Gearbox issue (again)

5.0 V10 50v biturbo - 571 bhp
Brufo93
Neutral

Gearbox issue (again)

Post by Brufo93 » Tue Mar 22, 2022 4:27 pm

Hi guys just wondering if there’s anyone on here that can help with my gearbox problem. I’m still having trouble selecting reverse. I’ve also come across another problem the car will not let me use the paddle shift and will get to sixth gear as fast as it can automatically. I have spoken to a few garages and they have said fluid so I’ve had the fluid changed and filter and it still has the same issue. I contacted Audi and they have a long waiting list and they would recommend just changing the whole unit. (Which I haven’t got the pennies for)😂 any help would be brilliant either a reputable garage or someone who knows these inside out.
Thanks again guys.

welwynnick
4th Gear

Re: Gearbox issue (again)

Post by welwynnick » Tue Mar 22, 2022 4:38 pm

Did you solve your last gearbox problem first?
Did you replace any of the faulty solenoids?
Did you replace the valve body bridge seals?
Who did the fluid and filter change?

Nick

Brufo93
Neutral

Post by Brufo93 » Tue Mar 22, 2022 11:37 pm

No the original problem we believe is still there. Yes replaced the solenoids and the problem seemed to still be there but now is quickly changing gears to sixth as quick as it can. And yes all the seals were replaced was done by a local garage to me. Will not be using them again.

Adam

Stiggles
2nd Gear

Post by Stiggles » Thu Mar 24, 2022 11:45 am

Brufo93 wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 11:37 pm
No the original problem we believe is still there. Yes replaced the solenoids and the problem seemed to still be there but now is quickly changing gears to sixth as quick as it can. And yes all the seals were replaced was done by a local garage to me. Will not be using them again.

Adam
I've the same issue, mine will shove it's way to 6th gear with the maximum 4,000 rpm error on screen.

Struggling to figure it out. I've just had the torque flaps in the manifold removed and coded out which is what I thought it was but it still persists

Brufo93
Neutral

Post by Brufo93 » Sat Mar 26, 2022 8:32 pm

Yes that’s the exact issue I have had the flaps removed and coded out and still can’t work out what’s wrong

Brufo93
Neutral

Post by Brufo93 » Mon Mar 28, 2022 7:04 pm

I’m still having the gear change issue between the gears almost like the clutches are slipping but not at the same time if that makes sense? 😂 if you have any progress keep me posted as will I with you.

Brufo93
Neutral

Post by Brufo93 » Mon Mar 28, 2022 8:53 pm

Vagcom has brought up the code p1719 transmission fault? Don’t know what this means exactly as it’s just a generic code with no expansion as to why the code is being triggered.

Jim Haseltine
4th Gear

Post by Jim Haseltine » Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:42 pm

Any codes stored for the engine? P1719 pretty much means that the gearbox functions have been limited because of faults recorded by the engine module.

Brufo93
Neutral

Post by Brufo93 » Tue Mar 29, 2022 1:41 pm

No codes on the engine as soon as that code is cleared comes straight back.

VaudiGR
3rd Gear

Post by VaudiGR » Sun May 01, 2022 6:13 am

Why have the flaps been removed in the first place?

Sent from my SM-S908B using Tapatalk

Stiggles
2nd Gear

Post by Stiggles » Mon May 02, 2022 11:59 pm

VaudiGR wrote:
Sun May 01, 2022 6:13 am
Why have the flaps been removed in the first place?

Sent from my SM-S908B using Tapatalk
I had mine removed because they continuously jumped out of place, I had them re positioned several times now but it's gotten to the stage where it's better off without them as they're clearly a failure point.

Brufo93 wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 7:04 pm
I’m still having the gear change issue between the gears almost like the clutches are slipping but not at the same time if that makes sense? 😂 if you have any progress keep me posted as will I with you.
I haven't fixed mine yet, but I think it'll be a case of having to have the car fully mapped again with them removed as the ECU clearly can tell something is wrong and it's forcing itself into a safe mode as such. I do know that one of the solenoids for the runner linkage isn't working correctly as it was tested, so I might try replacing it before any drastic measures like another tune.

Have you tried driving beyond 60mph? Mine seems to behave normally from 55/60 on because the car is at 1800-2000rpm which is logical as the flaps create air turbulence for when the engine is operating up to those RPMs, which leads me to believe it's definitely a coding issues rather than an actual fault as such.

Ideally I'd like to get them running correctly and trouble free, but given the amount of times they've failed on me and I've read a few reports of failures on here I'll just leave them as they are.

ATinOf
3rd Gear

Post by ATinOf » Thu May 05, 2022 4:28 pm

There's a lot happening in this thread...

Am i correct in thinking this all started with 'Cant select Reverse'? Followed by 'had some work done', followed by 'Paddles not functioning', with 'Code P1719 (gearbox limited due to engine fault that you cant find)' and 'quickly changing up through to 6th'?

If I'm reading this right the work done has not fixed the original problem and has created some new problems?

Can you give a timeline of the above if I've got it wrong?
Can you advise (or ask) exactly what the 'had some work done' was?

ATinOf
3rd Gear

Post by ATinOf » Thu May 05, 2022 5:40 pm

Taking the first problem - and assuming it is a gearbox problem, assuming the problem is not arising from recent modification/flashing; and the fluid level is ok? and the fluid type is correct....?
assuming VCDS reports no error codes in the auto-trans module 02, which would be strange on failing to select a gear...?

There are 5 clutch packs in the ZF6, A through E
Reverse requires Clutch B and Clutch D applied
First uses Clutch A and Clutch D
Third uses Clutch A and Clutch B

So if you can get first and third gears, the clutches themselves are functioning, you have an issue with B and D functioning in tandem for Reverse which suggests a most likely pressure issue, and less likely friction/steel issue. Try toggling from drive/neutral/reverse and back a couple of times pausing in each to see if it drops in reverse; both with gearbox fluid cold and hot (leave the car idling in park for a while will get the fluid hot; VCDS can report the temp).

Assuming it is a pressure issue;
The pressure issue probably wont be the bridge seal, or the filter blocked, or the pump and pump seals; if other gears work.
The pressure issue is unlikely to be a single clutch piston seal if you can select first and third
(but both Clutch B and Clutch D piston seals may be passing slightly and when combined results in a loss)
3 of the 4 valve body tube seals serve the pressure to Clutch packs B and D; these could be sealing poorly
I'm not 100% sure but I think Solenoid EDS3 operates Clutch B, EDS6 operates Clutch D in the second gen ZF6 - so these solenoid seals or solenoids could be weak

If your 'work done' has dealt with the suggestions above and has been done correctly - then Id look at clutch packs, before concluding it might be within the valve body/block
You will need to strip down the clutch packs for those piston seals anyway.

My money would be on fluid/level or the valve tube seals as most likely suspects

Stiggles
2nd Gear

Post by Stiggles » Sat May 14, 2022 11:42 pm

ATinOf wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 4:28 pm
There's a lot happening in this thread...

Am i correct in thinking this all started with 'Cant select Reverse'? Followed by 'had some work done', followed by 'Paddles not functioning', with 'Code P1719 (gearbox limited due to engine fault that you cant find)' and 'quickly changing up through to 6th'?

If I'm reading this right the work done has not fixed the original problem and has created some new problems?

Can you give a timeline of the above if I've got it wrong?
Can you advise (or ask) exactly what the 'had some work done' was?
My problem seems sightly related to Brufo93's in that the flaps were removed and the error started showing up after this procedure even with that error coded out of the ECUs the car is sensing something is off so forcing it's way into 6th gear for safety I imagine.

When I had the flaps removed I asked for the values to be tested and one of the sensors was bad, when moved to bank 2 the fault followed it there, but it also remained in bank 1, so I've ordered two new potentiometers/sensors for the inlet manifold in hopes this resolves the issue

My car drives fine after it hits 2k rpm or so in 6th gear, I'm going to have the box serviced soon anyway as it was built and upgraded by Ricky at REP and it needs it's running in service. But from the way it drives after 2k rpm I would hazard a guess that the engine is fine it's just the sensors are throwing it off slightly.

ATinOf
3rd Gear

Post by ATinOf » Tue May 17, 2022 8:20 pm

Stiggles wrote:
Sat May 14, 2022 11:42 pm

forcing it's way into 6th gear for safety
I cant imagine this statement ringing true in any sense other than the gearbox may appear to upshift to limit the revs to 2K; in which case its likely not the gearbox forcing this upshift, but the engine ECU

AFAIK Gearbox limp mode is basically stay in third or fifth and let the engine torque deal with driving home

Return to “RS6 / RS6 Plus (C6 Typ 4F) 2008-2010”