Airbag sensor location

5.0 V10 50v biturbo - 571 bhp
drsb
Neutral

Airbag sensor location

Post by drsb » Tue Mar 29, 2022 2:47 pm

The airbag warning light has come on, and VCDS suggests it is the G284 passenger side crash sensor. Ross-Tech Wiki suggests some fault triage steps below, which I am keen to try myself. However, I can't easily find a reliable source of information for where the sensors are. The diagrams on 7zap aren't that clear, and I don't have a copy of the workshop manual. Can anyone help please.

Also, my understanding is that the safe protocol for investigating and removing airbag components is to remove the black (-ve) connection to the battery first. Anything more?

Thank you in advance.

---
1) Check wiring and connections for G284
2) If connections are ok, change passenger side crash sensor (G284) with drivers side sensor (G283). If the fault change also, you found a faulty sensor. Replace it
3) If changing G283 with G284 does not change the fault, then check wiring between G284 and Airbag Control Unit.

Jim Haseltine
4th Gear

Re: Airbag sensor location

Post by Jim Haseltine » Tue Mar 29, 2022 5:34 pm

It's mounted on the back of the radiator support. Look in the engine compartment between the headlight and the air intake, there's a black plastic unit bolted to the back of the support at the top, it has (should have) a yellow wiring plug.
Driver's unit is fitted in the same place on the other side of the radiator.

drsb
Neutral

Post by drsb » Thu Mar 31, 2022 6:28 am

Many thanks. Found them!

Swapped the sensors over to check whether it was a sensor fault or wiring fault (as per Ross-Tech) and now the fault doesn’t reappear. Go figure …

In case anyone is interested, the Part number for G284 is 4L0 959 651 and it’s the same on each side.

Douglas.

KenH
Neutral

Post by KenH » Thu Mar 31, 2022 3:30 pm

Had exactly same problem. Swapping from L to R didn’t prove anything as it was an intermittent fault which didn’t recur for (maybe) weeks after the fault code had been cleared. Eventually bit the bullet and purchased a new sensor (cheaper than I had imagined from Main dealer) and it only took 10 mins to install myself. That was back in Sept 2021 and no problems since.

Jim Haseltine
4th Gear

Post by Jim Haseltine » Wed Apr 13, 2022 5:28 pm

Airbag light came on last night, same thing - passenger side sensor G284. Eventually that is. First off this morning VCDS wouldn't connect to the car - interface was recognised but no connection, LED on the interface plug wasn't lit either. Fuse 12, one of the live feeds to the OBD socket was blown, which as I didn't have any mini fuses available meant going out and buying a selection box. Cleared the code, started the engine and the light was back on. Cleared the code again, swapped over the two sensors and similarly the fault has disappeared.

Additional: After two days the fault is back, this time on the driver's side so it looks like the sensor is faulty.

Return to “RS6 / RS6 Plus (C6 Typ 4F) 2008-2010”