MMI Not Working

5.0 V10 50v biturbo - 571 bhp
cammmy
2nd Gear

MMI Not Working

Post by cammmy » Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:30 pm

Hi All

My MMI unit has never had any errors until today. Now, none of the buttons on the centre console light up and the MMI screen just shows the MMI logo and goes black again.

I've checked all the fuses and run an optical diagnostic in VCDS. All electrical comes back okay and all optical are fine apart from 47-Sound System, which shows an error.

I've pulled the optical cable from the amp and i can see it's lit up, I also pulled the cable from the unit directly below it and that was lit up too.

Things that may or may not be related:

I gave the car a really good wash on Sunday. I've checked for water intrusion and haven't found any sign of it, though I haven't pulled up the carpet.
Before trying to turn on the MMI, i plugged in an amazon 3.5mm to AMI/MMI (whichever it is) cable in the glove compartment.

Anyone got any ideas? I'm taking the car on a road trip shortly and would very much like to have access to the menus, music would also be a bonus.

VaudiGR
3rd Gear

Re: MMI Not Working

Post by VaudiGR » Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:58 am

What's the 47 sound error code? What's the description? Usually that's where the problem will be.

cammmy
2nd Gear

Post by cammmy » Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:46 am

There's no description. That's all I get from the optical diagnostic. I cannot connect to any of the sound/radio/TV modules. I've ordered an optical loop to bypass the amp and see if it brings everything else back to life. Most instances of a dead amp seem to be due to the rear washer leaking on it but mine is completely dry back there. No sign of any liquid having been on the amp.

VaudiGR
3rd Gear

Post by VaudiGR » Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:50 am

You don't have VCDS I presume. Yes temporary bypass is the only solution for now

cammmy
2nd Gear

Post by cammmy » Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:45 pm

Hi, I have VCDS. I used it to perform an optical diagnostic which returned everything except for optical on the sound system as okay. I cannot connect to any of the modules with VCDS which I believe is normal when one of them fails?

I took the amp apart and found some corrosion inside and on a few of the pins. I spoke to Bose repair experts and they said the most likely explanation is that my sunroof is blocked and water has made it's way down the cable. It's on the way to them now, they believe they can fix it and should be £200.

VaudiGR
3rd Gear

Post by VaudiGR » Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:52 pm

Well done. Cheap considering the usual costs

cammmy
2nd Gear

Post by cammmy » Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:49 pm

Yeah, hopefully that's the only duff module.

These are the people I've sent It to:

https://boserepairexperts.co.uk/

They seem decent over the phone. Will report back with the results. Hoping to have it back by the 7th as I'm going on a road trip and music would be nice.

Thanks for the replies and check you sunroof drains! No sign of leakage anywhere until the unit died. The moisture was only visible once the cable was disconnected. The casing and everything around it was dry/without any staining.

cammmy
2nd Gear

Post by cammmy » Wed May 11, 2022 5:22 pm

Forgot to update this. The repaired unit came back and resolved the issue.

Return to “RS6 / RS6 Plus (C6 Typ 4F) 2008-2010”