Apple CarPlay Upgrade

4.2 V8 32v FSI - 444 bhp
RS4Guy...
Neutral

Apple CarPlay Upgrade

Post by RS4Guy... » Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:38 pm

Hi all,

I am thinking of upgrading the current SatNav/MMI in my RS4 B8 so as to be able to get an Apple Carplay type experience (touch-screen/Siri rather than using with the media button and then settings to change track etc).

Has anyone got any experience of doing this and can advise on a good product? I assume that the whole screen and back unit will need to be replaced.

Thanks in advance.

geforce
Neutral

Re: Apple CarPlay Upgrade

Post by geforce » Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:00 pm

I've just ordered one of these:

https://carsie.net/product/wireless-car ... MI+3G+Plus

Seems the most legit augmented OEM solution on the market. I will be able to report back next week, hopefully it will arrive by end of this week or on Monday.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

RS4Guy...
Neutral

Post by RS4Guy... » Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:00 pm

Thanks geforce!

G30001
3rd Gear

Post by G30001 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:31 pm

geforce wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:00 pm
I've just ordered one of these:

https://carsie.net/product/wireless-car ... MI+3G+Plus

Seems the most legit augmented OEM solution on the market. I will be able to report back next week, hopefully it will arrive by end of this week or on Monday.

Look forward to the feedback
2013 B8 RS4 - Reflex Silver Black Pack probably the 2nd lowest mileage in County
2014 B8 RS4 - Daytona Grey bag of nails with Silver Styling gone

geforce
Neutral

Post by geforce » Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:43 pm

Only shipped from Germany yesterday. As soon as it arrives this week I will install it and report back.

geforce
Neutral

Post by geforce » Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:34 pm

Landed today so will try and fit tomorrow, time dependant

geforce
Neutral

Post by geforce » Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:30 am

Interim update and a few initial observations:

I fitted it yesterday on a Sunday night in the dark with a head-torch and a normal torch - wouldn't recommend this, you obviously need decent light when doing something like this but it was the only available opportunity and I couldn't wait any longer...

Whatever you do, do not buy cheap MMI / stereo removal keys. It took me 45-60 mins to remove them from the MMI unit once I'd removed it from the dash which as you can imagine was excruciating. After watching multiple YouTube videos and reading various forums it became apparent as to why the keys were a nightmare. You could opt for the cheap keys but you'd need to round off the square edge of the keys where the pin inside the MMI unit mates with the key before inserting otherwise you have to attack the MMI PIN release buttons/mechanism on each side of the unit. Can tell you how if you're caught but it's not worth it. Use Erwin / Etka to obtain part numbers or reach out to somebody for the OEM keys, much easier.

The Installation instructions are at best, minimal. It does not come with an installation manual or an operating manual. The online installation tutorial video and installation web page provide a high level idea of what's required but are not up to my expected standard for a box that costs £400+ and is actually pretty advanced in terms of granularity of available settings. The wire diagram / signal flow diagram show you what needs to be connected and where but best practices in terms of cable routing and positioning of the box etc aren't provided nor are any meaningful information on the various available settings, at a basic level the installation page / video show you what you need to do but I would expect more from a product at this price point that has advanced features as this does. As a comparison, I had a Dension box for an old A3 and the instructions and product support were far more mature and exemplary.

This is by no means a cheap Chinese box though, the assembly of the unit and wiring harness is on point with cable lengths and positioning of terminals absolutely well designed and manufactured. It is a well manufactured, assembled and presented kit.

I had to re-route cables and find a position for the unit, there is adequate space below the MMI unit and cable routing is easy once you untangle the existing car loom to provide proper routing of the cable loom between the various termination points. I can go into more detail if anyone is interested, it's common sense though in a lot of ways.

Initial connection to my Android Pixel 5 was pretty seamless to enable Android Auto wirelessly but again the instructions are non-existent and as I'm pretty technical, I found it fairly intuitive *after* quite a bit of trial and error of the various options and understanding how Android Auto performs it's handshake etc but still would be made a lot easier with a decent operating manual.

It now seems to work pretty seamlessly but I've only spent an hour or two actually living with it since I haven't driven much. I do have a few questions on the applicability of Bluetooth, WiFi and the various connection methods and profiles between the box, the car and my phone. I also have some questions on audio routing, audio gain structure / signal flow and how these interact with my existing Bluetooth and B&O system - I reckon I've worked out most of the options and can provide quite a few tips and tricks on how to get the best out of the box and ensure it's integration is as OEM-esque as it should be but again, if the menu options were defined in a manual then it would be much easier for the general market. Couple of gripes with how it's setup out of the box with things like an audio EQ profile being set that isn't flat and therefore needs to be returned to flat to ensure my B&O DSP has an initial full input signal to then manipulate as per standard Audi B&O DSP offering - but I work in the tech / audio visual industry so know how this stuff works. I do feel that the audio profile isn't as high quality as it normally is from just connecting my phone to the existing car BT media connection but there are a number of options to tweak and I haven't had long enough with it yet so don't let this put you off (I also have a an ear for hi-fi). I do want to find out the exact spec of the box and how the codecs are handled to identify if there is an audible loss but this is me being a geek - for most people, probably wouldn't notice,. The fact that the unit is set to a customised profile out of the box and some other settings such as mic and volume levels are not at full gain, were incorrect when integrating - my thoughts anyway.

The display on the MMI screen needed to reduce the overscan to ensure the top few lines of pixels were reduced so that the top of the display icons weren't cut-off. The menu option for this is available and works perfectly but is named incorrectly i.e. not called overscan, again not a major thing and isn't intuitive but works perfectly.

The integration with the existing MMI / car buttons seems to work OK but once again, through trial and error you have to figure out what each button does. The unit seems reliable and stable, I'm sure it will become second nature over time. I just need more time with it to really find any shortcomings, bugs or idiosyncrasies.

All of this could be mitigated with a really verbose and comprehensive manual, I'm following up with them on a couple of initial questions and will revert back.

Either way, it's much much better than the standard MMI system I have in terms of finally having Google Maps, Spotify and Google Assistant etc. And if it annoys me, I can revert to the standard system with a quick button press.

PaulHH
Neutral

Post by PaulHH » Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:52 am

I fitted a RSNAV to give me Wireless Car Play

Sammyb349
3rd Gear

Post by Sammyb349 » Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:27 pm

Thank you for the initial view. My 2015 is in severe need of car play (fed up with the endless cost of map upgrades and data SIM cards). Will check out the YouTube videos
Current:
- Audi B8 RS4 - Panther Black
- VW High Up! TSI - Red with Black Roof
Previous:
- BMW R56 Mini JCW - Black with Red Roof
- Peugeot 306 1.6 GLX - British Racing Green
- Ford Fiesta 1.1 Popular Plus - Sky Blue

geforce
Neutral

Post by geforce » Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:49 pm

The unit does both

peetysmith
Neutral

Post by peetysmith » Sun Apr 17, 2022 12:52 pm

geforce wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:30 am
Interim update and a few initial observations:

I fitted it yesterday on a Sunday night in the dark with a head-torch and a normal torch - wouldn't recommend this, you obviously need decent light when doing something like this but it was the only available opportunity and I couldn't wait any longer...

Whatever you do, do not buy cheap MMI / stereo removal keys. It took me 45-60 mins to remove them from the MMI unit once I'd removed it from the dash which as you can imagine was excruciating. After watching multiple YouTube videos and reading various forums it became apparent as to why the keys were a nightmare. You could opt for the cheap keys but you'd need to round off the square edge of the keys where the pin inside the MMI unit mates with the key before inserting otherwise you have to attack the MMI PIN release buttons/mechanism on each side of the unit. Can tell you how if you're caught but it's not worth it. Use Erwin / Etka to obtain part numbers or reach out to somebody for the OEM keys, much easier.

The Installation instructions are at best, minimal. It does not come with an installation manual or an operating manual. The online installation tutorial video and installation web page provide a high level idea of what's required but are not up to my expected standard for a box that costs £400+ and is actually pretty advanced in terms of granularity of available settings. The wire diagram / signal flow diagram show you what needs to be connected and where but best practices in terms of cable routing and positioning of the box etc aren't provided nor are any meaningful information on the various available settings, at a basic level the installation page / video show you what you need to do but I would expect more from a product at this price point that has advanced features as this does. As a comparison, I had a Dension box for an old A3 and the instructions and product support were far more mature and exemplary.

This is by no means a cheap Chinese box though, the assembly of the unit and wiring harness is on point with cable lengths and positioning of terminals absolutely well designed and manufactured. It is a well manufactured, assembled and presented kit.

I had to re-route cables and find a position for the unit, there is adequate space below the MMI unit and cable routing is easy once you untangle the existing car loom to provide proper routing of the cable loom between the various termination points. I can go into more detail if anyone is interested, it's common sense though in a lot of ways.

Initial connection to my Android Pixel 5 was pretty seamless to enable Android Auto wirelessly but again the instructions are non-existent and as I'm pretty technical, I found it fairly intuitive *after* quite a bit of trial and error of the various options and understanding how Android Auto performs it's handshake etc but still would be made a lot easier with a decent operating manual.

It now seems to work pretty seamlessly but I've only spent an hour or two actually living with it since I haven't driven much. I do have a few questions on the applicability of Bluetooth, WiFi and the various connection methods and profiles between the box, the car and my phone. I also have some questions on audio routing, audio gain structure / signal flow and how these interact with my existing Bluetooth and B&O system - I reckon I've worked out most of the options and can provide quite a few tips and tricks on how to get the best out of the box and ensure it's integration is as OEM-esque as it should be but again, if the menu options were defined in a manual then it would be much easier for the general market. Couple of gripes with how it's setup out of the box with things like an audio EQ profile being set that isn't flat and therefore needs to be returned to flat to ensure my B&O DSP has an initial full input signal to then manipulate as per standard Audi B&O DSP offering - but I work in the tech / audio visual industry so know how this stuff works. I do feel that the audio profile isn't as high quality as it normally is from just connecting my phone to the existing car BT media connection but there are a number of options to tweak and I haven't had long enough with it yet so don't let this put you off (I also have a an ear for hi-fi). I do want to find out the exact spec of the box and how the codecs are handled to identify if there is an audible loss but this is me being a geek - for most people, probably wouldn't notice,. The fact that the unit is set to a customised profile out of the box and some other settings such as mic and volume levels are not at full gain, were incorrect when integrating - my thoughts anyway.

The display on the MMI screen needed to reduce the overscan to ensure the top few lines of pixels were reduced so that the top of the display icons weren't cut-off. The menu option for this is available and works perfectly but is named incorrectly i.e. not called overscan, again not a major thing and isn't intuitive but works perfectly.

The integration with the existing MMI / car buttons seems to work OK but once again, through trial and error you have to figure out what each button does. The unit seems reliable and stable, I'm sure it will become second nature over time. I just need more time with it to really find any shortcomings, bugs or idiosyncrasies.

All of this could be mitigated with a really verbose and comprehensive manual, I'm following up with them on a couple of initial questions and will revert back.

Either way, it's much much better than the standard MMI system I have in terms of finally having Google Maps, Spotify and Google Assistant etc. And if it annoys me, I can revert to the standard system with a quick button press.
What was the option called to reduce overscan? I got one of these fitted somewhere and took it back because of this issue and had it un-installed for a refund. They weren't aware of the option to adjust this but I suspect that it may have just been because they didn't know.

Blue_Thunder
Top Gear

Post by Blue_Thunder » Fri May 13, 2022 9:29 am

I got the identical kit from Alibaba for under £200. It's a massive improvement!

It's not touch screen like OP was hoping for, but it's fairly intuitive with the MMI controls. You can also use the steering wheel controls too.

My only gripe is that it occasionally (rarely) loses connection to the phone, but I found that turning your phones BT off and on again allows it to reconnect.

Sent from my SM-G980F using Tapatalk

M10clm
Neutral

Post by M10clm » Mon Oct 24, 2022 3:05 pm

So a few months on how are you getting on with these kits? I’ve just got hold of my 2015 RS4 and must say this is high on my list of priorities to sort.

I’ve been quoted near on £600 for supply and install at a local place but am fairly comfortable installing if I can find the best hardware to buy. Looking around they all seem fairly similar but interested in anyone’s first hand experience? I’ll be running an iPhone and CarPlay if that makes any major difference

i_ry87
Neutral

Post by i_ry87 » Wed Nov 30, 2022 2:22 pm

Hi All,
Thought I would post my experience, as I also struggled with the amount of choice available. I ended up going with the plug and play system from Integrated Automotive (https://integratedautomotive.co.uk/prod ... -auto-kit/), as I had read good reviews and installed the unit myself. I am by no means an expert, but I am a reasonably practical with these type of things. After having the unit installed for the best part of 6months/2000miles, below is a list of pros and cons that I have found:

Pros:
- Relatively easy to install (if you're not afraid to unplug a few connectors). The unit sits on top of the glove box (behind the dash) and connects to the harness on the rear of the MMI unit, as well as a couple of other connectors.
- Customer service is excellent. I had a few installation questions, which were emailed back to me within the hour (even at close to midnight).
- Carplay (exactly how I wanted) - Spotify, Global Player, Waze, etc.
- No interference with menus "behind the Carplay screen". I had read other reviews where people using the MMI controls were unknowingly changing settings, etc in the background as the MMI operated as normal behind the Carplay screen
- All controls operate as normal, MMI knob to navigate, volume, skip track, etc. You can use the steering wheel control, but this upsets the binnacle menu.
- Binnacle screen appears as standard. It just has an "Aux" name at the top. Speed, on board computer, etc are all still present.
- Gives the interior a "newer" look
- Wireless connectivity
- You can still operate the Carplay for navigation and use the OEM AMI/DAB for music. However, the sound from the Carplay is not connected, so no spoken instructions will play through the speakers if using this configuration.
- No more map updates!

Cons:
- Instructions could be better for the install. Understandable, these are generic for most Audis, but you can eventually work it out.
- No touch screen, but easily navigated with the existing MMI controls. I personally wasn't too fussed by this, as would have meant taking even more of my dash apart and dreaded finger prints
- Unable to to use built in microphone for phone calls. The unit comes supplied with a microphone that needs routing through the dash (I've still yet to do this, as I was trying to work with the OEM system).
- Occasional drop out/loss of signal when streaming stations, especially if on a drive through rural locations. This is more likely to be down to my iPhone 11 / O2 Network signal drop out, but be under no illusions that this is not as effective as traditional DAB. I'm not sure if this is the same experience with OEM Carplay systems?!
- Occasional failure to connect or system losing signal. Usually a reset phone and/or car sorts this
- I'm not sure if it is related, but occasionally my DAB signal drops out (if I am using the OEM system), but could also be a black out area or just that the DAB is not as functional in the B8 RS4. I had an S3 8V previously and did not notice this as much with the OEM DAB.
- The system is obviously setup for touch screen interfaces, so inevitably there is an amount of scrolling involved. Especially if you want to enter an address in Waze or Google Maps. There are of course ways around this, such as entering the address prior to your journey and just clicking on the last address, etc. once you are in the car.
- Significantly drains my phone battery, but I assume this is the case with OEM Carplay systems. Note that the AMI port is replaced with an Aux plug in cable (the cable is not used, it just fools the car into using the Carplay). If you need to used the AMI to charge your phone, you can still swap these around but the sound quality is not as good.

Overall I am really pleased with the system. 90% of the time it works faultlessly and the other 10% I just switch back to the standard DAB/Sat Nav, if I am unable to reset it on the go.

I'm aware I probably could have got the same unit cheaper elsewhere, but I paid the extra for a UK distributor and any potential help along the way.

Would I recommend it / do it again? 100%!
IMG_3426.JPEG
IMG_3427.JPEG
IMG_3430.JPEG
IMG_3441.JPEG
IMG_3827.JPEG

goram
Neutral

Post by goram » Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:00 pm

25.2 mpg? How? :)

Return to “RS4 (B8 Typ 8K) 2012-2016”