Why the RS 3 handles so badly

2.5 I5 20v TFSI - 335 bhp
Nickyboy
Top Gear

Re: Why the RS 3 handles so badly

Post by Nickyboy » Fri May 02, 2014 7:14 am

blackphantom wrote:
Nickyboy wrote:
Dave_Hedgehog wrote:Driving the rear and front wheels compromises engine position, the RS3 engine is better positioned than many 4WD cars because it's transverse not longitudinal (RS2)

It's a worthwhile compromise because of the vastly superior power delivery and better performance

The new platform may be better sorted but so far it's only using the terrible 4 pot engine, an engine so crap they have to put a fake sound speaker in the engine bay lol

The next RS3 is not going to a skunkworks car but rather a stock line mass produced car which may get the 4 pot as if fits easily, lots of rumours ATM most saying 4 pot
Just like the crap 3.0T Audi engine and 4.0TT BMW engine using noise enhancers?

Also, of course the new platform is only using a 4 pot, it's a small car and the RS is yet to released which could be a 5 pot. Why would they make a 5 pot S3, or 5 pot diesel? There's no need.

The next RS 3 isn't going to be a skunkworks car, I think people just hope it's not like the 8P RS 3 and going off the 8V S3 it should be a good one.

Crap 3.0T AUDI engine whats that all about ?
No no no old man. My point had sarcasm to it, well at least in my head it did.

My point is good engines like the 3.0T and 4.0TT also have noise enhancers. Therefore just because a car has noise enhancers doesn't mean the engine is crap.

I'd say the 3.0T would have more character if you could hear the supercharger a bit more, or at all.
2014: 8V S3, Scirocco (mistake)
2013: B8 RS 5, 3.0T S5 coupe, B8 S5 cab - temp, B8 S4 avant
2011: 2.0T FL Octavia VRS
2010: 1.8T Octavia VRS

klauster
Top Gear

Post by klauster » Fri May 02, 2014 7:32 am

Nickyboy wrote:
klauster wrote:
Nickyboy wrote: Just like the crap 3.0T Audi engine and 4.0TT BMW engine using noise enhancers?

Also, of course the new platform is only using a 4 pot, it's a small car and the RS is yet to released which could be a 5 pot. Why would they make a 5 pot S3, or 5 pot diesel? There's no need.

The next RS 3 isn't going to be a skunkworks car, I think people just hope it's not like the 8P RS 3 and going off the 8V S3 it should be a good one.
Most of the people that knock the RS3 8P have never actually driven one... point to point the RS3 is a fast capable car and with very little cash can be transformed into something special.
Well all reviews (pretty much) of it are negative so I guess they have. I haven't driven it for extended periods but when I have I thought it was ok, the point ebing an RS shouldn't feel ok. When I drove it I had my RS 5 and I massively preffered the 5, the 5 may have jaded my opinion though. I'd like to try it again now I have the new shape S3 to see how they compare.
I test drove the RS5 twice as I wanted one before the RS3 but I found it a massive disappointment and it lacked the practicality for me.

That being said the facelift versions sound like they addressed some of the issues.

The RS3 deffo lacked the refinement found in the RS5
RS3 8P 2013 Phantom Black with Ally Pack and Black Optics Grille | LED Interior and number plate lights - GONE :(
RS4 B7 2006 Phantom Black with Titan alloys and mirrors - GONE :(

Bacardi Jo
4th Gear

Post by Bacardi Jo » Fri May 02, 2014 7:45 pm

Ian_C wrote:
bam_bam wrote:Ahuh, singing an engine's tuning potential isn't saying it's characterful... or is it?
This. The 3.0 V6 is a stonking plant no question with greater tuning potential than the straight five. Hand MRC 750 quid and you have 460 bhp. However the B8 S4 would definitely have greater soul with the straight five. Anyone who has been in an ur Quattro / S2 / RS2 will know what I mean when I say the soundtrack is every bit as intoxicating as a V8. The next gen RS3 and TT *need* to keep this 2.5 engine
I had a UR Quattro in the late 80s and is one of my all time favourite cars that I've owned ,unfortunately all this emissions /fuel efficiency noise regulations B*ll*cks is dictating to the motor manufactures , Audi really need to keep the 5 cylinder engine alive as its part of their heritage and hopefully they will in the next RS3.

Dave_Hedgehog
5th Gear

Post by Dave_Hedgehog » Fri May 02, 2014 9:54 pm

Nickyboy wrote:
Well all reviews (pretty much) of it are negative so I guess they have. I haven't driven it for extended periods but when I have I thought it was ok, the point ebing an RS shouldn't feel ok. When I drove it I had my RS 5 and I massively preffered the 5, the 5 may have jaded my opinion though. I'd like to try it again now I have the new shape S3 to see how they compare.
not really most of the reviews where very positive, even clarkson liked it, evo gave it 4.5 stars and octane pretty much nailed it imo

http://www.classicandperformancecar.com ... tback.html

there was of course one video review by a certain jurno who is desperate to get ratings and become "clarkson MKII" where the ass gravy flowed forth in high volumes, and even then it was quicker than the "superior car" and thats with the truly sh1t conti tyres on, putting the MPSS's on massively improves the car (as does leaving it in sport ESP so that the E diff is on, why audi is it off in normal mode ... :audibash: )
The Hedgehog, creator of RS4.org, back in of the RS fold yet again, third time lucky :)

Dave_Hedgehog
5th Gear

Post by Dave_Hedgehog » Fri May 02, 2014 9:59 pm

Nickyboy wrote:
My point is good engines like the 3.0T and 4.0TT also have noise enhancers. Therefore just because a car has noise enhancers doesn't mean the engine is crap.
err yes it does, any engine that needs artificially noise enchantment is automatically sh1t, it does not matter if it runs 7 sec qtrs its still sh1t

the M5/M6 sound bloody terrible from the outside (there is a M6 just down the road i have played with a few times) even thou they go like stink, the RS6 sounds vastly better, a lot of recent performance BMWs are acoustically weak compared to RS and AMG equivalents

go drive a V8 AMG and ask if they have sound enhancement lol, just listening to one growl at traffic lights gives me a semi, dirty dirty sound :biggrin2:

the RS4 sounds amazing on full chat, i would have bought one but the engine is so weak for real world use (1-3k cruising) I do wonder why its so gutless low down when the AMG V8 will melt the tyres the second you look at the loud pedal, extra cubes i guess

listen to those speakers growl lol

http://www.boldride.com/video/view/merc ... and-driver
The Hedgehog, creator of RS4.org, back in of the RS fold yet again, third time lucky :)

Dave_Hedgehog
5th Gear

Post by Dave_Hedgehog » Fri May 02, 2014 10:14 pm

blackphantom wrote: I had a UR Quattro in the late 80s and is one of my all time favourite cars that I've owned ,unfortunately all this emissions /fuel efficiency noise regulations B*ll*cks is dictating to the motor manufactures , Audi really need to keep the 5 cylinder engine alive as its part of their heritage and hopefully they will in the next RS3.
i had a 20v as a company car, i had forgotten how much i missed the 5 pot wail. However with the next RS3 being released so soon after the new car came it is is very likely to be a mass produced production line model, this will mean no skunk works taking it off the line to chop it about and shoe horn in an engine limited run special and will probably mean a production line friendly 4 pot

it will probably also have dynamic suspension which in every car i have ever driven numbs the driving experience

Ian_C
Cruising

Post by Ian_C » Fri May 02, 2014 11:06 pm

blackphantom wrote:
Ian_C wrote:
bam_bam wrote:Ahuh, singing an engine's tuning potential isn't saying it's characterful... or is it?
This. The 3.0 V6 is a stonking plant no question with greater tuning potential than the straight five. Hand MRC 750 quid and you have 460 bhp. However the B8 S4 would definitely have greater soul with the straight five. Anyone who has been in an ur Quattro / S2 / RS2 will know what I mean when I say the soundtrack is every bit as intoxicating as a V8. The next gen RS3 and TT *need* to keep this 2.5 engine
I had a UR Quattro in the late 80s and is one of my all time favourite cars that I've owned ,unfortunately all this emissions /fuel efficiency noise regulations B*ll*cks is dictating to the motor manufactures , Audi really need to keep the 5 cylinder engine alive as its part of their heritage and hopefully they will in the next RS3.
Totally agree. :beerchug:
B5 B6 B7 B9

Return to “RS3 (8PA) 2011-2012”