VCDS and ASR question - Is torque limited with ASR switched on?

5.0 V10 50v biturbo - 571 bhp
IanH755
Top Gear

VCDS and ASR question - Is torque limited with ASR switched on?

Post by IanH755 » Mon May 08, 2023 6:25 pm

Hi All,

I was having a generally clean up/maint on my car and was going through VCDS checking for various bits and scrolled across Measuring Block 120 which is the ASR (traction control) section - https://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/m_blocks/120-129.html - and noticed there was what I would consider to be a "limit" set of 999.95nm Torque in the "Specified moment ASR/FDR" block and that got me wondering about the following things (probably incorrectly so I'm happy to be educated) -

Does that mean that with the ASR "on" but not "active" - i.e. no wheel spin - the engine torque is limited to 1000nm by using the ASR to keep the limit?

Or

Does that mean that with the ASR "active" - i.e. when you're wheel spinning - that engine torque is limited to 1000nm by using the ASR to keep the limit?

Or

Does that mean nothing and its an unused block and I'm just overthinking things or is it something else I've not thought of?

I've always said that my car "feels" faster under acceleration with the ASR & ESP "off" (long hold on ESP button) compared with ASR/ESP "on", even when there are no traction issues i.e. 100mph into full throttle using kickdown so zero chance of wheel spin etc.

As such unless the ground is wet and/or its actively raining, I never use ASR/ESP and always switch it off immediately before I drive away and I just allow the Quattro system (and my right foot) to figure out how best to move power around to get the best grip and therefore best performance without relying on two electronic systems which only take power away (which I still think is a great idea for a lot of "less attentive" drivers) and I've been driving at 900hp+ since 2016 like that, including trackdays, without issue so far, touch wood.
***OLD*** Daytona C5 RS6 Avant - MRC'd - 500HP & 820NM (PistonHeads Link).

***NEW*** Daytona C6 RS6 Avant - MRC'd - 955HP & 1200NM (PistonHeads Link)

Return to “RS6 / RS6 Plus (C6 Typ 4F) 2008-2010”