Extended Warranty

3.0 V6 24v TFSI - 329 bhp
ComingSoon
Neutral

Extended Warranty

Post by ComingSoon » Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:35 am

Hello all,
First post, and apologies if this has been covered to death elsewhere but I couldn't see anything recent relating to this.

I am hopefully soon getting a low mileage early (2009) S4 Avant which I am very excited about. However the excitement is tinged with dread about the S-Tronic gearbox going bang. The car has a good history and apparently no problems with the gearbox, so I've decided to take the risk because it's got loads of power and cool toys. And anyway any comparable car has some expensive weak spot!

From following a few of the threads on this and other forums it seems warranties are a very mixed bag on big claims and most aftermarket ones are pretty slippery. I was then surprised to find the car is (just) eligible for an extended Audi warranty, and Named Component cover is not an entirely unreasonable price. Price is comparable to a more comprehensive MotorEasy policy, who seem to come out best of the aftermarket warranty firms.

I've never bothered with aftermarket warranties before, and since I do a bit of my own spannering anyway it hasn't usually been worth it. However the S4 gearbox is way beyond my capability or equipment and dropping £2,500 on a recon gearbox would really hurt (is that about the going rate?).

Does anyone have any experience of either Audi Extended or Motor Easy for a claim like this? And And is it worth £6-700 a year to insure against this risk, or am I best just to keep a chunk of cash aside in case the worst happens?

Thanks in advance!

Return to “S4 (B8 Typ 8K) 2009-2016”