Test drive reveals a couple of concerns

3.0 V6 24v TFSI - 329 bhp
Blue_Thunder
Top Gear

Test drive reveals a couple of concerns

Post by Blue_Thunder » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:46 am

Went to view another B8 S4 yesterday. Really nice car, and ticks all the boxes for me.

However, there were a couple of problems which meant I had to walk away. First up was the brakes. When at motorway speed, I had planned to brake heavily to see if there was any instability or shake, but before I managed to apply a lot of pressure, the wheels felt as though they had locked up briefly, as if the ABS kicked in(and I'm sure the pedal sank down), but I had only applied moderate braking, maybe 15-20% pedal. No ABS codes other than a tyre pressure warning which popped up.

Are there any known brake issues? Or any ideas what could cause the ABS to kick in like this?

The other is related to S-tronic, but this one could just be in my head. When we went over some speed bumps (so going slowly), when I accelerated away it seemed to kick down to 1st a second or two after pulling off, despite thinking I wasn't applying much throttle (had our 5 month old baby on the test drive). Other than that, the gearbox seemed to behave well. Wasn't sure if this could be a warning sign of the S-tronic wanting to throw huge bills my way in the future.

fcuk1_6
1st Gear

Re: Test drive reveals a couple of concerns

Post by fcuk1_6 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:29 am

Not sure regarding the ABS issue, not something I have experienced personally.

With regards to the S-Tronic kicking down did you maybe have the drive select set to "Sport" meaning it would be more sensative to throttle input than normal?

If you are on the hunt for a high spec B8 S4 mine is up for sale just now: viewtopic.php?f=63&t=123647

Return to “S4 (B8 Typ 8K) 2009-2016”