Thinking about selling.......

4.2 V8 32v FSI - 444 bhp
Bendelaurence
2nd Gear

Thinking about selling.......

Post by Bendelaurence » Tue May 11, 2021 10:08 pm

So, my RS4, running great.

I don't have an extended Warrenty. I will never touch an Audi dealership again. The amount of repairs which require engine&gearbox out are becoming alarming. All these gearbox problems people post about are scaring the <beep> out of me. Non-serviceable rear diff costing £8k. Water cooled alternator £1000.

Honestly, im not enjoying owning it, because im constantly waiting for something to go wrong costing me £10k+ in parts and a month of wrench time.

How delicate are these cars? Am I letting forum horror stories shake me out of a decent car?

G30001
3rd Gear

Re: Thinking about selling.......

Post by G30001 » Tue May 11, 2021 11:17 pm

In a word yes.

Any expensive car is expensive to repair, if it freaks you out buy a Kia they have 7 year warranty......and then do your best to stay awake when diving :-)

Warranty's are around a grand, one thing goes wrong it has paid for itself.
2013 B8 RS4 - Reflex Silver Black Pack probably the 2nd lowest mileage in County
2014 B8 RS4 - Daytona Grey bag of nails with Silver Styling gone

Bendelaurence
2nd Gear

Post by Bendelaurence » Wed May 12, 2021 12:10 am

Its not so much the cost bothering me. All cars are capable of breaking. Whats bothering me is it feels like these are quite likely to break.... in a big way. But like I said, I might just be letting forum posts scare me.

My last 4 cars have been mercies and BMW's. Ive run them from 20'000 miles to over 100k A gearbox in any of them would have been expensive. But I never felt like I was waiting for it to break. When I'm driving this, its almost like 'only a matter of time.'

I haven't looked at aftermarket warranties because I was under the impression they weren't worth the paper they're written on. If you recommend one, let me know, I'll take a look.

I dont actually ever think ive heard someone say - 'Rs4 - really reliable car. Very rare something goes wrong with that'.

Jesus, I think im finally growing up. Thoughts on a Prius? 😂

Oliver89
Neutral

Post by Oliver89 » Wed May 12, 2021 8:28 pm

The only way you’ll shake that feeling of dread is by getting a warranty. Then at least all the big items you mentioned are covered. I will be purchasing one soon and without any doubt or hesitation will get a full blown £1,600 warranty. Reason being it also covers electrical items but more importantly it covers the items that the failed items may of damaged. The named components one only covers the specific item that fails, not anything else around it.
In my opinion, I’m going into the ownership having done my due diligence and know it costs around £300 a month to run these with the warranty. Not counting fuel or insurance. I wouldn’t dream of not getting a warranty. If I didn’t I would indeed, be shitting myself every time I heard a noise, creak, knock or anytime I sat in the blooming thing. As has been mentioned, if it was a Toyota Yaris it would be a different story. I guess part of the luxury of owning one of these premium cars is the potential expense of repairs. I don’t think that’s ever been a secret when it comes to any RS or even S for that matter. I was going to get a B9 S4 but for the very marginal difference in maintenance costs I’ll take an RS4. Always wanted one, so here I come.
P.S. would also get a full warranty on the S4 lol

johnnydog
3rd Gear

Post by johnnydog » Fri May 14, 2021 1:01 am

I have an Audi Extended All Component Warranty on mine which does give some piece of mind - for me it is there should any major cost repair items fail.
Having said that I also have a 2015 Hyundai Santa Fe Premium SE which had a 5 year no questions asked warranty, which was very good. I've have a replacement set of alloys due to a small amount of laquer crazing, a replacement drivers electric window switch due to a piece of the decorative trim coming off, a replacement rear seat mechanism as the seat once failed to fold with the single action release, and lastly a rear light unit due to condensation. I enjoy the vehicle for different reasons to the RS4, and the Hyundai service for the warranty claims has been great; my point being that two weeks ago and 6 months out of the 5 year warranty, the Hyundai's transfer box developed an oil leak, and a rear brake caliper was binding. They replaced both rear calipers (with Pagid parts at my request to reduce the bill) and the transfer box casing, but I am £1,800 lighter. I am keeping it as I think it is a great all round vehicle, especially for towing, but without any form of warranty/ extended warranty, big bills can easily come without warning as with any modern vehicle. But I never drive it worrying about it breaking down or faults occurring otherwise you end up not using it for what they were designed for and having sleepness nights!

Bendelaurence
2nd Gear

Post by Bendelaurence » Sun May 16, 2021 8:25 am

Yes. Audi warrenty isn’t an option for me at this point. But I had a good look at it this weekend. And googled new and used prices for major components. I’m an experienced mechanic, and have access to fully work shot facilities. Should the worst happen, I’m just going to get on woth it and fix it.

In the meantime, meticulous maintenance (something main dealers don’t seem to have a clue about). And I’m going to start research on building the DRC recharge machine.

Then like you say, enjoy the car and finger crossed I have a good one 😉

Oliver89
Neutral

Post by Oliver89 » Sun May 16, 2021 9:53 pm

Well, Bendelaurence, if you are an experienced mechanic with access to tools and Shop equipment you have a huge advantage over the rest of us! We are at the mercy of Audi and their messed up (politely put) after sales service in all aspects. Based on your initial post it was about being concerned of the actual cost of the big ticket items. How common these issues are is difficult to say. A lot of research can be made online but the undeniable truth is that people write about the negatives and almost never about the positives. People don’t sign up to a forum to say “my gearbox hasn’t failed!”
There clearly are some concerns as they are known to fail early on and they wouldn’t of changed things around otherwise. It’s because of this that I simply wouldn’t own an S or RS without a warranty. £5k or £15k for either end of the gearbox scale justifies the warranty for me, that’s without talking about the DRC. For £130 a month you don’t have to worry about any of it.
I’m an anxious over thinker. I’ll take that warranty.
If I had some mechanical experience, I still would.
I don’t know how experienced you are or how much effort would be involved in sourcing new or used components for the complex gearbox and it’s workings, and taking the car off the road to work my way through fixing and replacing it. I personally feel my time and peace of mind is certainly worth the cost of the warranty. I work 6 days a week and hardly get much time to enjoy the things I love.

If you think about all the sports cars that near on super car performance you generally have high bills, maintenance and known issues. It’s a shame that Audi seem to have such bad reputation and clearly for a reason. In my opinion, sadly, it just makes sense to go for the warranty. No bullshit, no quibble, no worries. (Although I’m sure they’d be some bullshit and quibble)
If you say the warranty isn’t an option for you because you are an experienced mechanic, I have to say, it sounds like you’re actually a step ahead of most of us.
On the other hand if I understand what you’re saying,
It’s that you just don’t know if the B8.5 RS4 is a world of trouble and worth the impending doom of work to be done. I get that. The simple answer is none of use really know. All you can do is select a car that has been very well maintained and have it checked over, but obviously don’t need to tell you that!
The rest is a bit of a lottery. I like playing the lottery, just not Russian roulette, if you get what I mean.

Rusty Racer
3rd Gear

Post by Rusty Racer » Mon May 17, 2021 1:13 pm

There is always a cost attached to running any vehicle. I have had 2 punctures recently. One that was not repairable but I can’t blame anyone apart from the local council.
If you don’t have an emergency repair fund then it’s not the car for you! The items you mentioned don’t tend to just fail so I guess you could get rid of the car if you were concerned?
Warranty or no warranty won’t stop me enjoying mine
2018 RS4 B9 Carbon Edition
2014 RS4 B8

Bendelaurence
2nd Gear

Post by Bendelaurence » Tue May 18, 2021 11:49 pm

To all - I didn’t realise you can get an extended warrenty anytime!!! I thought it was BMW in the old days. 3 years/60,000, then yoj have to keep up the warrenty. Miss a year, and it’s over. I’ve had a read through it today. So I gather if it’s been serviced how it should be I can start the warrenty tomorrow.

I’m going to get all my service papers together and send it to them to make sure they’re happy then take one out 👍🏾👍🏾👍🏾

Oliver89
Neutral

Post by Oliver89 » Wed May 19, 2021 10:09 pm

Bendelaurence wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 11:49 pm
To all - I didn’t realise you can get an extended warrenty anytime!!! I thought it was BMW in the old days. 3 years/60,000, then yoj have to keep up the warrenty. Miss a year, and it’s over. I’ve had a read through it today. So I gather if it’s been serviced how it should be I can start the warrenty tomorrow.

I’m going to get all my service papers together and send it to them to make sure they’re happy then take one out 👍🏾👍🏾👍🏾
Happy to of assisted in your realisation!!!
Yes it certainly isn’t cheap but if it means keeping such a wonderful mechanical creation without sweating yourself to sleep every night it is great value for money!!!!
I can’t wait to find mine...........
grey or blue. Less than 75k and full service history including the big ones!

Bendelaurence
2nd Gear

Post by Bendelaurence » Wed May 19, 2021 11:06 pm

I was also just avoiding dealers at all costs after they tried to rip me off to the tune of £11k last time.

But I totally forgot, woth a warrenty, the only person they can rip off is themselves

Rusty Racer
3rd Gear

Post by Rusty Racer » Fri May 21, 2021 1:17 pm

That’s the spirit!
2018 RS4 B9 Carbon Edition
2014 RS4 B8

johnnydog
3rd Gear

Post by johnnydog » Fri May 21, 2021 7:47 pm

Bendelaurence wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 11:49 pm

You can get an Audi Extended Warranty at anytime; however if it isn't a continuation of a previous extension of the expiry of the Manufacturers 3 or 5 year warranty, or possibly an Audi Used Car Warranty, it will unfortunately cost you near double the amount.

Bendelaurence
2nd Gear

Post by Bendelaurence » Fri May 21, 2021 7:48 pm

the quote on the website this week was £125 a month!

Just checked again, its now £115. But I refused to take it out until I have it in writing that they're happy with the service history. These guys will use any excuse to get out of paying IMO

Astonished
2nd Gear

Post by Astonished » Fri May 21, 2021 10:30 pm

Hi Bende

I’m in Oz, and it maybe that I’m one of the exceptions, however my dealership gives me great service, care and attention and my RS4 is still a delight.

I have just racked up 240,000kms in my 2014 (July) RS4 that I’ve had since new. The new B9 versions are sublime but I’m reluctant to give up 8,250 rpms of wonderment and revert back to a “touch only” screen that I had on my Passat R36 back in 2008.

I did have extended warranty and that covered a couple of items (no bank breakers) but that’s long run out and not extendable for ever.

I’ve never had any alarming issues such as gearbox, engine, DRC etc etc but have had some bushes, PCv valve etc etc replaced and yes I replace all the pads and rotors every 50,000kms (which is what I get out of my brakes as I do a lot of country driving for work).

I am now going into ownership where my lease is running out (in 2 months) with the car owing me nothing and I’m mentally offsetting any monthly outgoings against repairs etc. the cAr still presents as new. If I’ve just washed/detailed it you could walk up to it and think it’s done 24,000kms, although at the moment country runs mean dead insects grasshoppers and the like splattered all over the front of it.

I will say that I’m now ready for a rebuild/replace of the cv joints as I just started hearing some characteristic knocking doing tight turns in the car park and I’m also reckoning the DRC has lost its “excellence” and could need a rebuild, plus some lambda sensors playing up. I’ll get those done, plus whatever else is needed but reckon that at 240,000 kms I should be expecting some of this stuff.

My Passat R36 had a replacement gearbox and aircon around 150,000kms and because I’d been religiously going back to that dealer for service (same travel per year as now) the dealer sees me every 5 to 6 months and they then all know me and look after me and my “big costs” for the R36 were heavily subsidised by VAG “goodwill” instigated by the dealer. I am getting similar treatment now at the Audi dealer (different).

Obviously not everyone does the same travel as I do nor has had as good a run with the dealer, however as Oliver mentioned people don’t regularly go on forums to say “mines great” when most are spending the time pointing out the faults.

As your a mechanic then enjoy the fact that things like cv joints, brakes, lambda sensors, PCv valves etc etc can be done by yourself if needed or also get extended warranty for the “big items” such as engine and gearbox (which could still go wrong but what real world percentage chance?) and just enjoy the car. Naturally as a mechanic with skill and understanding you can employ a good modicum of mechanical empathy whilst still enjoying spirited driving. They really are a delight to drive whether either cruising along so effortlessly or having that grin as you explore the 6,000 to 8,250 corner of the rev range ....

Or, simply put: just enjoy it!

Hope that helps

Cheers from Sydney, Oz

Return to “RS4 (B8 Typ 8K) 2012-2016”