Sport Diff. Fault ?

3.0 V6 24v TFSI - 329 bhp
liffy99
2nd Gear

Sport Diff. Fault ?

Post by liffy99 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:39 pm

Hi
I've a 2009 S4 B8 that recently threw a dash warning "sport differential system fault". Other than the light on the dash, which appears as soon as the ignition is on, the car seems perfectly normal.

Took it to my Audi independent who initially suspected an oil leak - but level was normal (fluid was replaced anyway whilst there). Then ran diagnostics which threw fault codes for both the temperature and pressure diff. sensors (strange for them to fail simultaneously surely ?). But just one was suspected to be faulty and was replaced (sorry, I don't know which one). I was then told the dash warning had gone but that the car needed a diff. software update to recode the sensor to the system. The coding guy has not yet managed to do this, despite trying. In any case, the "sport differential warning light" was still coming on immediately (with no pressure or temperature having even started to build).

My gut feeling is that the sensors are not the problem but the garage have taken a cursory look at the wiring and could not see any signs of damage (e.g. a short somewhere). Anyone out there have any ideas ?

I've a full printout of the Rosstech diagnostics which I could scan if it would help.
As an example the section for the Oil Pressure and Temperature Sensor reads;

0024 - Oil Pressure and Temperature Sensor
C1004 31 [137] - No Signal
MIL ON - Confirmed - Tested Since memory Clear
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status : 00000001
Fault Priority : 2
Fault Frequency : 1
Reset counter : 107

Voltage terminal 30: 10.94 V
VPS Voltage : 10.94 V
Torque distribution : 0Nm