Yikes, it only went in for a service

4.2 V8 40v Naturally Aspirated - 335bhp
mooman1000
1st Gear

Yikes, it only went in for a service

Post by mooman1000 » Mon May 16, 2011 12:38 am

Before my garage undertook the service they had a quick look around to see what needs doing....

New cooler header tank as the current one is split on the bottom side
Near side CV boot split but not right through just yet
New set of rear disc and pads - both sides
Off side front O2 sensor error
Upper arms both side - offside gone completely, near side on its way out
Near side swirl actuator - ball joint broken off
Blowing exhaust from near side manifold -> cat - caused by the lower support bolt shearing off so the weight of the front cat is hanging from the manifold bolts
2 Front new tires

Hmm in total just shy of 2k once vat is added including the service :(, didnt to tell the missus or that car would be gone by now.

Will get it all done over time, however they did say depending on the manifold part if they cannot fix the supporting bolt or the manifold is damaged it could be engine out job, gulp!

Sniff

richyb66
Neutral

Re: Yikes, it only went in for a service

Post by richyb66 » Mon May 16, 2011 4:48 pm

That's quite a big bill but I'm asuming that more than half of that is the parts, other than the blowing manifold, none of the other jobs are exactly difficult or long winded.

Interesting that the top arms are on the way out, I suspect one of mine might be too. I get a bit of knocking on some road surfaces and suspect a work ball joint but I haven't bothered investigation it yet. Rear discs and pads on mine look like my next big spend.

mooman1000
1st Gear

Post by mooman1000 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:29 pm

Thought I would update about the manifold situation - it turned out to be good news in the end, bolt had not sheered off it just wasnt put back in at some time, my guess would be when the gearbox was fixed, grrrr, but no proof and it was done nearly 2 years ago. Anyway no further damage had been done to the manifold so just tightened back up and put new bolt in, sorted for around £120 so then had a service done.

Not done anything else on the car yet but found a second hand coolant tank (well several actually) on ebay for about £25 so will get that and diy, every little helps.

Spent just shy of 6 hours cleaning the thing inside and out for the holiday next week, blasted kids no matter that I dont let them eat in the back it was full of bit and pieces they take in the car, toys, leaves, flowers! etc.

MingS6
Neutral

Post by MingS6 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:12 am

mooman1000 wrote:Not done anything else on the car yet but found a second hand coolant tank (well several actually) on ebay for about £25 so will get that and diy, every little helps.
I bought a new one from Audi for around £30 inc, have you checked?

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:56 am

The disks and pads are an easy DIY job, too.
Daytona RS6 C5 Avant. Viper'd, Billies, Waggers, MTM box brain, C6 stoppers, xcarlink, R8 coolant cap (woohoo)
///M3 E46 | XC90 (V8, natch) | Passat GTE | RR Classic V8 flapper
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair."

Return to “S6 (C5 Typ 4B) 1999-2003”