Top part of valves starting to bend/snap: Advice please

5.0 V10 50v biturbo - 571 bhp
Carlson
2nd Gear

Top part of valves starting to bend/snap: Advice please

Post by Carlson » Mon Jul 25, 2022 12:24 pm

Hello everyone,

I hope you’re all well.

My RS6 is suffering from corroded/crumbling/breaking valves.
The TPS’s are all working fine so I’d rather not replace the whole units as it would obviously be quite an expense.

My question is, is it possible to just replace the top bit ie the threaded valve that the air compressor attaches to when inflating the tyre, or is the TPS and valve all one piece?

Any help or advice greatly appreciated: place to source, part numbers etc.

Many Thanks

Simon

Jim Haseltine
4th Gear

Re: Top part of valves starting to bend/snap: Advice please

Post by Jim Haseltine » Tue Jul 26, 2022 10:47 pm

Depends. Some can, some can't. OE Audi fitment TPS can have the valve stem replaced, the part id 420 601 361 A. Yes, the stems are cheaper than complete TPS but if the stems are on their way out then the battery in the sensor probably hasn't got much life left so changing the stem instead of the complete unit may be false economy - especially as you can pick up aftermarket sensors for a lot less than OE and unless you've got access to tyre tooling you'll be stumping up for somebody to do the work for you.

ATinOf
3rd Gear

Post by ATinOf » Sat Aug 20, 2022 6:32 pm

Bugs me the TPS doesnt report battery life, such a simple diagnostic to have included. Seems every time I have tyres changed a few weeks later one of the sensors goes. Had I known could have done them at the same time.

+1 for stems and sensors being separate; I changed sensors last time and left the stems - regretted it afterwards of course

I now have a sensor out (yes tyres were done a few weeks ago) and plan to do all 4 stems and sensor's with its major service that's due, and I may even get the wheels shot blast and redone....

Jim Haseltine
4th Gear

Post by Jim Haseltine » Sat Aug 20, 2022 10:25 pm

Half the time the nuts have fused to the stems anyway so they have to be cut out. Last time I had a couple of tyres fitted I had a pair of valves and sensors fitted as both had died. One had to have the nut cut off and one of the replacement sensors lasted about a week. Didn't get anything done about it and then a rear sensor gave up a few months later. Bought a couple more valves and sensors then replaced them myself - had to cut the nut off the rear sensor. Took the valve cores out then pushed the outer bead inwards using a portable hydraulic ram and working around the rim until the whole bead was free. Chocked the bead back with some pieces of solid wood 'cos there was no way I was putting my fingers in there without some precautions. If I hadn't dropped one of the valves inside the tyre it would have been a much quicker and easier job.

ATinOf
3rd Gear

Post by ATinOf » Tue Nov 01, 2022 3:44 pm

Any recommendations on complete TPMS & valve stems? Going to do the full set....

Jim Haseltine
4th Gear

Post by Jim Haseltine » Wed Nov 02, 2022 9:28 am

I fitted pre-configured Hamaton EU-Pro units from UK Parts Direct. In two minds about recommending them as of the 4 (in total) that I've bought, one failed in a very short time. I'm currently running 3 EU-Pro and one which judging from what I removed from the other rear wheel is likely to be OE. Since fitting them I've had intermittent TPMS failure warnings but VCDS shows no error codes.

ATinOf
3rd Gear

Post by ATinOf » Sun Nov 06, 2022 1:49 pm

Hmmm, not exactly glowing feedback Jim, I take that half hearted 'recommendation' accordingly. Ive contacted a few sellers on well known 'sites' and a lot of them declare they dont support our cars, which narrows the field somewhat

Return to “RS6 / RS6 Plus (C6 Typ 4F) 2008-2010”