Why the RS 3 handles so badly

2.5 I5 20v TFSI - 335 bhp
Kiteral
2nd Gear

Re: Why the RS 3 handles so badly

Post by Kiteral » Thu May 01, 2014 6:23 pm

Nickyboy wrote:
sixspeed wrote:Why can't Audi sort their packaging out? That top-down view is pretty appauling.
I reckon the new RS 3 will have the correct package. The current S3 certainly has as it is really nimble, great fun and has a lovely interior (need to spec it though, of course). Let's just hope they use some of the pros of the S3 and then just crank it up then they have got a real winner for the next RS 3.

I am sure Audi have seen all the negative RS 3 feedback (current owners excluded) and will really go to town on it. Especially with the A45 entering the market and the M135i getting cracking reviews. Audi have no choice but to make it a cracker, although shouldn't all RS cars be cracking?
I really hope the next RS3 is a decent one with the all important 5 pot as it will be the perfect car for me !
Audi S4 B8, 6mt, 462hp, 539nm, AWE exhaust with AWE resonated DP's, MRC filter

bam_bam
Cruising

Post by bam_bam » Thu May 01, 2014 6:42 pm

klauster wrote:
Nickyboy wrote:
Dave_Hedgehog wrote:Driving the rear and front wheels compromises engine position, the RS3 engine is better positioned than many 4WD cars because it's transverse not longitudinal (RS2)

It's a worthwhile compromise because of the vastly superior power delivery and better performance

The new platform may be better sorted but so far it's only using the terrible 4 pot engine, an engine so crap they have to put a fake sound speaker in the engine bay lol

The next RS3 is not going to a skunkworks car but rather a stock line mass produced car which may get the 4 pot as if fits easily, lots of rumours ATM most saying 4 pot
Just like the crap 3.0T Audi engine and 4.0TT BMW engine using noise enhancers?

Also, of course the new platform is only using a 4 pot, it's a small car and the RS is yet to released which could be a 5 pot. Why would they make a 5 pot S3, or 5 pot diesel? There's no need.

The next RS 3 isn't going to be a skunkworks car, I think people just hope it's not like the 8P RS 3 and going off the 8V S3 it should be a good one.
Most of the people that knock the RS3 8P have never actually driven one... point to point the RS3 is a fast capable car and with very little cash can be transformed into something special.
I don't get it, are you saying that's what is happening in this thread?
No matter where you go, there you are.

John Johnson
5th Gear

Post by John Johnson » Thu May 01, 2014 7:08 pm

Driven one ......... Tick
Still pants ..........Tick
Current toys in the garage
B7 avant in Daytona with ceramics and a few other goodies and lowwwww miles :-)
Ur quattro. lago Blue
Ur quattro. Mars red

Rs1600i
Transit custom sportvan

http://youtu.be/FWBUl7oT9sA

klauster
Top Gear

Post by klauster » Thu May 01, 2014 7:11 pm

No not just this thread, I appreciate DK didn't get on with his RS3 and found it <beep>. Out of the box it deffo has shortcomings, but with very little spent on it, it can be transformed
RS3 8P 2013 Phantom Black with Ally Pack and Black Optics Grille | LED Interior and number plate lights - GONE :(
RS4 B7 2006 Phantom Black with Titan alloys and mirrors - GONE :(

Bacardi Jo
4th Gear

Post by Bacardi Jo » Thu May 01, 2014 7:19 pm

Nickyboy wrote:
Dave_Hedgehog wrote:Driving the rear and front wheels compromises engine position, the RS3 engine is better positioned than many 4WD cars because it's transverse not longitudinal (RS2)

It's a worthwhile compromise because of the vastly superior power delivery and better performance

The new platform may be better sorted but so far it's only using the terrible 4 pot engine, an engine so crap they have to put a fake sound speaker in the engine bay lol

The next RS3 is not going to a skunkworks car but rather a stock line mass produced car which may get the 4 pot as if fits easily, lots of rumours ATM most saying 4 pot

Also, of course the new platform is only using a 4 pot, it's a small car and the RS is yet to released which could be a 5 pot. Why would they make a 5 pot S3, or 5 pot diesel? There's no need.

The next RS 3 isn't going to be a skunkworks car, I think people just hope it's not like the 8P RS 3 and going off the 8V S3 it should be a good one.

Crap 3.0T AUDI engine whats that all about ?

Ian_C
Cruising

Post by Ian_C » Thu May 01, 2014 7:28 pm

Its a bit characterless. Straight five for the next S4? Wishful thinking I'd image, but it would be awesome, it was a shame the RS3 / TTRS engine didn't go in the B8 S4 when it arrived back in 2009
B5 B6 B7 B9

HYFR
Cruising

Post by HYFR » Thu May 01, 2014 7:29 pm

RS 3 is proper rapid, no doubt.
UK roads it would Muller most things this side of a R8 V10 / C7 RS 6 in the Audi stable.

I did an epic Wales road trip in mine, from Snowdonia to the Gower peninsula. It was effortless and relentless pace.

Chassis balance is its biggest let down.

If this can be improved with mods, then fair play.

Bacardi Jo
4th Gear

Post by Bacardi Jo » Thu May 01, 2014 7:38 pm

Ian_C wrote:Its a bit characterless. Straight five for the next S4? Wishful thinking I'd image, but it would be awesome, it was a shame the RS3 / TTRS engine didn't go in the B8 S4 when it arrived back in 2009
A bit characterless LOL ,lots of people{including you} on here were singing its praises not so long ago due to the fact of the tuning capabilities achieved by MRC .

bam_bam
Cruising

Post by bam_bam » Thu May 01, 2014 7:47 pm

Ahuh, singing an engine's tuning potential isn't saying it's characterful... or is it?
No matter where you go, there you are.

Bacardi Jo
4th Gear

Post by Bacardi Jo » Thu May 01, 2014 7:53 pm

Whats characterful to one person may not be to another.

HYFR
Cruising

Post by HYFR » Thu May 01, 2014 8:03 pm

I don't mind the 3.0TFSI V6

Its no V8 NA or 5pot but it beats a VAG 4POT!

Mr V10
Cruising

Post by Mr V10 » Thu May 01, 2014 8:23 pm

NA V8's FTW. I've had the pleasure of driving a B8 RS 4 and 5 quite a lot over the past four weeks and it has made me realise how poor the noise on my C6 really is by comparison.
2009 Audi RS 6 Saloon V10 - 420mm Ceramics, Keyless, Soft Close, Adaptive Cruise, Glass Sunroof, Blinds, Twin Pane & UV, Freeview & DAB, High Beam Assist, MTM bits, Audi Exclusive Bits, MRC, Milltek, GYEF1 ASY2's, Bluetooth streaming music to AMI mod - 753PS, 1021 NM
2016 Audi S3 Saloon S-Tronic, Sepang, B&O, Tech Pack w/connect, 19" 5 Arm Wing Alloys, Comfort Pack, LED Light Pack - Company Car
1995 Audi A8 4.2 V8 quattro Sport

marc1
Cruising

Post by marc1 » Fri May 02, 2014 12:04 am

klauster wrote:No not just this thread, I appreciate DK didn't get on with his RS3 and found it <beep>. Out of the box it deffo has shortcomings, but with very little spent on it, it can be transformed
What have you done to yours mate?

Ian_C
Cruising

Post by Ian_C » Fri May 02, 2014 12:10 am

bam_bam wrote:Ahuh, singing an engine's tuning potential isn't saying it's characterful... or is it?
This. The 3.0 V6 is a stonking plant no question with greater tuning potential than the straight five. Hand MRC 750 quid and you have 460 bhp. However the B8 S4 would definitely have greater soul with the straight five. Anyone who has been in an ur Quattro / S2 / RS2 will know what I mean when I say the soundtrack is every bit as intoxicating as a V8. The next gen RS3 and TT *need* to keep this 2.5 engine
B5 B6 B7 B9

Nickyboy
Top Gear

Post by Nickyboy » Fri May 02, 2014 7:08 am

klauster wrote:
Nickyboy wrote:

Most of the people that knock the RS3 8P have never actually driven one... point to point the RS3 is a fast capable car and with very little cash can be transformed into something special.
Well all reviews (pretty much) of it are negative so I guess they have. I haven't driven it for extended periods but when I have I thought it was ok, the point ebing an RS shouldn't feel ok. When I drove it I had my RS 5 and I massively preffered the 5, the 5 may have jaded my opinion though. I'd like to try it again now I have the new shape S3 to see how they compare.
2014: 8V S3, Scirocco (mistake)
2013: B8 RS 5, 3.0T S5 coupe, B8 S5 cab - temp, B8 S4 avant
2011: 2.0T FL Octavia VRS
2010: 1.8T Octavia VRS

Return to “RS3 (8PA) 2011-2012”