What are the best tyres for my RS4?

4.2 V8 32v FSI - 444 bhp
Post Reply
Sidicks
1st Gear
Posts: 52
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:01 pm

What are the best tyres for my RS4?

Post by Sidicks » Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:58 am

The recently acquired winter tyres will be going on soon, but what are the best summer tyre replacements when the main wheels are put back?!
:nogarors4:
2014 Audi RS4 Avant
2014 Porsche 991 GT3
2014 Audi S1

User avatar
bam_bam
Cruising
Posts: 14357
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:08 pm
Location: London

Re: What are the best tyres for my RS4?

Post by bam_bam » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:19 pm

Black round ones.
No matter where you go, there you are.

douglasgdmw
1st Gear
Posts: 53
Joined: Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:22 am

Re: What are the best tyres for my RS4?

Post by douglasgdmw » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:50 pm

I still have the Pirelli's but hear the Mirchelin MP4S is well regarded.

That is what I will be replacing my tyrea for when the winters come off.

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/Mi ... -Sport.htm

John_vts
Neutral
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:02 pm

Re: What are the best tyres for my RS4?

Post by John_vts » Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:05 pm

I replaced the terrible Pirelli P Zeroes with Michelin Pilot Super Sports as soon as I got my RS4 and they performed really well.

Sidicks
1st Gear
Posts: 52
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:01 pm

Re: What are the best tyres for my RS4?

Post by Sidicks » Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:19 pm

Thanks - Michelin’s would be top of my list - but not sure about whether to for the new MP4s or the Super Sports (bearing in mind that this is meant to be my practical but fun car) and I now have other wheels with winter tyres for the really cold stuff.

The Cup 2’s on my GT3 are great for the summer, but ‘exciting’ In the wet!

Actually, just realised that the Pilot Sport 4S is the replacement for the SuperSport, so this is the obvious one to choose!
:beerchug:
2014 Audi RS4 Avant
2014 Porsche 991 GT3
2014 Audi S1

Sidicks
1st Gear
Posts: 52
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:01 pm

Re: What are the best tyres for my RS4?

Post by Sidicks » Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:49 pm

douglasgdmw wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:50 pm
I still have the Pirelli's but hear the Mirchelin MP4S is well regarded.

That is what I will be replacing my tyrea for when the winters come off.

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/Mi ... -Sport.htm
Thank for this - that’s made up my mind!
2014 Audi RS4 Avant
2014 Porsche 991 GT3
2014 Audi S1

pauldavidthomas
Neutral
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:52 pm

Re: What are the best tyres for my RS4?

Post by pauldavidthomas » Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:15 pm

From what I've read MP4's...

However, seeing as I don't intend to do such speeds in mine, why can't we just get lower rated tyres ?

Sidicks
1st Gear
Posts: 52
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:01 pm

Re: What are the best tyres for my RS4?

Post by Sidicks » Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:23 pm

pauldavidthomas wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:15 pm
From what I've read MP4's...
I think you mean MP4S’s !
pauldavidthomas wrote: However, seeing as I don't intend to do such speeds in mine, why can't we just get lower rated tyres ?

Such as? What do you have in mind?
2014 Audi RS4 Avant
2014 Porsche 991 GT3
2014 Audi S1

User avatar
Brooner
Cruising
Posts: 3416
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2003 5:12 am
Location: Scotlandshire

Re: What are the best tyres for my RS4?

Post by Brooner » Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:33 pm

Sidicks wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:23 pm
pauldavidthomas wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:15 pm
From what I've read MP4's...
I think you mean MP4S’s !
pauldavidthomas wrote: However, seeing as I don't intend to do such speeds in mine, why can't we just get lower rated tyres ?
the above might be an issue with insurance not running the correct rated tyres if you have a accident they will look at any thing to no pay out

wideboy
Neutral
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:30 pm

Re: What are the best tyres for my RS4?

Post by wideboy » Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:55 am

I had Supersports on my previous (300BHP RWD) car, that's what i'll put on the RS when the time comes.

But for now, "Winter's coming"!

HPsauce
4th Gear
Posts: 520
Joined: Tue May 19, 2015 6:31 pm

Re: What are the best tyres for my RS4?

Post by HPsauce » Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:22 am

Tyre speed ratings don't just cover the ability to grip/flex at the rated speeds but also the power required to be transmitted to get you there combined with the load being carried.
Unless you're going to be driving like Miss Daisy any reduction in tyre rating is a risk.

Sidicks
1st Gear
Posts: 52
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:01 pm

Re: What are the best tyres for my RS4?

Post by Sidicks » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:39 pm

wideboy wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:55 am
I had Supersports on my previous (300BHP RWD) car, that's what i'll put on the RS when the time comes.

But for now, "Winter's coming"!

I think the Supersports have been superseded by the MP4S
:beerchug:
2014 Audi RS4 Avant
2014 Porsche 991 GT3
2014 Audi S1

N3DXT
Neutral
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:42 am

Re: What are the best tyres for my RS4?

Post by N3DXT » Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:27 am

I picked up my B8 RS4 at the end of November, the front tyres were Pirelli P Zeros with just under 4mm on and the rear were Dunlop Sport Max with around 6mm. The car has been tramlining badly since I got it and I decided at the end of December to get the P Zeros gone, I had them replaced with Michelin MP4S tyres on Saturday and the difference is hugely noticeable, I've only done 30 or so miles so far with them so I'm still scrubbing them in but the steering is no longer snatching and trying to drag me all over the road.

Sidicks
1st Gear
Posts: 52
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:01 pm

Re: What are the best tyres for my RS4?

Post by Sidicks » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:02 am

N3DXT wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:27 am
I picked up my B8 RS4 at the end of November, the front tyres were Pirelli P Zeros with just under 4mm on and the rear were Dunlop Sport Max with around 6mm. The car has been tramlining badly since I got it and I decided at the end of December to get the P Zeros gone, I had them replaced with Michelin MP4S tyres on Saturday and the difference is hugely noticeable, I've only done 30 or so miles so far with them so I'm still scrubbing them in but the steering is no longer snatching and trying to drag me all over the road.
Had my Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tyres fitted today and the difference is genuinely unbelievable. Whilst the P-Zeros on the front were certainly past their best, it's not the extra grip that surprised me, although this is significant, it's the steering, which has now become massively lighted and much more precise. I'm now wondering if the previous Pirelli P Zeros were run flat, and that might explain the extra steering weight.

Anyway, so far the MPS4S are doing well!
:bowdown:
2014 Audi RS4 Avant
2014 Porsche 991 GT3
2014 Audi S1

Post Reply

Return to “RS4 (B8 Typ 8K) 2012-2016”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests