gauge from people who have more knowledge.

ASBO...hard to argue that in all honesty. Well. I'll be selling the Center silencer replacement piping on here soon haha. @no_idea called my bluff! Image

Drove to Scottish highlands yesterday and just found myself backing off, trying not to go over 3500rpm. Which is just plain wrong. And the drone got worse the hotter it got too. Even in comfort.

I just hope I can still have that low end rumble and excitement with fitting this Res part.

Cheers guys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Surrey Sam
Cruising

Post by Surrey Sam » Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:46 pm

With the centre resonator section fitted, I'm sure you can still have that low down grumble with valves open. It should just be quieter around town and less raucous at the top end.

Providing there's a Catalytic Converter fitted and the car passes the MOT emissions test, the car will be legal with Sport Cats. The trouble is replacing them, they're part of the exhaust manifold and the engine has to be dropped/lifted to gain access. I had a good look around when my engine was replaced :nodder:

click image to enlarge
RS4Cat.jpg
RS4 Cat
Sepang Blue B8 RS4, MY14, All option packs, B&O, Adv Key, Adapt Cruise, Pan Roof, Akrapovic Titanium Exhaust, + more.
Previous - Sprint Blue B7 RS4 Avant, Ceramics, Sunroof, SS+, Buckets, FBSW, Bluetooth, 2010+ RNSe
Previous - Phantom Black B7 RS4 Avant, Black Optics, Titan pack, SS+, Buckets, FBSW

Thundercliffe81
3rd Gear

Post by Thundercliffe81 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:31 pm

Surrey Sam wrote:With the centre resonator section fitted, I'm sure you can still have that low down grumble with valves open. It should just be quieter around town and less raucous at the top end.

Providing there's a Catalytic Converter fitted and the car passes the MOT emissions test, the car will be legal with Sport Cats. The trouble is replacing them, they're part of the exhaust manifold and the engine has to be dropped/lifted to gain access. I had a good look around when my engine was replaced :nodder:

click image to enlarge
RS4Cat.jpg
Look at that beast in all it's glory Image

Yeah they're pretty high up. I was wondering why MRC were charging so much for that. Can't seem to find pricing on the sports cats. Any ideas? Milltek only showing the 3 full systems. Would they mate ok with your Akra?

Thundercliffe81
3rd Gear

Post by Thundercliffe81 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:51 pm

Right.

I feel I am now an expert for this thread haha.

So, for anybody asking "What is the difference between Milltek Res and Non Res (resonated downpipes)?", here is my bottom line opinion:

Resonated

- Marginally louder than Stock factory Sports Exhaust. In all respects

- Won't drone in comfort at all from my experience at all speeds up to 70mph

- Valves open is louder than stock but the boom/drone up to 2200rpm is very difficult to drive round day to day just pootling about

- Good crossover volume from closed to open if you boot it. Quite seemless actually

Non Resonated

-Flipping brilliant!

-Driving around valves closed, it brings the engine to life and has very audible low end grumble and very throaty as you move through the gears

-Sounds as above and still relatively civilised up to 3400rpm

-You 'cannot' drive around day to day, going to get your milk or whatever with valves open. If you say you can, I suggest an appointment at your nearest medical centre. The boom. Oh, the boom is horrendous.

-Crossover volume is very on/off from closed to open. On a long drive it can become quite tedious. However, Sam has an app for that. A module that keeps valves closed/open permanently. I think I might get that.

-Want to have some fun? If you are in the moment, you want to give the funky business and manually shift etc, this exhaust turns the RS4 into a NASCAR. Haha. It's intoxicating. Be warned, however, it can get on your wick after a couple of hours if you're out on a drive with your mates etc all day or just out for a long time.

-Obnoxious? Valves open or booting it in a built up area, yes.

My conclusion after buying the Non Res and swapping to Resonated centre section, and then back to Non Res is as follows. Initially going from stock to Non Res, there is a real 'what have I just done' moment. But the low end theatre and just burbles and grumbles make this car such a joy. Just a dab of gas or even idling at lights. Special.

Then going on a couple of long journeys, the exhaust noise in comfort with valves closed isn't drone. It's just exhaust noise. There's no vibration. I applied some Noico sound deadening in the boot which did take a few minor annoyances away. But yeah, after say 3-5hrs, it's 'there'. Just saying. You will hear it. Not loud. Just there.

The thing that made me want to go to a resonated centre section was about 5-6hrs into the journey, the roads opened up in Scotland and I switched to hooning it. After about 30 mins, the sheer volume just started to pee me off. Kinda felt like I just wanted to back off or not go over 3400rpm. Could it have been he long journeys there and back? Maybe.

I got the centre muffler from Milltek fitted and ummmm...it died in my opinion. Lost that character. There's boom between 1700-2200rpm with valves open. I 'thought' valves open on the resonated system would be like valves closed on the Non Res system. But nope. Just isn't. So I got the Non Res section fitted again today and I bloody love it! At least it's honest haha. I'll just live with the volume. The valves are its saving grace. I kid you not.

That's as honest as I can be but I've learned that sound, volume, resonance and drone truly are subjective guys. But unless you can first experience both systems first hand, you'll never get a real feel for in cabin sound from YouTube etc.

Hope this helps.

Might be selling the resonated centre section. It's brand new! Less than 100 miles on it.

Cheers.

marc1
Cruising

Post by marc1 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:02 pm

Agree on the burbles and gargles from overrun. None of that fake fart malarkey on some cars... been there, done that!

Res just dilutes it all. For a B8 I think Sam probably has the best option (Akra). For the Milltek, if the volume is too much, you could try adding some noise reducing material in the boot to dull it down a bit.

wideboy
Neutral

Post by wideboy » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:36 pm

Just had my non-res fitted today, limited miles but managed a quick b road blast and some town driving...

Valves closed: Better sound and more volume than valves open on the OEM sports box, nice V8 but not too much.

Valves open: OMFG! It's nae subtle... Great fun for a b road blast, it turns everything into a real theatrical affair! You can literally feel it in the car.
Almost bearable in town if you drive around the 2000rpm boom, but it's too much for 90% of us I'd think! It's entertaining for 20min but it really is too much.

No motorway driving yet, but at 70 you'll be sitting around the 2000rpm mark in 7th gear and that's going to be terrible with valves open.

In summary, I love it!! But I'm very glad I can shut the valves in town/on the motorway!

Thundercliffe81
3rd Gear

Post by Thundercliffe81 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:38 pm

marc1 wrote:Agree on the burbles and gargles from overrun. None of that fake fart malarkey on some cars... been there, done that!

Res just dilutes it all. For a B8 I think Sam probably has the best option (Akra). For the Milltek, if the volume is too much, you could try adding some noise reducing material in the boot to dull it down a bit.
I'm not getting notifications lately. Just seen this. Tut.

Yeah you're bang on. The Akra is the most refined that still packs a punch.

Already done it haha. It helped a bit actually. I tried the closed cell foam but I'm all honesty, it just numbed the sound and made it boom. I'm loving it now. Sam put it into perspective for me.

G30001
3rd Gear

Post by G30001 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:13 pm

Looking at various options and like others I am looking for the middle ground of Res and Non-Res.

Thinking a Scorpion half system and.....

https://www.darksidedevelopments.co.uk/ ... e-kit.html

My reasoning being the front 2 mufflers on the downpipes look smaller than the centre box so will increase volume less than removing the centre silencer!

I may be totally barking up the totally wrong tree but reckon it may be worth a go as can add the Scorpion downpipes if it is too much!

Discuss!!!
2013 B8 RS4 - Reflex Silver Black Pack probably the 2nd lowest mileage in County
2014 B8 RS4 - Daytona Grey bag of nails with Silver Styling gone

Return to “RS4 (B8 Typ 8K) 2012-2016”