S6 factory wheel options and what else fits properly?

4.2 V8 40v Naturally Aspirated - 335bhp
AdrianE
2nd Gear

S6 factory wheel options and what else fits properly?

Post by AdrianE » Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:30 pm

Hi folks

Currently looking to buy an '02 S6 saloon which has 2 sets of wheels with it - one of which is definitely wrong for the car, the other may well be wrong! It's not necessarily a deal breaker, as the tyres are pretty well worn anyway and both sets need refurbishing. The rest of the car is spot on.

The set on the car are cheap A8 replicas which are nowhere near wide enough (they're wearing 225/40ZR18 tyres, but wrong load index) which were bought because the original (to this owner) set of rims needed a wheel repairing and a number of new tyres.

The spare set are the 9 spoke wheels that I believe were available as an option, or possibly standard on late S6s? Believe they're 8.5x18, although not had it confirmed. I also don't yet know what the offset is to confirm whether these rims are intended for an S6, or came off an RS4.

Question is this - are there any resources online that give accurate information about what wheel specs (part numbers/dimensions/offsets) were available from the factory as either standard fit or options, or what other Audi rims are a perfect fit? I'm guessing RS6 rims fit perfectly, but since there's a million 'RS6' wheels advertised that quite clearly aren't, it'd be useful to know what the part numbers should be.

I'm not particularly after 19" rims, but the pic of the car I'm after on the original 18" does make it look under tyred. Probably not helped that they have 255/35/18 tyres rather than 40 profile....

Any help/pointers much appreciated!

Adrian

AndyAvant
Neutral

Post by AndyAvant » Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:04 am

Hiya Adrian

I recently bought an S6 and it came with the original 17" rims. I upgraded to the later 18's that your referring to with 255/40/18 rubber on 'em and I'm happy.

Mine are 8.5" wide with an offset of 30

AdrianE
2nd Gear

Post by AdrianE » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:01 pm

Thanks for the reply - I did some further digging at my local dealer and it appears the 18" wheels were supplied with the car from new.

It also appears the 35 profile is the correct one, although even the build spec lists the wrong tyre size! Suggests an 8.5x18 rim should have a 225/40ZR18, whereas all info I can find with the car/online etc says 255/35ZR18, which is what's on the wheels in any case, is the correct size for an S6.

I made the seller an offer over the weekend, but he's rejected it and I'm not prepared to pay more - it simply isn't worth what he's after when it's a private sale rather than a dealer forecourt with some sort of warranty/come back if you have issues. Especially when it's over 200 miles to view, so I would only go with the knowledge I could get the car at the right price.

I need to allow £500-1000 to sort out the wheel and tyre situation so there's no way I'm paying top whack for a car that needs work! There are other issues with it, but none are deal breakers at the right price.

Annoyingly I could've bought another S6 that's been for sale for some months at £8450, but didn't have Isofix fitted as an option - found out today it can be retrofitted on most 2002 on A4 and A6 models, so long as the correct captive nuts are visible behind the seat base!! What's extra annoying is the fact the rest of the spec was better than the one I've had my offer rejected on - has all round parking sensors, electric rear blind and the manual side blinds which would've been perfect for the little 'un in summer :(

I guess I may get a call if seller reconsiders - apparently been offered more as a part-ex, which suggests they have loaded the part-ex value rather than knocking money off a car that's welded to the forecourt to entice the buyer. I suggested he see what he can get said car for if he doesn't have a part-ex and see if the cost to change is less....

The search continues....
2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black leather, 9x20 7 spokes, tech pack high, phone prep high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, cruise, DAB, parking system plus, storage pack, through load

===SOLD=== 2002 S8 4.2 Final Edition in Avus Silver with mauve (purple!) leather, 8.5x20 9 spokes, bi-xenons, 10 way electric Recaros, added RNS-E, hybrid TV and bluetooth goodness - and a Milltek ===SOLD===

Return to “S6 (C5 Typ 4B) 1999-2003”