S4 ex Mr Harris......

3.0 V6 24v TFSI - 329 bhp
duggy72
1st Gear

Re: S4 ex Mr Harris......

Post by duggy72 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:47 pm

Thanks for the replies. It does make you think twice about a remap though.

Ian_C
Cruising

Post by Ian_C » Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:27 pm

Safer with three pedals
B5 B6 B7 B9

Skiptowncat
1st Gear

Post by Skiptowncat » Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:57 am

Mech failure has nothing to do with power, it's just a bad design.

Geoff A
2nd Gear

Post by Geoff A » Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:50 pm

I'm interested to know what causes the failures. IanC, are you a mechanic or an engineer? Do you know which components fail and why? Do you know the S tronic box cannot handle the power or are you making an assumption based on reported failures? Would like to know more Skiptowncat, about its flawed design. Does the more powerful RS4 B8 use the same box?

I do find it odd that nobody ever reports S tronics that have done big miles - we only ever seem to hear about the bad stuff..... And I suspect there are lots out there with remaps running very well. The ad is hilariously written as you'd expect, and he can't hide from its history. Which makes it all the more interesting. Wonder where this ex-press car will end up next.

S4WON
Top Gear

Post by S4WON » Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:10 pm

I stick to a fairly basic principle when it comes to remaps, aftermarket.

Do they have a larger R&D budget and more talent/knowledge than the manufacturer?

It yes, and its still in warranty, smash it to bits and spend all my money on women and drink, waste the rest.

If no, assume it will break at some point, enjoy it while it lasts but make sure i am prepared for D-day and have money for repairs.

Ian_C
Cruising

Post by Ian_C » Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:14 pm

Geoff A wrote:I'm interested to know what causes the failures. IanC, are you a mechanic or an engineer? Do you know which components fail and why? Do you know the S tronic box cannot handle the power or are you making an assumption based on reported failures? Would like to know more Skiptowncat, about its flawed design. Does the more powerful RS4 B8 use the same box?

I do find it odd that nobody ever reports S tronics that have done big miles - we only ever seem to hear about the bad stuff..... And I suspect there are lots out there with remaps running very well. The ad is hilariously written as you'd expect, and he can't hide from its history. Which makes it all the more interesting. Wonder where this ex-press car will end up next.
Nope, not an engineering, purely reading peoples experiences on here, Audi SRS, Pistonheads etc etc

It's matter of when, not if. It's a job that will have to be done at some point in the cars life, just like the gearbox and torque converter on the C5 RS6, and the clutch (and dual mass flywheel) on the V8 S4 and RS4
B5 B6 B7 B9

ANDYTQ
Neutral

Post by ANDYTQ » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:19 pm

]I bought the sister car to this one ,another ex audi press car with a simular reg ,mine has been looked after much better than Chris's pos. :s4addict:
S4 b8 avant. :s4addict:

Return to “S4 (B8 Typ 8K) 2009-2016”