DRC Knocking

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 444 bhp
jpcartel
1st Gear

DRC Knocking

Post by jpcartel » Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:24 pm

Picked up my RS5 (2011) a few weeks back now and have started noticing a knocking coming from the suspension. It's like a hollow knocking coming from under front foot well so thought at first it may be a loose ARB or suspension mount. It seems to happen more when the car is cold and subsides somewhat once warmed up & is evident more in Comfort mode and seems to go away in Dynamic (can just hear my teeth rattling then...)

Took it to Manchester Audi - their chief technician came for a road test and agreed there was noise there. He suggested first re-gassing / re-pressurising to see if this worked as a first step. If this doesn't work then on to checking the valves that go between the opposing shocks etc.

I have seen that this was a common issue on the B7 RS4 but has anyone come across it on the RS5?

Any feedback on dealer stance / capabilities on resolving the issue?

Manchester Audi's machine is broken and not sure when it will be fixed so I'm booked in this Friday 14th at Warrington Audi for a full day (?!) of suspension diagnostics...

I'll post an update after the visit to Warrington Audi and any findings but would be great to go armed with some info so they can't try the usual script (well sir, it is a performance car with hard suspension, they all make this noise blah blah blah, or we've changed a washer under warranty - that should solve it..)

Any advice welcome!
-------------
2011 RS5 - Daytona Grey
Sports Pack, Sports Exhaust, B+O, Nappa, Black Optics, Tech Hi, Home jobby (garage door thingy) and whatever else its got..

northernpar
2nd Gear

Re: DRC Knocking

Post by northernpar » Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:11 pm

So, the symptoms you have stated are exactly the same as on my RS5 (2011). I've had it in before with Audi Aberdeen (approx. 12 months ago) and had the same "couldn't find anything/they all do that sir" type response but they must have done something as it seemed to improve for a while, probably re-charged the system.

I now have it booked in on the 14th where they will have it for a couple of weeks while I am on holidays to do a thorough investigation so once I'm back (early March) I'll post an update.

I was also thinking off sticking valves as on a recent journey and after sitting idle for a couple of weeks the knock was really noticeable on the offside of the car however on the return leg (couple of hundred miles in total) things sounded better. I've got to do the test drive on the 14th so will no doubt get the 'I can't hear anything' nonsense but also I won't be giving in until they resolve it fully. For what it's worth I had a similar response (TADTS) with a gearbox issue (sluggish gear changes in auto) and after some persistence they finally came through and the clutch plate pack was changed with a noticeable improvement.

Feel free to quote my symptoms/experience if it helps.

northernpar
2nd Gear

Post by northernpar » Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:45 pm

So, Audi Aberdeen have a brilliant new service which I never new about. Dropped the car in at 10:30 today after a test drive with one of the service team who heard the knocking. Received an e-mail at 17:15 called Audi Cam with web link and an SMS at the same time with a pin code. Logged in and I get video of my car with the Audi Tech explaining what he has found.

What he has found is offside front shock leaking and needs replaced plus a software update for the suspension - also pointed out that my front pads are low but I knew that anyway and plan to move to the wavy discs all round when I get back from holidays. So I'm happy that this will get fixed but having been through the RS4 DRC issues this all feels so familiar and not in a good way! Hopefully this is a one off and maybe the software update has something to do with prevention so I'll be asking when I finally pick the car up in a couple of weeks. There aren't too many RS5's in the UK so we won't get the same volume of reports but I'm now very interested in hearing what they find with jpcartels system.

Once I get more information (might give them a call tomorrow/Monday) I'll repost.

sakimano
5th Gear

Post by sakimano » Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:01 am

It's funny after the rs6 drc problems, everyone thought with the B7 "... They won't fk this up again will they?"

Yup! Full recall of all RS4 Drc and revised parts installed.

Now the RS5 has only had a few problems and frankly I don't know of any revised B7 RS4s with problems but it is still a weird thing that they keep messing up this DRC...(and they they bother to continue trying)

Works quite well when sorted though so I guess that's why.

doodlebug
Cruising

Post by doodlebug » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:59 am

Worth pointing out it's worked well on C6....

jpcartel
1st Gear

Post by jpcartel » Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:46 pm

There aren't too many RS5's in the UK so we won't get the same volume of reports but I'm now very interested in hearing what they find with jpcartels system.

Once I get more information (might give them a call tomorrow/Monday) I'll repost.[/quote]

My appointment with Audi has been moved back to Thurs 20th & Friday 21st now back at Manchester Audi.

It seems Warrington didn't really want to pick up warranty work that Manchester had flagged up so Manchester are borrowing some equipment from Warrington so they can work on it.

I'll post the outcome Friday.

I have noticed over the last couple of days that the steering is feeling more loose by the day and starting to be a bit disconcerting. I don't know if this is a knock on effect from the DRC problems or another issue altogether. All tyre pressures are ok and it hasn't been kerbed or through any big holes so I know the tracking isn't out so need to now find out if this is linked or not. I'm sure I read somewhere that in some instances there have been problems with the steering rack bolts coming lose and stretching the holes leading to vague steering and knocking noises.
-------------
2011 RS5 - Daytona Grey
Sports Pack, Sports Exhaust, B+O, Nappa, Black Optics, Tech Hi, Home jobby (garage door thingy) and whatever else its got..

jpcartel
1st Gear

Post by jpcartel » Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:59 pm

Today's update.

Car went in to Manchester Audi this morning.

Just had a call from the service dept:
-cracked front O/S wishbone
-misting on front O/S shock

Both parts being replaced tomorrow - will give further update when I have more news.
-------------
2011 RS5 - Daytona Grey

northernpar
2nd Gear

Post by northernpar » Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:44 pm

Did they mention anything about a software upgrade for the suspension?

Wonder if the cracked wishbone was a result of the knackered damper. Strange that it's the same damper that's failed on both cars.

jpcartel
1st Gear

Post by jpcartel » Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:55 pm

no mention of software upgrade yet. The guy who called me was just a service team rep and reporting back fro the technician so didn't know much detail other than the above.

I also asked them to let me know which wishbone - as on the RS5 it's more like a 4 link set up rather than standard wishbones so would be interesting to see if its upper or lower etc.

I noticed it starting to understeer more than normal into right hand bends over the last couple of days and felt a little like the steering was getting a bit vague so glad it went in before anything more catastrophic happened..

Will post a further outcome once I pick t up tomorrow (hopefuly..)
-------------
2011 RS5 - Daytona Grey

jpcartel
1st Gear

Post by jpcartel » Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:16 pm

Had a call from Audi saying the car was ready to collect.

Met by James (senior tech) who said it was O/S front lower rear wishbone that had cracked & been replaced. He couldn't change the misted shock as they didn't have an actuator & both would need replacing. Told me to try it for a week or so and let them know.

200yds out of garage, knocking still there but now obvious on both O/S & N/S.

Given them mine back, in a courtesy car & told them to keep it til it's fixed...
-------------
2011 RS5 - Daytona Grey

jpcartel
1st Gear

Post by jpcartel » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:37 am

well, as a quick update - car is still in with Manchester Audi...

They have now changed O/S/F shock and the related actuator. They have also ordered the other actuator incase they both need replacing.

They can't recharge the DRC as their machine is broken. They borrowed the one from Warrington and this doesn't work either... They are now trying to borrow the one from Macclesfield but think it is doubtful as it is shared across 5 dealerships. They have ordered a new machine but on back order and likely to take around 4-5 weeks...

Suppose I'll have to keep roiling round in their A4 TDi loaner..
-------------
2011 RS5 - Daytona Grey

northernpar
2nd Gear

Post by northernpar » Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:46 am

Well, finally got back from vacation and picked the car up from Aberdeen Audi. O/S/F shock replaced along with a connector that the oil leakage had damaged (indicates was leaking for some time), system recharged to 20 bar following new workshop guidance and a very brief mention of a software update on the maintenance record (SVM?). Car now handling like it should with no knocking noises, have yet to test all modes (dynamic) but shouldn't be a problem.

No real explanation of why the failure occurred from Audi, although not expected, but will be conducting regular inspections on all shocks between now and when the warranty ends.

Great service from Aberdeen Audi on all counts.

jpcartel
1st Gear

Post by jpcartel » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:08 am

glad to hear you got it back and problem seems to be solved :-)

I should be hopefully getting mine back today or tomorrow - they found a damaged top mount also which could have been caused by the wishbone crack down below so had to order this on Friday.

I'm hoping it's all back to how it should be!

Paul (service team manager) at Manchester Audi has been keeping me updated along with James Hatton (senior tech) so happy with the service so far - everyone has been really helpful and just shame the DRC recharging machines seem to be a bit to scarce.
-------------
2011 RS5 - Daytona Grey

jpcartel
1st Gear

Post by jpcartel » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:30 pm

well,

got the car back yesterday - all above parts swapped out and system recharged. Seemed ok at first and then when I left home this morning the knocking started again...

Have spoken to chief tech at M'cr Audi who is baffled by it and asked me to bring it back in tomorrow..

hopefully they will get to the bottom of the problem soon.. getting a bit frustrated now.
-------------
2011 RS5 - Daytona Grey

jpcartel
1st Gear

Post by jpcartel » Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:49 pm

car is back with Manchester Audi again..

No one seems sure what the problem is or how long it will take. Will post an update when I have more info...
-------------
2011 RS5 - Daytona Grey

Return to “RS5 (8T) 2010–2015”