part # needed for small diameter main cooler o-ring

5.0 V10 50v biturbo - 571 bhp
ruedisrs6
Neutral

Re: part # needed for small diameter main cooler o-ring

Post by ruedisrs6 » Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:44 am

Dear Jim,
many thanks for your help, greatly appreciated ! I guess the part # is N90959701, which is an NBR O-ring with 22mm of inner diameter and a thickness of 3.55mm. In the meantime I found out that the diameter is 22mm, but I did not find any infos about the thinkness.
By the way, I had exactly the same problem with the starter cable. In my case it was corrosion of the connector to the starter on the side of the cable to the engine top. This corrosion led to an increase of the resistance between the cable and the connector and a voltage drop of almost 2 Volts. Since our cars are quite current-hungry (40A during drive and more) there was 80W power dissipation at the connector which of course results in heat. The heat is dissipated at the connector to the starter magnet resulting in melting of the plastic at the terminal. When my engine was out 4 years ago, the cable and the starter had to be removed. I got aware of this problem, because I had to replace my battery every 1.5-2 years because it was never fully charged because of a too low charging voltage. Now, after replacement of the cable, everything is fine.
Best
Ruedi
IMG_2867.jpg

Jim Haseltine
4th Gear

Post by Jim Haseltine » Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:31 pm

My starter cable - what's left of it....

ruedisrs6
Neutral

Post by ruedisrs6 » Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:41 pm

And I thought mine was bad ....... Looks like it has seen very high temperatures.

Jim Haseltine
4th Gear

Post by Jim Haseltine » Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:21 pm

Today I started the car for the first time with the new cable and starter motor. I don't think it has ever started that well in the 6 years that I've owned it. I ran it up to the point that the fans were on super speed, switched it off and left it for 10 minutes. It started again without an issue. Two weeks ago with the old cable and starter it wouldn't have started for hours.

Return to “RS6 / RS6 Plus (C6 Typ 4F) 2008-2010”